Joe Miller Knot - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2004, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Joe Miller Knot

Indy 10 day, deckhand Chris shows us a new (to me) knot. It has the advantage of 2 wraps around the hook eye, like a Trilene or Double San Diego, but is smaller & is suppose to be good for most line classes. It goes like this.

*2 times around the eye of the hook, like a Trilene.

*Tag end 3 times around the standing line.

*Tag end back through the double loop by the hook eye.

*Tag end 3 times around the standing line in the same direction as the first 3 wraps around the standing line. Check for crossed loops at the hook eye & fix if needed.

*Lubricate, pull tag & standing line snug but not tight. If it is not pretty, start over.

*Pull standing line tight, then tag end tight.

Did not have failures on 100lb class Tuna. I have been using the Trilene & Double San Diego for these types of trips. Any comments?

Limit (yourself)
Limit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2004, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Joe Miller Knot

ive been posting that that is an ideal knot for all line situations forthe 6 months ive been a member here... and no one ever tried it or commented it... guess you have to be on a l.r. boat to be taken seriously.

jamesthefisherman
dolphinslayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2004, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would be interested in one of the guys with the line testers checking the breaking strength of a few different line classes.

Lots of people have favorite knots. When the pros who fish for a living talk, I listen a little closer. Chris seemed pretty knowledgeable.

Limit (yourself)
Old 12-30-2004, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

not to get fussy, but you caught me on a bad day ( a really bad one actually) i was a fishing boat deckhand for 8 yrs... also had it tested cuz i didnt trust it when i first saw it and it was basically a 100% knot, usually broake at or above the rating and usually not at the knot...

jamesthefisherman
dolphinslayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2004, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is there any graphics for this knot anywhere?
Thanks, Jim
Old 12-30-2004, 09:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Got to agree, Chris is really helpful and full of knowledge. He also showed me a slick way when tying 130# - 200# mono:
Started by doing a standard double San Diego, but after finishing the turns around the line and feeding it through the loops above the hook, he took the loop of line he had just fed through and ran it under all the turns around the standing part.

As to the Miller Knot, I have a lot of faith in it as well.

Look forward to fishing with him and the Indy at Hurricane next year.

The Sol Searcher

[b][i] Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
--Albert Einstein
sol searcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2004, 04:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Reese

Not sure I get it.

When you do the second set of three wraps with the tag end, where does the tag end go? I mean, just wrapping it around the standing line, won't it unwrap? Doesn't the tag end have to pass through a loop somewhere to hold it?

What am I not getting?
Reese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2004, 07:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Here is a description of a Miller knot from 1999.
They sound similar but different.

UT
---------------------------------------------

Miller knot.

Posted by Rex SD on April 09, 1999 at 22:51:24:
In Reply to: How do you tie a miller knot.............nm posted by tk on April 09, 1999 at 15:38:59:
tk,
It took me a while to figure out how to tie this knot even with help from Rodney on the Qualifier 105. So I don't know if you will be able to understand my description but here it goes. Also since the knot starts like the Trilene knot, it will be easier to understand if you know this knot or can look at a description on how to tie it. They are available in most knot books or web sites.
Step 1. You put the line through the eye of the hook twice. You wrap the tag end around the main line going away from the hook only one and a half times. Like the Trilene knot, you then put the tag end through the loop made by going back to the hook and under the line that is wrapped around the hook's eye.
As in the Trilene knot, be careful not to let the two lines through the eye cross else the crossing wrap will cut into the other wrap.
2. For me, this was the hard part. So far, you have a loose Trilene knot with only one and a half turns. You now take the loop (that was formed from the top of the wrap to the part of the tag end that goes the loop described above) and turn if approximately one and a half turn in a direction opposite the original wraps from step one were made. Use you finger at the top of this loop as you perform this step because you must put the tag end through this loop.
3. Now you put the tag end through the loop at the farthest point from the hook. This is tricky. The line can go through this loop from two directions. You chose the direction so that the line comes out of the loop the same as the main line goes into this loop. These should line up when the loop is turned about one and a half turns as described in step 2.
Now you‚??re ready to tighten the knot. If it was made correctly, there will be a figure eight forming above the two wraps that go around the hook‚??s eye and the tag end comes out of the figure eight next to and main line going into the figure eight towards the hook.
4. To tighten, pull both line at the same time away from the hook but let the tag end slip through you fingers so the figure eight can tighten. Once the figure eight is tight against the hook, pull on both lines to tighten the knot.
If the tag end went through the final loop correctly, then it will be adjacent the main line like the Palomar knot. If the tag end went through the final loop incorrectly, the tag end will stick out 90 degrees or more from the main line.
5. Once you‚??re sure the knot has been tied correctly, cut the tag end.
Hope this helps. Maybe this explanation with a little trial and error will do the trick. And if anyone else has a better explanation, I'm all ears.
Rex
Utah_Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2004, 11:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

The first three wraps with the tag end are finished then the tag end goes back under the double wrap around the hook eye. That creates the loop that you are looking for when you are done with the second set of three wraps. Wrapping the second set in the same direction as the first three makes the tag end come out of the loop adjacent to the standing line instead of at a 90.

The 1999 explanation seemed overly difficult to me. It did not seem "trickey" to me to keep the loops around the eye straight. The knot seemed generally easy to tie & a ring to pull on was not required, but it helped. Nice to have a knot to tie while you are standing there instead of having to go find something to pull on.

"Caserock" had an interesting tool he used this year on our "Success trip". Instead of the ring, Michael had a short length of chain in his pocket he would pull out & tighten knots with. He would hold the line in one hand & the chain in the other.

Limit (yourself)
Old 01-02-2005, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Back before Joe Miller packed up his cats and moved east, I had the opportunity to fish with him many times. He showed me the knot but being left handed, I tried to translate it to tie left.
Although I believed I was doing it exactly like he did (but backwards) he didn‚??t agree.
I gave in and learned it right handed‚?¶
Sounds like UT‚??s description has it, but it is not as easy a knot to talk about as it is to actually tie.
I‚??ve used it for everything up to 60# with complete confidence.
I get on the board at FH with it (for a while, at least) every year. The Izor guys let me try it on 100 a couple times and it went ~120 (good numbers were in the 140‚??s) I think it would be ok for even 100. It‚??s tough to cinch in the heavier string though‚?¶
Afaiac, it‚??s the only knot I need to use‚?¶
Much more compact than the "hangman‚??s knot" (as Joe liked to call them *g*)
jiggermyster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.