. - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default re: Paravane Roll Damping System

That little diagram in the upper left tells me it has to be moving to get a maximum effect. Without motion or current, it would be just the drag of lifting that many square inches of anything.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

what is your goal, stable trolling or stable drifting?

for trolling , i'd advise normal birds rigged on 12' stubbies with an extra forward stay rigged to take tension from the flopper line...you can slide in longer pipes to use for rigging fishing lines

for drifting, i'd advise a product called 'rocker stopper'...rig 4 on each side from 12' stubbies..they fit in a 5 gal bucket nicely.

normally i wouldn't give you the time of day, but you're going to hurt/kill yourself or someone else with the setup you are thinking of
TAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

MR. Costello thank you for your help i appreciate it very much.

My goal is to be able to drift in heavy seas and slow troll under 3 knots in seas and wind under 30 knots.

My boat drifts as fast as 3 knots under certain conditions, how fast can i drift with the rocker stoppers ?

i would think they would slow the drift as well ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Poe
I believe the lightest birds i have seen are 12# ?

Would 12' X 1-1/2" X 1/4" wall aluminum pipe work if i use a mast and forward stay ?

Have you ever used the Z-wings they are a lot like the birds to my understanding.

i was planing on trying them in moderate seas just 6' out on my outriggers with mast and forward stays.

I'm aware of the risk in roll over due to a system failure.

Thank again John.

Huh???? For a 24' Skipjack?? LOL!!!!!
Pelagic Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Maybe it's just me, but I have never heard or seen anyone outfitting their small recreational fishing vessels with a paravane stabilizing system. Usually they are on commercial fishing trawlers.

This post edited by Pelagic Hunter 01/19/2012
Pelagic Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic Hunter
Maybe it's just me, but I have never heard or seen anyone outfitting their small recreational fishing vessels with a paravane stabilizing system. Usually they are on commercial fishing trawlwers.
X2 I have only heard of them used on displacement hulls not on planing hulls. Be careful. ps. The do make aluminum birds lighter than 28#s.

This post edited by conchydong 01/19/2012
conchydong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

"20' 200# mono leader installed on the loop bolt 4' out the out riggers each side"

thats the kind of hillbilly bull$hit that gets people hurt.what do you think will happen when you run through a kelp ball?

quit fking around and take a trip north...'flopper stoppers' have been used on trailer boats for decades with the small boat salmon fleet..they work great both trolling and drifting...i know of several 24' class boats set up with them..it's all in how you set up the stays and the tension line.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Poe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAURUS
"20' 200# mono leader installed on the loop bolt 4' out the out riggers each side"

that's the kind of hillbilly bull$hit that gets people hurt.what do you think will happen when you run through a kelp ball?

quit fking around and take a trip north...'flopper stoppers' have been used on trailer boats for decades with the small boat salmon fleet..they work great both trolling and drifting...i know of several 24' class boats set up with them..it's all in how you set up the stays and the tension line.

Hello John Good to hear from you i appreciate your insight and experience very much concerning my safety.

Can you provide more information posibbly a diagram of the flopper stopper system rigging of the stays and tension lines ? Do you know what strength rigging line they are using ?

I did not know i could troll with flopper stoppers, my drift last trip was 3 knots so much current and wind.

How does this system deal with kelp just in strength ?

Does the kelp get caught in the hinge of the flopper stopper ?

My out riggers have stays and tension lines and are very heavy duty at just 4' out.

I can use heavier lines on the rigging to match the other proven system you are talking about if you would help me out so i do not kill myself and do not worry i can not invite any guest she is maxed out with gear bait and fuel.

My outriggers are 16' Hawaiian one piece outriggers mounted on heavy duty maxi misers heavily reinforced.

The eye bolt I'm attaching to is only 4' out where the one piece aluminum outrigger is super strong and i saw zero, no give or flex at all under load in substantial seas.

John have you ever used Z-Wing 250 ? their design is hydrodynamic the primary principal of their operation and work very well.

Hope your season is going well, i was very close to your spot recently and noticed a lot of large blue sharks were around.

Any Humboldt's around ?

OK Amigo thanks again and may all your quotas be filled.

watch the weather, come up to avila the next time it blows..i'll show you .
Old 02-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

i'm heading out tonight for a 3 day run on the lower end of the lucia bank.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sounds like you need a anti roll gyro (ARG)

A little pricer than a pair of birds though.
Hunt n' Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.