Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

After market lower unit outdrives

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  hardcore 
#1 ·
Does anyone have experience with SEI after market lower units?

I am having trouble shifting my !999 225hp Evinrude into neutral when fishing in heavy kelp bed areas and assume this might be a lower unit problem.
The motor shifts ok when I turn the key off. Any thoughts? Would it be better to rebuild the original lower unit? Thanks. Tony

#2 ·
SEI makes a good product at reasonable price with a good warrantee. At the same time lower units are designed to hold in gear under load thats why mercs have a ignition interrupter switch in the system that momentarily kills the ignition when coming out of gear.
It could just be a kelp problem heavy load maybe idle speed to fast?

#3 ·
Thank you for your comments and insight on the shifting problem. I think you are correct that the kelp is holding the shaft "loaded" and not allowing the movement into neutral. Idle speed is ok. Positive comments on BD about these units. Thanks again. Tony

#4 ·
I took the lower cowling off the motor and found the interrupt switch below the shift and throttle linkage. Depressing the switch manually while the motor idled had no effect on RPM. New switch from internet
would cut spark to 3 cylinders dropping RPM and thus allowing shift back to neutral to occur. Thanks to BODEAN your info was right on, and you saved me $1000 in an unnecessary repair.

In a previous fun-fest working on the motor I discovered an in-line bladed type automotive fuse (20 amp) on the upper starboard side of the motor that is part of the starting system. If you have a "dead" key switch make sure to check this fuse first before replacing the switch.
I would locate and replace the fuse using dielectric grease just to make sure that corrosion doesn't ruin your day. Hope this helps someone else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.