Questions about 'Offshore Angler's' - 'OceanMaster tackle'. - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2006, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Questions about 'Offshore Angler's' - 'OceanMaster tackle'.

I invited a friend to come down to Baja to fish. He said, "**** yes but I want to bring my own tackle." He asked me to recommend an outfit to handle billfish, dorados, groupers; etc.

I'm reluctant to tell him to go with the upper end Shimanos and Calstars since he'll probably only use it on this one trip.

I was looking at the new 'Offshore Angler' catalog and see a combination reel/rod offering....OML25 50-80# 4/0 reel and a 5 1/2 ft. OMSU rod with roller, stripper, and tip for $200.

Anybody know who makes the 'OceanMaster' reels and rods for 'Offshore Angler'? Obviously they don't have their own tackle factories. The picture of the reel looks suspiciously like a Shimano TLD?

Actually it didn't happen this way. My buddy isn't coming down...I just said that cause I'm a skinflint...need another trolling outfit...and I don't think my wife wants me to spend six hundred or more bucks on new tackle. Got so much tackle in the truck now when we go down, she can only take twenty pairs of shoes.
Besides, the last sailfish she caught was on a really old jigmaster of mine that cost maybe thirty bucks a long time ago.
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2006, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Questions about 'Offshore Angler's' - 'OceanMaster tackle'.

Jimbo,

I'd stay away from the Offshore Angler branded reels. Last year I bought a BPS's Captain's Choice 4/0 reel (same thing as OceanMaster, BPS branded stuff) since they had it on special for $40 instead of the normal $80. Whoo Hoo, cheap backup reel for $40 right? Wrong

It looked OK as it had a cast frame, aluminum spool, nice handle, etc, etc, and freespooled like crazy,,, much better on the outside than a Penn Senator 4/0. Looked quite similar to the older Daiwa sealines....

The honeymoon ended this year when I opened up the reel and saw how it was built. The left spool bearing was the smallest bearing I have ever seen in a reel and the mechanical construction shouted out, I HAVE BEEN PUT TOGTHER AS CHEAPLY AS POSSIBLY,,, SUCKERRRRRR!

The reel is just an explosion waiting to happen!

I don't know the construction of the reel your looking at, but if my reel is any indication, I would run as fast as you can away from that POS.

Go Penn, Shimano or Daiwa and you will be much happier in the long run,,, I have learned my lesson.
fishrdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Stay away from the reels. I've popped open a few at the shop and can't believe how cheap they are. There is nothing resembling anti-corrosion treatment to the bearings and the drags get sticky almost out of the box. You get what you pay for. If money is an object, get an inexpensive reel by a good maker. For example, you can get a new Jigmaster for barely more than $50 and a Penn 113H for about $100. These reels don't have any bells and whistles but are reliable -- and catch fish.

The Ocean Master rods are a different thing. Some of their rods aren't bad at all. But try to find out what kind of components they use -- AFTCO rollers are used on some of their rods but not all.
Akfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2006, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default RE: Not on my watch!

I would advise caveat emptor: buyer beware! The reality is that there are fewer repair facilities in baja, right? Get a dependable reel. I suggest a Shimano TLD-20 (single speed) with a good trolling rod equipped with fuji trolling guides rather than rollers. The rods are pretty cheap at around a hundred and the single speed reels aren't much more than that! However, they will last as long as you have corrosion-X. There will not be a dorado, marlin, or yellowtail that can get the better of this rig. If you were thinking a bit lighter than a 4/0, try the TLD-15 with a similar 30# rod. Great fun for dorado, et. al.
captn_tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2006, 06:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks a bunch men...As I suspected, you get what you pay for. I'd still like to know who makes 'em?
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2006, 06:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am pretty sure that most Ocean Master reels are made by Okuma.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
jig

Thanks for the heads up. BPS just sent me a flyer with the 4/0 Capt. Choice with matching 6'6" rod for only $79! Agree with you, it looks great. I was going to pick up a few for loaners for snapper fishing, but will avoid now.

Or do you think they would be okay for light use (2-3 times a year) for catching mainly snapper to 20 lbs and the occasional king mackeral and ling (maybe to 40lbs)?
jig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2006, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

A Captain's Choice 4/0 picture is worth a thousand words.........

That is one small spool bearing for a 4/0 reel, looks like it should have come out of small fresh water reel.
fishrdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

>Thanks for the heads up. BPS just sent me a flyer with the
>4/0 Capt. Choice with matching 6'6" rod for only $79!

That should be a hint: Any offshore rod and reel that can be sold for $79 must be pretty cheesy. Do your loaner friends a favor and pick up some reliable if not spectacular tackle. I don't think you can beat a Penn Jigmaster or Senator for low end quality. I fish Accurate and Avet myself but have no problem lending out my Jigmasters and 113H's.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rods are pretty good, depending upon the components.
Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.