Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

Rogue Waves

4K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  dms 
#1 ·
Check out this story:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1540&e=3&u=/afp/science_sea

#2 ·
What would you do if you seen a wave like that approaching you in a boat--
a. bend over and try to smootch your booty goodbye?

b. say hell with it , aim your boat directly at the wave and scream at the top of your lungs BONZAIII!!!

c. say hell with it , position your boat in a manner as to surf your way to valhalla with the wave ?

d. say hell with it , jump outa your boat for the body surf experiance you've been waiting for ?

e. if a gorgeous woman is around , uh --go out in style?

f. get that last cast in with your favorite iron before oblivion ?---ya never know!!

#6 ·
I remember watching a Storm series show on the weather channel about a father and son that were fishing near the coast and a rogue wave left them and their boat several hundred feet on the side of a mountain. I don't recall where they were fishing and the actual name of the show, but I would love to get it, any help out there?

#11 ·
Redelf
I believe the show you were watching was on the National Geographic Channel that was talking about rogue tidal waves caused by land slides. The incident you mentioned happened up in Alaska and a giant landslide caused a tidal wave that caught three boats up in its path. The boats were pushed through an inlet and one boat was lucky enough to end up on land with a father and son who lived to tell about it. The other two boats were pushed out to the open sea were they capsized and sank, all aboard died. I hope this was the show, you might be able to contact the network and see if a tape of that episode is available.... Wayne

#13 ·
Yeah that was what I was thinking too. I saw that one and it was amazing. I mean you could see the tree line like a hundred feet off the water line all gone. All gone. I couldn't believe it. It was truly an amazing story of disaster and discovery. Can you imagine being the father and son who were sitting on a mountain side after a nice day fishing and then not know what the heck just happend.

Mike

#16 ·
Unfortunately, the article gave no data with regard to baseline conditions surrounding the monster waves, other than the QE II's encounter during a hurricane. Can they just suddenly occur in flat calm seas, or are they always generated in storm conditions? I remember the Fish'n Fool, and have been to Ben's rock since the accident. Sitting there at anchor, I can't help but wonder...

#18 ·
I saw my first rogue wave at SBI about 6 years ago. We were off the NW side when my buddy said, looking in the direction of the northern Channel Islands, "what island is that?" It looked like a giant pyramid. I couldn't figure out what I was looking at for a moment, then figured out that it was moving, and toward us. I'd say it was at least 40 ft. or more. The main bulk of it, the peak, passed to the outside of SBI and our position, but the whole thing spread out in a giant ground swell. I decided to motor into the swell, and that turned out right because I just rode up, up, up, and over it and watched as it rolled passed into and against SBI. The mass pyramid shaped part of the wave continued on to the outside of SBI and who knows where it ended up or whether it died. I checked with the Coast Guard and they had no reports of it.

The outside shallow part of SBI called Arch Reef took a big hit. That's often a great spot for WSB on the hook. I have never anchored there again after that wave. You couldn't have had enough scope to ride it out if anchored, and if the hook held you would roll, and I think that is what happens in rogue wave fatalities.

Fish the Tides - Freddie

#20 ·
There was story about a rogue wave that killed a few people off of Mexico about ten years ago in Sportfishing mag. Apparently one boat was able to escape,but it sunk two other vessels.Estimated over 100ft.came outta nowhere on a flat calm day off the mainland of Mexico

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.