Saturday 6-16 Bass & Slimer report - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Saturday 6-16 Bass & Slimer report

Hit the dock around 6 opted to pass on the bait and stick to artificials so we headed straight for some of the local reefs off HB. Weather was heavy overcast with a mocderate wind for early morning but no swell to speak of.

Water was 67-68 degrees and clean, and bait was everywhere. We stopped on 4 or 5 spots to find great marks but none of the fish wanted to bite. We picked up a nice fat Calico on the plastic, but not much else off the reefs. We saw the birds building just outside so we ran out to some deeper water and found lots of porpoise. The sport boats were now arriving on scene and based on the fact we saw boats from San Pedro and Newport we figured this was the only game in town.

It was the classic run & gun type fishing with the Cuda moving quickly. Not having any bait to keep them tight we had to plan for our attack and we did pretty good getting a dozen or so to bite the iron. They were eating the micro anchovies so the smaller the jig the better. Ever now and then we would meter some Bass so we would hit them with the plastics for some nice fish.

The wind really kicked in by Noon and was making it tough in our small boat so by 2 so we called it a day.

We got roughly a dozen each of Bass & Cuda, all nice size fish and released. It looks to me the Sandies are in the pre-spawn mode as they are starting to stack in the 60' range around the SBJ area so I'm hoping we might have a more normal Sand Bass spawn this year.
Whopperstopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Saturday 6-16 Bass & Slimer report

Sounds like a fun day, good job!
Tunaslam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Congrats on your trip I was also out there with the fleet. We ended the day around noon too with 5 barries and a fat sand bass.

Mike
Mike_I is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi Whopperstopper,

Great report !! Appreciate the uptodate info and I'm sure others will too !! Ought to be a good sized armada out there today too !! Hope the fishys don't get too stirred up and go skittish on us again next week !!

Bassin' just has to get better and better. Have you checked out the post on the discussions that will start of Bass regs here on Allcoast?
If not .... check it out.

tsurikichi
tsurikichi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yes I posted on that topic.

This post edited by Whopperstopper 06/18/2012
Old 06-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

WTG Whopperstopper,great report with some good info.You guys did really well without bait,just think of the bucks you saved,for inshore fishing I only miss using bait when targeting halibut.
Thanks again for the report.

Cya Tuna Vic
Old 06-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, I have opted to skip on the bait to make up for the increased gas cost. Even on my small boat a day of fishing is not an inexpensive activity, but the flip side lose a few jigs and the bait cost is almost a wash. In my opinion fishing with artificials makes you try harder, when they turn up their nose you have to keep going to the tackle box to see what works, and presentation is so critical.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

I feel your pain....My V8 makes every trip a spendy one. Gas at Catalina is $6.85 a gallon for Regular. Ouch !!! Thanks for your report. Tim
scubasmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.