Shimano TLD-15 Problems. PLEASE HELP - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shimano TLD-15 Problems. PLEASE HELP

I have TLD-15 which was used extensively for only ONE season without major problems. But now it tightens up when lever is moved to strike or to Full position. I can BARELY turn the handle. Took to local shop and they told that's because of the salt built up and bearings may need to be oiled/greased/replaced. I disassembled the reel - so no salt inside, no rust on gears. HOWEVER, I wasnâ??t able to get to the bearing. I didnâ??t want to push too hard, but spool is not removable or I couldn't find the easy way :-( So, I cleaned and oiled the reel, but problem persists :-(

PLEASE HELP. THANX IN ADVANCE.
BigBill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Shimano TLD-15 Problems. PLEASE HELP

Hey Bill
Most likely, the bearing in the right side plate is frozen, or nearly so. If you get a new one, and change it out, I bet your problem will be solved.
The handle turns fine when the reel is out of gear, or is in gear with little pressure on the drag as the pinion gear can still run easily in the frozen bearing. As you increase the pressure on the spool, it pushes the pinion into the bearing more and more. If the bearing doesn't turn, you now have something like a bushing- which doesn't work in this instance at all.
You don't really have to take the spool out of the reel- just get the right side plate off, and you'll probably have to remove the handle and main gear too, and the bearing should fall right out. Replace the bearing, put the side plate together, and back on the reel, and you should be in good shape.
FWIW... that bearing does freeze more often than the others. You can pack it with fairly heavy grease if you want. It might make it a little tougher turning the handle, but it'll last longer.
dfitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2005, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

dfitz,

Thanx for the reply and detailed instruction - I'll try to fix the reel today. Hopefully, it'll work for me. Results tomorrow.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had the same problem with one of my TLD 15's but this was after 10 yrs of of pretty hard use. It was a bearing and I can't remember if it was frozen or split but Hawk replaced it. I can't see corrosion or salt build up causing your problem after just 1 year, Have you contacted Shimano? Their service and response is second to none.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2005, 05:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

No worries, Bill. Just make sure you take the sideplate off BEFORE you take off the handle assembly- it's a lot easier that way. Sometimes the bearing will just fall out, and you won't have to deal with the handle stuff at all.
Those bearings sometimes last forever, and sometimes for one trip. I used to replace them with ABEC 3 sealed bearings, which did seem to help some, and they weren't any more spendy than the stock Shimano bearings. I'm not sure where you'd find them now though. Just pack the bearing with relatively heavy grease, and go fishing.
dfitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2005, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

You, GUYS, were right - bearing is frozen, for no reason :-( and need to be replaced. Now, how to order it? I have no idea what size is it. External size is slighly smaller than 3/4", internal is about 1/4" and heith is about 1.25*1/8".

This bearing is #212 on this service diagram
http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/us/en/fishing/products/reels/reels_saltwater_conventional/tld/tld15.SchematicPar.Single.File.tmp/98TLD_15.pdf

I'm planning to buy from this site :
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/CTGY/Fishing-Reel-Bearings/SESSION_ID/1b430f5ffce1dfa59ac0b54cf6d6e3c3

THANX
Old 03-10-2005, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey BigBill.

If I were you, I would call Shimano Service and ask them to send you the bearing. Just put some light oil on it and it should be fine. If there is grease on the new bearing, clean with lighter fluid per Hawk and put some speed-X or Reel-X on there.

Shimano will usually send you the part for free, so save a few bucks.

Min
harddrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2005, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Question: Taking into consideration that the thrust bearing that was frozen has nothing to do with freespool or castability, what would be the point in flushing it out and relubing it with something lighter?

Answer: No point at all!

This bearing should be greased or at the least lubed with a heavy oil. The reasons are that this bearing is the one under pressure in the drag system and this bearing is also the one that gets corroded the worst with regular use. A heavier lubricant will give this bearing better protection and won't affect castability one bit.

FISH HARD!

Chris

EDIT: sp
Baja Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2005, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

I agree. The main bearing should have grease or heavy oil to prevent corrosion. It's the spool bearings that do well with flushing and relubing with light oil.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2005, 09:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. :P

Good to know.

Harddrive
harddrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.