Rpt-Wed-06-27-12 Local B and B. - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rpt-Wed-06-27-12 Local B and B.

Fishing Wed. 6-27-12, with Lal on his 18? boat: The ?Rubber Ducky?. I met Lal at his house in Cerritos at 4:30am. We headed down to Davies in Los Alamitos and launched the boat at 5:15 am. It has been a long time since we were able to leave the harbor in these ideal conditions:

Lal set a course for Izor?s Reef. Given the grease calm seas we were able to cruise out at 28 MPH. The ocean was virtually empty, not a sole in sight. Water temps were depressing, 60 degrees in the harbor and 59.6 at Izor?s Reef. We fished the upper end for a slow pick on the Bass. I caught and released a couple of frisky Calico Bass while Lal released a huge Rubber lipped Perch and a small Sand Bass on our first drift.

The current and drift kept changing as we worked our way through a number of pin on the reef. I caught this 3+ pound Sand Bass on a oz. lead head and a 4? Red Flake plastic:

Not long after I was bit Lal gets slammed on a similar Plastic and this fish has the ?it factor?, taking drag and providing some serious head shakes. Up comes one big fat Sandy just over six pounds:

Lal moves us to some other points on the Reef and I hook a nice Sand Bass. This one is a little over 3 pounds:

We continued to have a slow pick on the Bass. One more picture:

The water temp was now at 58.5 degrees, how could it drop while the sun is shining and the wind is calm? Very weird.

It was 9am, and after low tide, which was now slack and the bite became nonexistent. Off in the distance, near the upper end of the Shoe, the fleet was building. A few weeks ago Lal and I caught limits of Barracuda an I smoked up a batch of ten. After taking my smoked Cuda to work, and sharing them amongst my friends, I received favorable feedback on the taste. I myself was very pleased and love to enjoy smoked fish as an appetizer at break time at work. Lal being my most adamant critic, also gave a favorable comment on the smoked Barracuda, after stating that he could not believe any part of Barracuda could ever taste good?

So I requested another attempt at catching some Barracuda for more smoking, given my supply has now dwindled with the frequent requests for more. We approached the fleet and found birds diving in numerous areas. We slid up on some boils under the birds, and Lal got hammered on his plastic. He landed a nice 30 inch Barracuda. I was hammered on the iron no less than five times on my first cast with no solid hook ups. Another five casts and more short bites, and finally a solid hook up. This Barracuda was also 30?.

The Sport Boats were constantly on the move, as the Barracuda were on a mission, somewhere I do not know, yet they quickly vacated the area? We also moved around and caught several more Barracuda, with Lal catching the big one, and I released several at 28 and 27?. We brought home 4 keeper size Barracuda, which I hope justifies a batch of brine?

The fleet broke up, and we moved on to other spots, and drifted over some stones that Lal had marked on the Shoe. All the rocks had great meter readings, yet none produced any fish. The current was now ripping and the wind building. At high noon, the winds were up to 15 knots. We tried a few more spots, however, even with 2 oz. lead heads could hardly reach bottom. Headed in and on the trailer at 1pm.

A dozen Bass and half dozen Barracuda with grease calm weather in the morning equals a sweet day on the water! Amazingly the water temps rose to over 65 degrees by noon?

Thanks Lal, another great adventure on the Rubber Ducky!

Hook up! Cory
Tunaslam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Rpt-Wed-06-27-12 Local B and B.

Great report, somehow we missed you out there today which was hard to do as there were very few boats out. We just could not get those cuda to bite, every time we pulled up on the diving birds the fish scattered quickly. If the water cleans up some and comes back up to 67 we are in fr a treat!
Whopperstopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Another great report Cory...,love the details & beautiful pics.

I guess I'll have to try a new brine & give the 'cuda another try on the smoker if given the chance.
Last batch I did wasn't so good,yet the salmon & tuna came out great !!!.

Thanks for the report.
rubble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi Tunaslam,

Looks like a great trip once again. Thought you guys were going to PV but guess plans change. Called Lal once but guess he forgot his cell ... no matter .... 10 minutes later and I saw you off in the distance.

Waved hello and Lal held up 2 fingers ... couldn't tell if it was two Barracuda or 20 Bass !! Please be sure and send me a photo of my holding up my 33 inch cuda I held up in Viking style on the stern.

Until next trip,

tsurikichi
tsurikichi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurikichi
Hi Tunaslam,

Looks like a great trip once again. Thought you guys were going to PV but guess plans change. Called Lal once but guess he forgot his cell ... no matter .... 10 minutes later and I saw you off in the distance.

Waved hello and Lal held up 2 fingers ... couldn't tell if it was two Barracuda or 20 Bass !! Please be sure and send me a photo of my holding up my 33 inch cuda I held up in Viking style on the stern.

Until next trip,

tsurikichi
Sorry Ron I never saw you hold up the Cuda, nor did we take a picture?
Cory
Old 06-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubble

I guess I'll have to try a new brine & give the 'cuda another try on the smoker if given the chance.

Thanks for the report.
If you want Robert I can send you my brine formula by email?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunaslam
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubble

Thanks for the report.
If you want Robert I can send you my brine formula by email?
Please do Cory....,do you use it on other fish too...???
Thanks.
rubble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 02:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

WOW great report Cory, glad you and Lal got out on the Ducky again!
RonBeach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Cory nice gray light harbor pictures thanks for sharing.

Glad to see someone is getting out and catching some fish.
Keith Poe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.