Newbie boater - Advice/Suggestions? - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newbie boater - Advice/Suggestions?

Hi all - I recently unexpectedly inherited a 20'6" runabout (Tahoe Q6 Ski and Fish w/190HP Mercruiser I/O) and as a newbie in terms of private saltwater boating, I'm hoping for some advice or to be pointed in the right direction for advice. Specifically:

Safety: I've read all the applicable rules and regulations, but what do I need to properly outfit my boat for saltwater use beyond what's legally required (for example, my gut tells me I should have a marine radio, but I don't know if that's overkill or what kind).

Fishing: My boat is equipped with a livewell and cooler but that's it in terms of fishing equipment. What other electronics and equipment should I be looking at?

Other: Any other suggestions or advice about outfitting and operating?

Thanks in advance.
krick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Newbie boater - Advice/Suggestions?

Post a picture of the boat AND trailer.

It is probably built for freshwater and, as such, doesnt have the higher marine grade bolts and wiring.
if the trailer is not galvanized, think twice before dunking it in the saltwater.

If this is the case, seriously consider selling it and buying a boat and trailer combo that was built for the saltwater.
Wils is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

take a coast guard auxiliary safe boating class
BrotherP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wils
Post a picture of the boat AND trailer.

It is probably built for freshwater and, as such, doesnt have the higher marine grade bolts and wiring.
if the trailer is not galvanized, think twice before dunking it in the saltwater.

If this is the case, seriously consider selling it and buying a boat and trailer combo that was built for the saltwater.
Here's a picture of the same model (not mine). The trailer is galvanized.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would first start with a Radio and an Antenna. Make sure that works. Cell phone coverage drops out after you go some miles off shore.

Get all the safety equipment. Life vest, flares etc.

Do some driving around in Long Beach Harbor or something and get the experience.

For me. Fishing on a private boat, first priority is safety. Catching fish is a bonus. You always want to come home in one piece.
harddrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

and make sure your bilge pump is a good one and works, and a fresh fire extinguisher. it can show a full charge but the powder is prone to packing in the bottom after a while and will make it useless. a decent GPS with a map built in would definitely be a plus for those low visibility days. also make sure you have a decent anchor with enough line in case of a mechanical problem, saves you from going to the beach, people get killed that way. a radar would also benefit you. getting lost in the fog or ran over by a freighter isn`t any fun. also get a dockside inspection from the coast guard its free and there are no fines if you are missing something flares out of date ETC but it may save you . if you get boarded at sea they can terminate your voyage if they deem that it is unsafe. Best of luck to you,

This post edited by BODEAN 05/31/2012
BODEAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

http://media.channelblade.com/boat_graphics/dealers/6550/digi35062880_l.jpg[/img]

sell it before you decrease the value in half by dropping it in the ocean. then buy something that is made for the saltwater - with a galvanized trailer. you can find something that already has marine electronics and safety equipment on it...and a fuel-saving 4-stroke outboard.
Wils is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks all. According to the dealer and mfr, the boat is built to be used in both salt and fresh, as is the trailer, so I'm hoping that as long as I wash it down and flush the engine after each saltwater use it will hold up. I'm less certain, however, about how it would handle larger wind waves and swells (by larger, I mean larger than would typically be encountered on lakes). I'm set on the anchor, PFDs, flares and extinguisher already and have now started looking at a marine radio and gps. I'll also look into a boating class.

What about depthmeters/fish finders - are they absolutely necessary to find fish or can I make do without for inshore fishing?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Nice boat,one thing I suggest to all boaters for the greatest piece of mind is get Vessel Assist,one loose wire can ruin your whole day!

Cya Tuna Vic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.