Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

Big Dodo's, The REAL solo maiden voyage and learni

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  freddie 
#1 ·
Trailering my newly purchased 91' Cabo 215 Cuddycon, up from San Diego last month, I tell wifey I'm going 90 miles out for tuna on the maiden voyage. She scuttled that thought with a "NO-THE MAIDEN VOYAGE WILL BE WITH THE FAMILY!." I grudgendly aggreed. So after several Tours to the Dana Point sand bar, and tours of seals on bouys with friends, wifey and my 2 year old,(I never thought I would say, Oh! look at the Seals!) It was finaly my time.
No sleep as usual the night before due to excitment of fishing, My Wife asked me why am I going so far out and I replied, "because thats where the fish are!!!" (Capt Billy Tyne of the Andrea Gail-he died though)
So At 0500 Loaded with bait, fuel and a "as far out as I can go" mentality I left DP. Stopped at every little piece of kelp, saw several tailers'. Slow trolled a kelp no bigger than a MacDonalds salad, hooked a jumping dodo only to lose him at the boat. Hoping he has amigo's I worked it for another hr. Lots of boats in the area, radio chatter, heard Swazi, Mas Taquilla, the well known voices, and talks of WO YT 16 shy of the 43, so I run in that direction.

Then I notice the little oil arrow slips to the "time to put some more in" level. No problem-I have a gallon. This be plenty, In my Zodiak! But in this boat, I use more of everything- oil, gas, food, money. Stupid me. So I run to O-side, arrive @1:30 Pay a gazzillion $ for fuel and oil head to the 43 @ 2:00 at 30MPH.

1 hr later-a paddy with birds on it-the best kind. Throw in a bait, and immediately zipped by a nice dodo. Jumped about 6 times and made my walk-around cuddy into a "run-around" cuddy about 6 times-sure is nice to have that feature. 30 minutes later, he's gaffed and I was beat. I repeated this procedure on 2 more similar quality in 1.5 hrs. Just when you think they are done, they peel off another 50 yrds-amazing fish with attitude. Gave them all the time they needed. Total- 3 nice dodo's, 25 to 30lbs. Another highlight was a 6ft mako jumping 8 feet in the air and tail flipped after my hooked dodo.
Cruised home at 30MPH, Back at DP at 8:eek:o, an unforgetful 1st trip. very bloody boat-lots to clean for one person. Got home at 0130. My next post's will be alot shorter and to the point-I promise.

Jeff

See less See more
#5 ·
RE: Big Dodo's, The REAL solo maiden voyage and le

Nice trip Jeff! My boat is kept in Dana Point and I trailer it to San Diego also. Shoot me an email if you want to buddy out some time. I have a 25' Wellcraft and go out every Saturday (part of my marriage agreement , she makes me leave).

Tim
"JollyMon"
CyberSarj@aol.com

#9 ·
RE: Big Dodo's, The REAL solo maiden voyage and le

As a former Cabo 216 owner, I was with you all the way on the report. Had a similar day alone on the 277 in my old Cabo, but my Dodos were only 10 to 15 lbs. Is there a more fun fish to catch!

Fish the Tides - Freddie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.