Reel for 100# test - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2004, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Reel for 100# test

Im going to buy a reel for 100# test.I have a Tiagra 50 LRS and a Tiagra 30.Any reel sugestions for in between?Thanks for your input AL
albacore1231 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2004, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Reel for 100# test

Is your 50 LRS a wide model? I did not know they made a narrow 50LRS. If that's the case, and you have a 50WLRS, the logical choice is either a TI59 or a 50S or get ahold of a 50T and have it two-speeded.
Steve K is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2004, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Tiagra50 is the wide version.The 50S is one reel im thinking about. Thanks AL
albacore1231 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2004, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

A 50s or a 2-speeded 50t makes a mighty fine reel for 100 pound line. You don't need a 50w. Please don't buy a graphite framed reel for heavy line. I witnessed a wahoo rip a TLD 50-II apart.

A Penn 30 narrow (2-speed) is also not bad if you load it with spectra. The newer Tiagra 30 reels appear to be every bit as good.

Watch the Advertiser's Board and EBAY for real reel deels. Sometimes I see a 50s for sale at a very good price and as a bonus it will often be loaded with spectra and will have already been to see Cal or Cofe, etc. Great deals at opportune times.

Until you find a good deal, you might be able to borrow reels from the boat you are aboard. I know the RP will do this and sometimes the reels & spectra are in good condition, (not always).

Utah
Utah_Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2004, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

A Wahoo tore a TLD-50 apart? WOW! I knew these reels had limits but a wahoo seems to not be the usual suspect to push its limits. What actually happened? curious is all...
EDOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2004, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

When kite fishing this guy had a wahoo grab his bait and make a big run. The reel instantly parted the reel seat leaving the bottom of the reel remaining in the seat.

The wahoo wasn't able to pull the guides off the rod so with help of some crew holding the reel, the wahoo was reeled in and taught a serious lesson.

I'm thinking the reel's graphite frame already had a crack and the 'hoo happened to be the next in line to test it.

Utah
Utah_Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2004, 08:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to fshman1

True.....ive seen 4 tld's explode and fall apart in a 4 hour period...Ray
fshman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2004, 04:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to tunachris

Although hoo's aren't nearly as tough as a big tune, I don't think anything puts as much pressure on gear during the first run. It is scary how tenacious a hoo is once it locks down on something. Witness how many wahoo make multiple runs, and then open their mouths at boatside and swim away without ever having been hooked.

chris
tunachris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2004, 07:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

What do you call your Ti 50WLRS??? This of course is a 100-lb rig...just a question of application. The Tiagra's are heavy as compared to Penns....since you have a Class 30 reel, it seems that a narrow Class 50 reel may be a good choice depending on how you desire to use the reel.

When someone says 100-lb line, I generally assume they also mean higher drag settings than one would generally use on say a Class 30 reel. I posted on this matter in the past and feel that Class 30 reels run out of gas as drags exceed 20-lbs....crank force becomes too great for comfort. Therefore, it is really simple...if you want 25-lbs of drag or greater, then you need a larger reel and should consider the Class 50 reels. On the other hand if all you want is 100-lb line and are satisfied with 20-lbs of drag, then a Class 30 reel will suffice.....""Fish hard""...:+,
R.
Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.