Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

Rogue Rods

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BobO 
#1 ·
These guys were at the show for the first time. An Oregon outfit I hadn't heard of. They were as amazed at the show as I was impressed by their rods. I told the guy about how I use a Loomis 1085 w/15lb for calicos. He showed me a 9'3" salmon rod that would be killer for this application.

Anyone heard of this outfit?

Joe

#2 ·
I fish 8' salmon rods for the 3Bs from time to time but prefer a faster action rod. A salmon rod's action is softer than I like and hard to rip a calico outta the kelp with...at least, compared to an extra fast Loomis. For WSB, halibut & salmon the softer action is needed though. I'm guessing this new rod mfr is somewhere in the Meford area...am I right?

#4 ·
There was a rumor that a relation to G.Loomis was attached to the operation, but who knows. Fisherman's Access in Brea has some of their equipment, specifically trout rods. Ultra, ultra, light, great components and great action. These rods are made for splitshotting powerworms and Lipripperz, and throwing mini-jigs. Pricey,though. I would think it's a must have for trout tackle ho's. Rod and a nice reel....3-400 Benjamins. I would like to see their other stuff.

#7 ·
You are right.

I stopped by the Rogue booth and I think I pulled on the same rod. Salmon rods have changed a lot in the last few years with a growing popularity of fast and extra fast taper rods with backbone for gaining better control over big fish in fast water conditions.

Backbone isn't a problem with these sticks, you just need to match the stick to the line test you want to use.

The SM973C is a fast taper one pc 9'3" stick rated for 12-25, appeared to me to be a good 15/20 lb stick. Its not 4 bills either as MSRP is $209 according to the 2005 catalog.

Rogue also offers the traditional moderate taper salmon rods for mooching and side drift fishing.

BobO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.