Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

no fwd or reverse on lower unit

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  h2oboy 
#1 ·
hey all. recently i repowered with a used honda four stroke 115hp on my boat. now, there seems to be no forward or reverse gear.

the trouble shooting steps i've taken so far include:
draining lower unit oil and checking for metal shavings and water- there was none. replaced with fresh oil
disconecting the shifter cable at the motor's linkage to make sure full range of motion existed on the shift shaft- there is.
taking a pair of vice grips and "helping" the shift shaft rotate to forward and reverse positions at an opening near the lower unit- no progress

all i hear is a kind of clank and then some other noises like it's trying to go in gear, but just isn't being turned into position enough. the prop sort of spins, but when i apply pressure it stops

maybe someone here has had a similar problem with their lower unit, honda or not. i have had a similar problem before and it was a grinded up pinion nut. it was obvious due to the grinding noise even in neutral and all the metal shavings in the lower unit oil.

any and all help is appreciated.

thanks,
frank

See less See more
#4 ·
It's not typical for a Honda to do that. It is not a corroded shift shaft - Honda makes their shift shafts out of stainless steel. Sounds like you have ruled out the easy fixes. My guess is the clutch dog, but would have to see it or get more info from you to be sure. Replacing the clutch dog isn't a major deal, but it does require disassembling the lower unit. Tell me more and I will try to help.

#5 ·
hondadude,

thanks for taking the time to mull over my predicament.

here's what i have so far. i disconnected the shift cable at the motor and with the engine running at idle i move the lever as forward as possible. initially there is a clank like it would make if it were to go into gear and the prop spins just a bit then stops. it then kind of makes a rattling sound as if it were just barely missing being locked in gear. i then go back to neutral and push the shift lever full reverse. almost exactly the same thing happens except the prop doesn't spin at all in reverse. occasionally in forward the prop will lock into gear and spin as it should.

interesting things to note. i drained the lower unit oil and there was absolutely no signs of metal or water. would there be if a clutch dog went bad?
also, when the motor is not running- completely turned off- there is a forward and a reverse. i mean to say that when the shift lever is in neutral the prop spins freely by hand. when i put it in forward and reverse the prop will not spin by hand.

by looking at the schematics, it looks like shift shaft is two or even maybe three parts and that unlike evinrudes up and down it rotates c/wise and c/c wise to engage. is it possible that there is at some point some stripped out coupling? just thinking out loud.

i notice you're in an 805 area code. i'm originally from the central coast. if i were there i would just go directly to your shop, but i'm down here in san diego.

what are your thoughts? or anyone else reading this post for that matter.

again thank you for your time and i look forward to your response.

frank
h2oboy

#6 ·
A couple of points. It doesn't make sense that the lower unit would shift when the engine is off, but not on. The shift shaft is one-piece stainless steel. There is a "stud" that it slides over on the lower unit, and a splined coupler it fits into under the engine.

My guess is still a worn clutch dog. Basically the "teeth" on the clutch dog should be straight and squared off. If these teeth get worn, the nice sharp 90 degree angle teeth that engage with the forward and reverse gears get rounded, and won't stay in place when shoved up against the gears (hopefully your gears are OK). It is possible that the shift slider retention balls are gone (but this would have shown up as metal in your gear oil). So, back to the clutch dog.

If you are mechanically declined, you should take this one to shop. Otherwise, spend $80 on a shop manual and have at it. Not much else I can tell you.

Added text: If you tell me the Serial Number of your engine, I can tell you the date of purchase, and hence, if the engine is still under warranty. If it is, just let Honda fix it for you.

#7 ·
thanks for the reply hondadude,
i have dome some work (replaced the pinion gear) on my previous lower unit- an evinrude. thank you for the guidance on this one. i think i might be able to handle it, but fight now i don't really have the time so i'll look into taking it into a shop.
as far as serial numbers it's a bf115 bebd 1001654. i bought it used through a friend of a friend. if still under warranty, would honda honor me as the owner?

thanks again for your time. it's been really helpful.

frank
h20boy

#10 ·
hi, i'm usure of the country of origin. i assumed us, but i guess not. it looks like i'll be dropping the lower unit and inspecting there. while i have it open, new seal kit, water pump kit and possibly clutch dog.

thanks for all your guys interest.

i'll keep you posted.

fg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.