Which 113H Smooth Drags for a YTS? - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which 113H Smooth Drags for a YTS?

I have a Penn 113H that I'm converting to a Yellowtail Special and figured I'd upgrade the drags while I was at it. I was looking at the recommended drags for the 113H on the Smooth Drag site and there were 5 drag sets and 3 drag sets. Which ones do I need and what's the difference? Thanks for any insight!
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Which 113H Smooth Drags for a YTS?

If it's an older 113h 4/0 and has a "3 stack" drag, convert it over to the "5 stack" drag. (3 or 5 refers to the number of metal washers and drag and drag washers in the stack, as in 3 metals and 3 drags.) If it's a newer reel, it already has a "5 stack".

The reason for converting is a 40% increase in the drag surface area which means better heat disapation and more "available" drag to use.

I'd also recomend staying with the Penn HT-100 washers, ungreased if you want maximum drag and don't mind replacing them more often, and greased or "wet" if you want smooth but less maintenance. I say this because I've seen several occassions where the SMOoooth drags have gotten wet in the rack overnight and become "welded" together in the morning, and this with brand new washers.

FISH HARD!
Baja Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 11:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I converted my 3 stackers to 5 stackers with no issues. The additional washers give you more drag. No grease on my washers.
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 12:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
REK

Changed mine out with a Penn HT 100 five stack. I think Penn HTs are the same material as Smooth Drag Carbontex. I rub some Cal's grease into the washers, then wipe off the excess with a rag. I do this to waterproof the washers somewhat. No stick, no glaze, lasts a long time. Wipe off excess so not so wet and you don't lose alot of drag pressure.
REK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 01:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

I recommend Penn HT100 drag washers and the Smooth Drag machined metal washers. Go with the 5 stack. This is about as good as you can get. On another note - I have a standard and narrow 4/0, both with 4:1 gears. I find I actually like the standard width better for jigs. With the wider spool, the jig moves faster longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 113h.jpg (50.3 KB, 0 views)
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadorPete
I recommend Penn HT100 drag washers and the Smooth Drag machined metal washers. Go with the 5 stack. This is about as good as you can get. On another note - I have a standard and narrow 4/0, both with 4:1 gears. I find I actually like the standard width better for jigs. With the wider spool, the jig moves faster longer.
PescadorPete, what handle is that on your reel? I've got a Tibed 113 that would benefit from a handle like that. Also, I'd recommend getting the Accurate 4:1 gears if you can find them. The Newels sound like a coffee grinder, and the pinion gear is soft and the teeth degrade over time.

I've stopped greasing my HT100s. While it seems to make them smoother and last longer, I've found that I can't crank the drags down enough to stop larger fish. I've got a bunch of Pro Gears that I degreased, especially the smaller ones for that reason. I was catching Albies on a 251 with greased drags and I had to hammer the star with my dikes to get enough pressure.
Fishious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

It looks like one of Alan Tani's custom handles. I have a Pro Gear power handle on my YTS.
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishious
Also, I'd recommend getting the Accurate 4:1 gears if you can find them. The Newels sound like a coffee grinder, and the pinion gear is soft and the teeth degrade over time.
I have to respectfully disagree with this one.

I have completely worn out three sets of Accurate 4/0 - 4:1 gears. The problem was from the severe angle of the helical cut gears exerting too much pressure against the stainless pinion yoke. The slot cut for the pinion yoke in the pinion gear eventually widened to about 3 times it's original width which allowed the gear too have enough slop to still contact the flats on the spool shaft when the reel was in freespool.

I saved a couple of the worn out sets. I'll look around and see if I can find one of the worn out ones and post some pics of it next to a normal Penn pinion gear and a Newell pinion gear.

The Newell gears are noisier, and I actually had one of their pinions shatter when put into gear hard, but even when I was a yo-yo freak, I never wore a set out like I had happen with the Accurate gears.

I do however agree with PescadorePete's SMOooothie metal washer recomendation.

FISH HARD!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

[quote=Baja Dreamer]
Quote:

I have completely worn out three sets of Accurate 4/0 - 4:1 gears. The problem was from the severe angle of the helical cut gears exerting too much pressure against the stainless pinion yoke. The slot cut for the pinion yoke in the pinion gear eventually widened to about 3 times it's original width which allowed the gear too have enough slop to still contact the flats on the spool shaft when the reel was in freespool.

FISH HARD!
I guess the Newels are better, then! I've only worn out one pinion gear, the tips of the teeth wore down and you would occasionally strip gears while cranking until a tooth finally broke off. I replaced them with Newels because I couldn't find any Acurates. The Newels are loud as **** and you get a lot of attention from fellow passengers when you're yoyo-ing. Comments like "Hey, I'll lend you one of mine if you can't afford a decent reel!". Trouble is, I've got more yellows on this reel mounted on an old Seeker classic e-glass than all my other rigs combined. It's a yoyo machine.
Fishious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I guess the Newels are better, then! I've only worn out one pinion gear, the tips of the teeth wore down and you would occasionally strip gears while cranking until a tooth finally broke off. I replaced them with Newels because I couldn't find any Acurates. The Newels are loud as **** and you get a lot of attention from fellow passengers when you're yoyo-ing. Comments like "Hey, I'll lend you one of mine if you can't afford a decent reel!". Trouble is, I've got more yellows on this reel mounted on an old Seeker classic e-glass than all my other rigs combined. It's a yoyo machine.
LOL!!!

Yeah, I've had all of those comments too! It's kind of funny how the comments get to be less and less as you land more fish when they aren't even getting bit, huh!

I currently have 3 YTS's. One is an original Newell kit with the old aluminum clamp, one has a Tiburon frame with the top bar, and the last one is a topless Tiburon.

My first YTS, which I still have and use, was originally mounted on a chocolate Sabre which I wrapped. I still have it as well.

FISH HARD!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.