Levelwind for Rockfish - Page 2 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default re: Levelwind for Rockfish

How about a Penn 209 or 309? Old school, but can be p/u on EBay for less than the cost of a trip. These old reels have plenty of drag for a rockfish.

Rush out
rush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

nice

This post edited by Keith Poe 02/16/2012
Keith Poe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

I am partial to my Quantum Cabo levelwinds that I have 2 generations, but alas they have been discontinued. But another Zebco product, Fin-Nor has come out with an offshore level wind a couple years ago that looks very good. They come in 3 sizes, OFL16L, OFL20L and the OFL30L The 16 holds 350yds of 20# which translates into a heck of a lot of 50-65# braid; Has the optimum gear ratio for deep rock codding, 4.3:1; a huge drag. Here is the debute intro from Tackle Tours http://www.tackletour.com/reviewicast08reelsfinnor.html You can get one on Ebay for $170 http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIN-NOR-OFFS...item336e996c1e

This post edited by J_AkuHed 01/20/2012
J_AkuHed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT
Like several others have said, I'd look at the Saltist and Tekota. Penn if you like old school.
The Penn Fathoms are not your daddy's Penn reels!
New age levelwinds!

Charbait's got'um.
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrp2.htm
Old 01-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Like several others have said, I'd look at the Saltist and Tekota. Penn if you like old school.

The new Penn Fathom series reels [both levelwind and non-levelwind] are a major performance "step up" from the iconic Penn 320/330 GT models.
All-metal sideplate and frame, stainless pinion/bronze main gear, 3 to 5 ball-bearings, 30 pounds of drag.
The levelwind models are 4.3-1, and the non-levelwind models are 6-1.
Of course they are a bit more expensive, from $199-$219 depending on size.
Levelwind model size range braid line capacity goes from 300/50 [FTH15LW], to 650/100 [FTH60LW].
tunanorth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to boswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunanorth
Quote:

The new Penn Fathom series reels [both levelwind and non-levelwind] are a major performance "step up" from the iconic Penn 320/330 GT models.
All-metal sideplate and frame, stainless pinion/bronze main gear, 3 to 5 ball-bearings, 30 pounds of drag.
The levelwind models are 4.3-1, and the non-levelwind models are 6-1.
Of course they are a bit more expensive, from $199-$219 depending on size.
Levelwind model size range braid line capacity goes from 300/50 [FTH15LW], to 650/100 [FTH60LW].
I bought the 320 about 2 years ago. It is so incredibly bad that I can't believe Penn would permit it to be marketed, although it was cheap enough (I think it was around $100 rack retail from a now defunct, brick and mortar tackle store).
boswell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswell
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunanorth
Quote:
The new Penn Fathom series reels [both levelwind and non-levelwind] are a major performance "step up" from the iconic Penn 320/330 GT models. All-metal sideplate and frame, stainless pinion/bronze main gear, 3 to 5 ball-bearings, 30 pounds of drag. The levelwind models are 4.3-1, and the non-levelwind models are 6-1. Of course they are a bit more expensive, from $199-$219 depending on size. Levelwind model size range braid line capacity goes from 300/50 [FTH15LW], to 650/100 [FTH60LW].
I bought the 320 about 2 years ago. It is so incredibly bad that I can't believe Penn would permit it to be marketed, although it was cheap enough (I think it was around $100 rack retail from a now defunct, brick and mortar tackle store).
The 320 is an interesting case study in regional angling preferences. In California south of Fresno, the 320 often engenders strong dislike such as you expressed, and most tackle shops will not even carry it. North of Fresno, and increasingly as you move north from that point, the 320 is one of the most popular reels ever made for many different kinds of fishing, from rockfish to stripers to sturgeon. No doubt price factors in to that popularity, and many, many people would not dream of spending more than $89-$99 on a reel.

This post edited by tunanorth 01/25/2012
tunanorth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Those are Girls' reels, definitely. But I like it too!!

This post edited by wallace 02/03/2012
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

This Daiwa STTLW30HA in the High Speed version is in MHO the best rock fish reel available at the present time. No other reel matches its line retrival rate and it's a level wind making life a whole lot more fun. Especially when finsing beyond the 200 ft. depth. http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=442 I would spool as much 20 or 30 lb Sufix 832 as you can get on it. Good luck Walt

This post edited by yessokk 02/16/2012
yessokk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessokk
This Daiwa STTLW30HA in the High Speed version is in MHO the best rock fish reel available at the present time. No other reel matches its line retrival rate and it's a level wind making life a whole lot more fun. Especially when finsing beyond the 200 ft. depth. http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=442 I would spool as much 20 or 30 lb Sufix 832 as you can get on it. Good luck Walt
I dunno, man, I would rather crank a 4:1 or less up 200'+ instead of a high speed 6:1 on a small diameter reel. The STTLW40 low speed would be better because of the larger diameter and the lower speed. That's a lot of work for a little reel trying to haul 1#+ weght let alone a load of big SWRF,

This post edited by J_AkuHed 02/16/2012

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.