makaira 15 se or avet hx raptor for 60 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default makaira 15 se or avet hx raptor for 60

I have pretty much fished shimano tiagras for all my bigger outfits in the past, but I have been out of fishing for around 6 years, and seems okuma and avet has come a long way. and all my tiagras went bye bye I have pretty much committed to the avet, but I want to get some 2nd opinions. This reel is for 60lb and I want to fill it with straight JB 80lb spectra and a 20 yard fluro top shot. The rod is a 765ml. I want something that is castable, but can handle 60lb. This setup is really just for tuna fishing on the long range boats. The avet seems that it will do this nicely with around 500yds of 80lb spectra. I really really like the new makaira SEs, but I feel like the 15 is too small for 60 and the 20 is too large for it and wont be as castable. thoughts?

This post edited by darrenforeal 06/22/2012
darrenforeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
REK

Default re: makaira 15 se or avet hx raptor for 60

I don't have an Avet Raptor. If I were to get one, I would look into the fact that these are MCs. I have seen a lot of MCs(not HXs, but the smaller) racked due to flyline issues. Seems the mags just wouldn't allow a bait to swim freely enough for some. The regular HX...binding issues? I like my Accurate 600 series for 60#. The Talica 16 may not have the capacity you're looking for. Talica 20? The Raptor may work out for you. Just saying I would check the MC/flyline thing.
REK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by REK
I don't have an Avet Raptor. If I were to get one, I would look into the fact that these are MCs. I have seen a lot of MCs(not HXs, but the smaller) racked due to flyline issues. Seems the mags just wouldn't allow a bait to swim freely enough for some. The regular HX...binding issues? I like my Accurate 600 series for 60#. The Talica 16 may not have the capacity you're looking for. Talica 20? The Raptor may work out for you. Just saying I would check the MC/flyline thing.
thanks for the input. Many said the binding thing is gone with the Raptors. But I hadn't heard about the MC issue. I wonder if that could even be taken out.

I was looking at the hx raptor and the accurate 600 today and the accurate seems a little handle heavy if that makes sense. Also the spools seems a bit heavier. The reel doesn't seem as casting friendly hmmmm...

I dunno. I definitely see myself getting the Makaira SE 20 for 80lb. And I'll look into the talicas. Forgot completely all about those. I guess the only way to know if I will like the avet is to fish it and land some stuff on it. In the past, back when avet was introduced and I worked in the industry, I didn't really like them at all. But they seem fairly nice now.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

The word "castable" stood out. Avet IMO a slightly better choice. Made in US too.
sactotuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 03:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactotuna
The word "castable" stood out. Avet IMO a slightly better choice. Made in US too.
yeah I am thinking I will give the avet a shot. Hopefully this magnetic control thing won't affect things negatively. I can always take it out if I don't like it though. I will eventually buy another 60lb outfit so I can always get something else then.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Just make sure that before you buy it, you set the drag on the heavy side for 60# and check BOTH the free-spool AND how easy the handle turns.

They might be great now, but the two I had a few years ago were junk.

I like the B2-665 for 60#, but my dad always said: "Don't ask somebody that has one, ask somebody that had one."
mogandave is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

While you are in a store, take a look at the Penn 12VSX. The one I have is a killer with 60# line.
Offshore6 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

thanks guys. I just which there was a makaira se size in between the 15 and the 20. I also want to take a closer look at the talica
Old 06-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
REK

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenforeal
thanks guys. I just which there was a makaira se size in between the 15 and the 20. I also want to take a closer look at the talica
Guy I know just went through what you're doing...a 60# reel. Same thing, Mak 15 too small and the 20 too large and wondered why they didn't have a reel down the middle. Thought the Accurate too pricey, the HX with the binding, the MC with the mag he didn't want or need. He ended up with a Penn 12 VSX. He is completely happy with his decision. Out of the box ready.
REK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

for 80# spectra and a 60# topshot, the reel that i chose was the penn 12 vsx.
alantani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.