Rpt-03-19-11 Well we tried? - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rpt-03-19-11 Well we tried?

Lal called me Friday afternoon after looking at Buoy weather, calling for 4 to 6 knots of wind locally in the morning and only 6 to 8 in the afternoon. Of course light rain was also part of the forecast, yet without wind, the rain gear works, and sometimes the fish go off in the rain? With a serious itch to go fishing after two weeks of cancellations on trips due to the weather, I'm in! Loaded the foul weather gear in the truck. Now I checked the forecast later Friday evening and things didn't change, however, Wet-sand's disagreed with Buoy Weather, calling for 12 to 16 knots of wind all day? Earlier in the day, Dave cancelled our scheduled trip to San Clemente Island, certainly a smart call! So I met Lal at his home in Cerritos at 5am. A slight breeze, and misty skies, and an occasional flurry of sprinkles. We headed toward Huntington Harbor to launch the Ducky. Exiting the 405 freeway at Bolsa Chica road, the flags were really going strong, the big flag on top of a high rise near Edinger was ripping? Stopped at the entrance to the launch area, it was blowing at least 15 with gusts over 20. Saved our ten bucks to enter and went home? Checked Buoy Weather a few minutes ago, they still are calling for 2 to 3 knots in the morning? Well you can't wind them all? Come on weather guys you got to do better than that? Heavy rain tomorrow, rain most of next week, what's a fisherman supposed to do? Hurray up and wait? Honey what was that you needed done today? Cory

This post edited by Tunaslam 03/19/2011
Tunaslam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Rpt-03-19-11 Well we tried?

Bouy weather is seldom right.the wind analysis page is real time data for local waters.from this shot its blowing 12 to 14knts where you wanted to fish.You guys should have gone to San Miguel

This post edited by gernsey 03/19/2011
Attached Images
File Type: png wea.png (71.5 KB, 0 views)
gernsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cant win 'em all.
I'm hurting too, cant wait for this weather to clear up next week.
TunaChuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

You and Lal are hardcore. I made the call to cancel my Saturday Rockfishing trip on TAXFREE when I saw the wind forecast Friday eve. Rain, I can deal with. Wind, it's a deal breaker.

See Ya.......Rich on TAXFREE
TAXFREE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Matt when they are all different which one's do you believe? Thanks for the heads up, used that site before. PS-would love to fish Miguel again, can't seem to find anyone that fishes that Island? Cory

This post edited by Tunaslam 03/19/2011
Old 03-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hi Tunaslam,

Well ...... at least you got to have a nice hot cup of coffee and buttermilk thingy from the local shop out of the deal. Got off cheap with just the gas for the rig, no launch fee for sure and ..... besides not footing the cost of getting rescued !! Speaking of foot... sure you guys got some foot excercise to boot !!

Better luck next time. I'm using weather underground and going to the marine forcast .... little difficult to find but .... It has a pretty good reliability rate. Besides .... you can check the Huntington Beach forecast on that where you can't on the bouy data site which is loacated way the heck up and out of Palo Verde.

Await either Ducky or Clemente killer trip report in the near future.

Oh ya ..... as always ..... fantastic wrap-up report ... hope everyone read it !

tsurikichi
tsurikichi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 12:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Same here Cory......,

Me & Juan were loaded up and ready to roll,I thought we could get in a few hours in close before the wind got too bad.A friend on the Betty-O said they were blown off at 1:30 on Fri.

But I awoke at 4am to a steady downpour and the thought of launching & loading at low tide on the rain-slickened ramps at MDR made me send him a text and go back to bed....... :Maybe next week...
rubble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunaslam
Matt when they are all different which one's do you believe? Thanks for the heads up, used that site before.

PS-would love to fish Miguel again, can't seem to find anyone that fishes that Island?

Cory
These sites are only making predictions based on computer models.You can't predict the weather 100%,to many variables.I try to do my own forcast from the real time data of bouys, wind analysis and experience.I believe you have to be in control of your decisions when it comes to the ocean.Relying on others will only get you into trouble out there.
gernsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gernsey
Quote:
Matt when they are all different which one's do you believe? Thanks for the heads up, used that site before.

PS-would love to fish Miguel again, can't seem to find anyone that fishes that Island?

Cory
These sites are only making predictions based on computer models.You can't predict the weather 100%,to many variables.I try to do my own forcast from the real time data of bouys, wind analysis and experience.I believe you have to be in control of your decisions when it comes to the ocean.Relying on others will only get you into trouble out there.
If the forecast is for bad seas we stay home, a few miles offshore and a modest forecast allows for taking some chances, often leading to some decent fishing in the morning and a fast retreat late morning or early afternoon. Although we all know even when the weather sites agree, sometimes they still get it wrong both worse and better than forecasted. Appreciate the heads up Matt!
Cory
Old 03-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gernsey
Quote:

Cory
X2 on this!!I do these same things.So far...most of the time I get it right.

I get up around 4am check what the West Channel is doing,and usually make my call from there.10knts or more I dont go to Rosa let alone Miguel.
When I'm out there I keep my eyes peeled to the West for ANY whitecaps.If I see em its lines up,and headin for the barn while listing to those same bouy reports while fishin.

I really like iwindsurf for my data...check it out. I know the Channel Islands,and local Captains use this one.

I'll getcha out there Cory....as soon as this **** weather blows though...way things are linin up looks like that may be sometime in April...if we're lucky.
MJ.
parker2120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.