Reputable Boat Trailer Repair Shops near Long Beach? - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Reputable Boat Trailer Repair Shops near Long Beach?

Just bought a 25' Parker pilothouse with dual axle Pacific trailer...trailer brakes lock up when in reverse..any recommendations in L.A. county/Long Beach area? Thanks...
Long Beach Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Reputable Boat Trailer Repair Shops near Long Beach?

Some surge type brakes have a solenoid that hooks up to your back-up lights so the brakes don't lock up in reverse.
Backlash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Bob

Your trailer connector probably has a "backup wire". It should be connected to your backup lights.

If your tow vehicle does NOT have backup lights wired to the connector, you can hook it (through a disconnect) to the tail lights. That way you can turn on your tail lights AND HOOKUP UP THE DISCONNECT when you need to back up. Otherwise keep the disconnect disconnected.

Beware: When the backup signal is energized, YOU HAVE NO TRAILER BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don

P.S. Get it done right as soon as possible.
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys, it has surge disc braker and works off the backup lights ...constant elec thru the blue wire at the truck and solenoid may have a bad ground or be corroded on the trailer end...time to let the pros do their magic...info: best recommendations so far (3) seem to point toward West Coast Trailer in Huntington Beach..so, off we go....at least the boat is running good....
Old 05-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

You could check out Wallstrong Trailers,,,In Gardena on Figuora. Near the 91, 405 and 110 freeways. Good Luck.
dennykrb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yup ! Bob at Wallstrong set me up. I have a Pacific dual axel and I am able to back up my trailer uphill. I have surge drum brakes.
pukahd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

My 1993 boat and trailer are at Wallstrongs to get new disc brakes and backup solenoid to replace old drums. I recommend them, Bob has never steered me wrong.
coldpizza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Turns out that my blue wire from the truck connectiong to the trailer blue wire connector, has a constant current going thru it...truck was a former city vehicle and probably constant wired for trailers with electronic brakes...a rewire to the taillights should fix the problem..West Coast isn't set up to do trucks, so, I may be off to Wallstrongs if I can't do it myself...thanks for all the good advice..ps....West Coast did a good job on the trailer tuneup...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.