Mechanical explanation of Binding - please enlighten me - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mechanical explanation of Binding - please enlighten me

Good day everyone, I have heard and experienced firsthand the term "binding" on lever drag reels when the drag is pushed beyond its designed performance limits. I took apart to service my Avet 2-speed LX yesterday. This reel has served me well. Taking the reel apart one of my goals is to understand where binding occurs mechanically (not to mention servicing is an additional excuse to hold a fishing reel to cure an itch in the dead of winter here in Canada waiting for my July SD fishing trip). The itch is gone, for now, but I cannot "see" where the binding happens . As I mentioned, using the LX within its design parameters there is none of the binding. I asked this just to understand the mechanics . If twin discs are used as in Accurates, can I conclude that there is twice the surface area of the drags and therefore more braking power and therefore less stress on the mechanical parts that causes the binding? PLEASE it is not my intention to start an Accurate vs. Avet vs. Reel of the World debate. I just want to be enlightened. Thank to all replies in advance.

This post edited by Mangisda 03/08/2010
Mangisda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Mechanical explanation of Binding - please enlighten me

Good question Mangisda.

On many lever drag reels, particularly those of older design, when the drag preset is cranked up beyond the design parameters of the line weight the reel was designed to handle, it causes the bearings to "bind". This is due to their being compressed sideways by the excess drag pressure. This not only affects the free spool capability of the reel, but can also be felt in the handle "binding up" or becoming harder to turn as more drag pressure is applied. (On some reels this excess compression also afects the trhust bearing in the side plate.)

This is the reason for the internal "sleeves" that are placed between the spool bearings now in many factory reels, and the after market work done on many older reels to install one. The sleeve allows a higher drag pressure without the sideways pressure on the bearings affecting their performance.

Hope this helps.

FISH AND HUNT HARD!
Baja Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I believe the binding that is being referred to is the side loading that is applied to the spool bearings that results in making it difficult to crank the reel and spoiled the free spool. The effectiveness of the bearings is reduced by this additional pressure. That is my understanding of what is happening. Cofe Products in San Diego came up with the first effective method to practically eliminate this problem with the "Free Spooler". It is a tube that is inserted inside the spool spindle and runs the length between the bearings. Precision measured for each individual reel, it acts as a virtual full length thrust washer to relieve the side pressure against the bearings when the drag is increased. Looks like Chris and I were writing at the same time :-)

This post edited by Hawk 03/08/2010
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think the problem is in how leverdrags work. When you push the lever to strike the spool/drag washer moves into the drag plate. This puts a side load on the right spool bearing which then binds under the pressure of excessive drag.
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Baja D, Hawk, and Mark T. So it is pressure on the spool bearings that causes the binding. I falsely thought it was pressure on the bearings that support the drive gears and how could that be? Learned something today. One more question please. Accurates in mind, can I say that there is less distortion on the spool bearings, because there is less pressure on the spool (due to twin discs) to achieve the desired drag setting?

This post edited by Mangisda 03/08/2010
Mangisda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
Looks like Chris and I were writing at the same time :-)
Great minds think alike, and Mark was there too!

FISH AND HUNT HARD!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangisda
Thanks Baja D, Hawk, and Mark T.
You are most welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangisda
So it is pressure on the spool bearings that causes the binding. I falsely thought it was pressure on the bearings that support the drive gears and how could that be? Learned something today.

One more question please. Accurates in mind, can I say that there is less distortion on the spool bearings, because there is less pressure on the spool (due to twin discs) to achieve the desired drag setting?
While I have seen a few reports of Accurate reels binding at extreme drag settings, this was primarily on older models, and not as severely as on other makes of reels.

As Mark mentions, I think it is just the nature of the beast.

FISH AND HUNT HARD!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm going to have sleeves added to my ADT 12 & 30 Accurate by Cal, as I've been told that they do not come that way out of the box. Also, I will have the drag curve adjusted on both reels to fight some super cows come next fall. Most all reels are pretty good out of the box but not perfect for everything no matter the sticker price.

garry
bigfishsato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

I can't be bothered to write a lengthy explanation.

Freespool sleeves do nothing at all to aid or improve drag or binding. Nothing.

They improve freespool. This is why they are called f r e e s p o o l sleeves, and not called drag sleeves. The spacer relieves axial pressure put upon the spool bearings by the drag washer seperating spring. This allows the bearings to roll easier when the reel is in f r e e s p o o l.

Dr Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
JL

Yes, the sleeve takes the side pressure off the spool bearings. Binding on the handle has nothing to do with the sleeve. It is the gear side plate bearing in the right sideplate that is being overloaded, thus causing the binding.

JL
JL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.