Good sharp hooks for wahoo bait fishing? - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2005, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Good sharp hooks for wahoo bait fishing?

I remember Andy last year saying it was good to use a "Good sharp hooks for wahoo bait fishing." So I've got plenty of circles in different sizes for the tuna fishing, and a good variety of Mustad 94150 "J" hooks for school tuna and Yellowtail fishing. What's a good hook for the 'hoos? Brand, model, size?

I'm heading out of town at the butt crack of dawn on Friday morning. Heading for Newport Boats in Costa Mesa. They're going to do some magic on my outboard so I can use it for fishing instead of just as a water taxi. It runs great at high speed but won't troll for crap. Then I'm planning on surprising Jim Hall (titan05) at Point Loma Sportfishing as he returns Saturday morning from his 6 day on the Vagabond, the "Hook 'em and Cook 'em - Death from Above" trip that he got all the sponsors lined up for. Will then have a chance to go to the toy store, Squidco. Need a box of 4/0 J hooks, some black McMahon swivels, and maybe just one or two more pieces of iron. It's been said, "Ya just can't have too many jigs." My trip leaves Sunday.
Steve K is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2005, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Good sharp hooks for wahoo bait fishing?

I use owner 2'0 to 4'0 J hooks made up with wire. The wire can be from about 30 pounds to 75 pounds depending upon your application and general feeling. My one bait hoo on the trip last week was on single strand wire at about 70 pounds.

Have a great trip!

Scott

Affilliated with or pro staff for Accurate Fishing Products and Jerry Brown Line One Spectra
themacs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2005, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Owner J hooks, which one? I see on Ringed Hooks' website there's three kinds. Flyliners, Gorillas, and "Mean" live bait hooks. Do you wnat a heavy wire hook?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I tried some Owner Offshore, ringed hooks on the hoo and was disappointed. Seemed they would shake the hook loose. Had better luck with wire tied straight to the hook.
reel man is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2005, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry, but I only use cheap Mustad 94150s for wahoo. Darn it, somebody tell all those wahoo that are in my freezer I've been using the wrong hooks ;-)
wahoodad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2005, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

>Sorry, but I only use cheap Mustad 94150s for wahoo. Darn it,
>somebody tell all those wahoo that are in my freezer I've been
>using the wrong hooks ;-)

"and a good variety of Mustad 94150 "J" hooks for school tuna and Yellowtail fishing."

I'm set! Thanks Dave. Saved me some money. Dumb wahoo, biting cheap hooks! I won't tell if you don't.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

The only time I ever used good hooks was once on the Shogun. The crew had a little side pot going, catching a wahoo on straight tie bait 20#. I used Owner Gorillas size 4, and put the reel in gear immediately, and won the pot. I got four that way, only two bit-offs.
wahoodad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2005, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Dave, you're turning into a real bucket mouth, giving away all your secrets this month. Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Personally I have found that the Owner Offshore hooks in the 2/0 to 3/0 work best for me. They really do not have to be a Ringed hook, because the wire loop acts as it's own little ring. The Owner offshore has a sticky point and a great offset for sticking into the fish. It is my favorite "J" hook when I use "J" hooks (However a new style hook is coming soon.....)
Guyster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2005, 04:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Brad_G

David:

What's the effect of setting the hook immediately? Maybe the fish doesn't get to eat the bait, so the hook stays in mouth area rather than heading down the throat, so fewer bite offs? And the trade off is that sometimes the hook pulls free of the fish rather than sticking in it?

Thanks.

Brad_G
Common Sense is not Common Enough
Brad_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.