Newell P338-F and P533-4.6F - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2004, 07:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newell P338-F and P533-4.6F

I bought 2 Newell reels, P338-F and P533-4.6F. I noticed in many posts the Newell drags are not durable and the prefered replacement is the HT-100 drags. Are the drags on the P series reels the same drags? If yes, should I change them before I go out on a 4 day trip Labor day weekend on the Independence? Thanks for your input.
yelloweye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2004, 08:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default RE: Newell P338-F and P533-4.6F

Yelloweye

Just to qualify what I am going to say in my humble opinion. I am a user of and fanantic of Newell (P and S), Penn (Jigmaster to Gold) and Daiwa (30 SHV, Saltiga 50SLT).

If your P's are new don't go and tear them apart to change this or that. Go and enjoy what a great reel you just bought. Carl Newell would not just make junk. And even if it where true about Newell drags (which I beleive it is not) change your gear when you wear it out. I truly wonder after reading alot of posts how often someone gets start to change gear around based on hype before they even use it.

Both of those reels stock will work just fine on a four day. What I would suggest spool the reel up and practice, practice, practice on casting.Your time will be much better spent doing that rather than ripping apart your new reels for nothing.

I would suggest after practicing before your trip: The P's have bearing caps on both sides drop some speed-X and just GO FISHING.
leicafish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2004, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't have any of the new P's, rather, I own the older ones.

IMHO, I'd do something Carl doesn't recommend doing.....I'd tear down both reels completely, including the bases. I'd degrease both reels and put on some new Cal's grease.....all screws, gears, bridge plate, bridge sleeve etc. as well as between the ss and aluminum parts. Ensure that all screws are tight. Also, degrease the bearings and put on a drop of Speed-X. Adjust left bearing cup as necessary.

If you really wanna go nuts, get some 2000 grit sandpaper and get the end of the spool spindles and the inside of the pinion gear.

Since I don't own any of the new P's, I can't personally comment on the fiber washers but I have read a couple positive things on this board. I do use the HT-100's and have nothing but positive comments about them.

Tunacious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2004, 03:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Tunacious has it right on, a routine I perform on every new reel I've ever bought. As for drag washers, my two 533's (40# bait rigs) both have smoothie extremes with a breath of Cal's new drag grease and perform perfectly, fish after fish after fish. My 533's are S series and came with super smoothies. Didn't Newell change washers recently?
sactotuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2004, 03:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to tunachris

Leave em alone and fish em. Don't mess with anything until needed. Enjoy!
Chris
tunachris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2004, 04:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

The drags are totally fine - don't do it! Have fun & good luck on your trip! abert
Abert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.