525 Handle Upgrade - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 525 Handle Upgrade

Here are some pictures of my latest upgrade.

I was not all that happy with the handle on my 525 Mag so I decided to make a change. Here is a pic of the 525 before the change.

Here is the stock handle side by side the new handle.

Here are a couple of pictures after the change out.

The handle is a direct swap out, you use the stock nut cap and nut cap screw.

The new handle knob feels much larger than the stock and if you have big hands it may be something you may want to look at. Did I really need to do swap for catching bass, barracuda and bonita here on the west coast? No, but more and more I find myself using lighter line after catching a couple of school sized tuna, to the dismay of some deck hands and boats that want to keep their catch rates high and that's why I went for the change. Also, for the last couple of years the tuna locally have been line shy so lighter line has been the norm. I feel this handle will work better for me while fighting larger fish on light line. The handle did not add any noticeable weight increase over the stock but the knob does feel a little big to me. I wish Penn would of had something in between the stock knob and the replacement though I'm sure I will get use to it. It just may feel a bit funny because it is something new.
SoCalAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: 525 Handle Upgrade

Nice! I have Daiwa SL handles on my GS reels but have been meaning to try the handle off my Fathom 12 on the 525 Mag to see how it goes.
MarkT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT
Nice! I have Daiwa SL handles on my GS reels but have been meaning to try the handle off my Fathom 12 on the 525 Mag to see how it goes.
The Fathom handles will not work, you need to get a Torque handle.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Brad_G

I also do not like at all the stock Penn handles and replaced mine. Both the SL and the Trinidad handles work, although you probably will have to "drift" the hole of the retaining screw a bit. edit--someone sent me a PM asking a question, which forced me to look more carefully at my 525 mag. I have a Trinidad handle on it, but its an older model; I'm not sure if the current ones will work. But be sure that the bend in the handle clears the star of the star drag--look at the pictures of the original post to see how the star just fits inside where the bend in the handle starts.

This post edited by Brad_G 04/18/2012
Brad_G is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I switched the stock to daiwa handle on my 525mag. It's better but slippery when wet. I added finger tape to improve the grip
Mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_G
I also do not like at all the stock Penn handles and replaced mine. Both the SL and the Trinidad handles work, although you probably will have to "drift" the hole of the retaining screw a bit.
Mickyfin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Nice! Typical Penn cheap a** handle! They've taken to the Shimano style "intro new models for mo' money" approach!
I must say I do like the new Penn equivalent to the 525 Mag, the Penn Squal, even though they still use a cheap a** handle. . .
J_AkuHed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I read the new penn squall doesn't cast as well as the 525. Guess its a thread steal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_AkuHed
Nice! Typical Penn cheap a** handle! They've taken to the Shimano style "intro new models for mo' money" approach! I must say I do like the new Penn equivalent to the 525 Mag, the Penn Squal, even though they still use a cheap a** handle. . .
This post edited by Mickyfin 04/06/2012
Mickyfin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, the holes in the Fathom are square rather than rectangular.
MarkT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here is another picture giving you a better handle knob to reel size comparison view.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

nicely done!
alantani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.