Big 'ole Bay Bass....... - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 01:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Big 'ole Bay Bass.......

Santa Monica Bay that is....., Got a late start 'cause of having to rewire the bait pump at the guest dock but it was low tide anyway so no biggy..... Chatted with Mike at the bait dock & got a 1/2 scoop of nice,healthy 'dines. 1st stop at a local reef showed some life & sure enough they were chewin'..... The plastics Even pink.... A couple of calicos & sandies were caught when I got hammered on the drop by a fish I couldn't stop w/15# P-line on a 300te. It took me to its lair & stayed there 'till I finally had to back the boat up to get some line back & get more vertical as the wind was carrying me away.... After about 10mins.of tug-a war I managed to get it to start up and thought for a minute it was a big 'Butt as it seemed plane up & shake its head like one.Juan was ready with the gaff to see what had me struggling so long hopeing for another nice 'butt when we see a BIG Sand Bass come to color. I told Juan to gaff it anyway as I figured the line was probably pretty tore up after the tussle on the bottom. pic doesn't do it justice.....26in long...!!! The bite turned off so we headed south to the Hermosa area where Juan got his big 'Butt 2wks. ago.There were a dozen boats drifting the area looking for leftover WSB or 'Butts I guess.All we were getting were sand dabs & after 6-8 passes in 90-50ft we & the others started back as the wind/waves were getting to the popcorn stage. Made one last stop at a reef just past high tide on the way in and on the 1st drift I get hammered a but this time I got the upper hand early......, but it was only 5 lbs ........ 'Till next time.....

This post edited by rubble 06/24/2012
rubble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Big 'ole Bay Bass.......

those are some big ol' bassies.
Wils is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Big 'uns there fo' sho'!

Thanks for the report!
Baja Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi rubble,

Nice goin' on the biger models. Your PB Sandie for this year .... so far ?

thanks, and great report.

tsurikichi
tsurikichi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Really nice bass !!! Too bad you had to kill those big breeders. The smaller 2-3 lbers taste better than the big ones !!
Tailman One is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailman One
Really nice bass !!! Too bad you had to kill those big breeders. The smaller 2-3 lbers taste better than the big ones !!

Wow....,now we've got sand bass police.......
Don't worry Lal,I release 9 of 10 bass I catch & have my own reasons for keeping the ones I do.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rubble, TAXFREE Rich here. Don't let Lal's comment about killing the big breeders hit you the wrong way.

I'm sure he didn't mean to climb down your throat about it. It's just that some of us fishermen have made the decision to impose a self-imposed slot limit on those toads, so that we might see some bigger models, like we used to, in years past.

We're not against consuming what you catch, just thinking about the future. Heck, my family ate 10 Sand bass today.

I always enjoy your fishing adventures, and the cool reports with photos that you post up. Keep 'em coming.

I wish I was as computer savvy as you are.

See Ya......Rich on TAXFREE
TAXFREE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Very cool Rubble,that Sandie was a pig,the last big one I got was around 7lbs and man did that thing pull,they bare amazingly strong especially the first few seconds of the fight.
Congrats on the good day!

Cya Tuna Vic
Old 06-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

rubble, Thanks for sharing your day of fishing with us. I have read many of your reports with you releasing the majority of your catch. You have gone ABOVE and BEYOND your duty to keep our fishery Healthy. Keep up the GREAT job...Thx Tim
scubasmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 12:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

I totally respect those that follow a slot-limit rule & encourage others who catch alot of Bass to do so if possible.....
Me & Juan have our days,but we NEVER have those 30-50 fish days that the hardcore,get out at 4am to fish the greylight bite fisherman do.
We're weekend warriors who get a gentleman's start at whenever-thirty & if we catch a LIMIT of keepers between us we're MORE than happy...:P

BTW...,I don't even EAT fish except some Halibut & some occasional Rockfish tacos or Sandbass ceviche.Juan however,was raised on fish & his family loves it.I warned him of the danger of too much SMB fish too.On this day however I knew we were gonna get blown out early & we actually only got 3 sandbass & 6 sand dabs that day.2 calicos were released.2 weeks ago when he got his big Halibut we only got that,1 big sandie & a few dabs....,(all caught by him).
My only fish was a appr. 5lb Calico that I released w/o even taking a pic or giving it a 2nd thought.Juan still looks at me like I'm Crazy when I do that...

Anyway,I just wanted to thank everyone for they're responses & I know Lal was only looking out for the best interest of our local fishery & I respect Him for it.

See ya all on the water...!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.