Help me decide on a new boat - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2004, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help me decide on a new boat

Been looking at buying another boat for a few months now. We're ready to buy something soon. I've narrowed the field to a few manufacturers but still having trouble making a final decision. My wife needs something comfortable for weekend trips to the islands. A comfortable ride and lots of amenities are important to her. I need a serious fishing boat. Let me know what you think.

Here's our criteria:
23-28 feet
trailerable
comfortable pilothouse or cabin
galley
berth
stand-up head?
large cockpit
diesel
smooth ride!!!!
safe
300-400 mile range
new or used depending on the condition

Been looking at:
ACB
Davis
Farallon
Osprey
Skagit Orca
Skipjack
Parker
Sea Sport
Radon

Have I missed anything?

Thanks, Jason
REEDOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2004, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Help me decide on a new boat

Being an ex Farallon owner I can't say enough about the older boats. They have a great ride and handle the rough seas excellent. I have heard that the newer boats (since Kurt took over ownership) are not as good. I sold it though because it was not a comfortable weekend boat for the wife.

The Rock Harbor (Davis) has more cabin room than the Farallon but it loses the cockpit space because of this. They are nice riding boats and do well in a good chop. Skipjacks are nice boats and are comfortable at the same time. They do not handle the chop as well as the other two but are a better bet for what you are looking for.

Are you looking for a new or used boat?

Robert
Phoenix 29
"Double Limits"
Reliable Fishing Products
Farallon 25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2004, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Robert. I'll go new or used, but I don't want something with an old IDI diesel or a boat needing lots of work. I'll likely own this boat for many years, so I'd like to get something with newer technology. Although hull designs from these builders probably havn't changed since the beginning so an older hull with new engine(s)would probably work. If I can find a used boat with low hours that meets all my criteria, I'll buy it. I really like the ACBs but I'll never find a used one.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ALAKAZAM

I assume you want a trailer boat?

Skipjack 28
Gradywhite 27 Sailfish
Sportcraft 272
Albemarle 26
Blackman 26
Shamrock 26 Express
Skipjack 26 FB
Carolina Classic 25
ALAKAZAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2004, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

NO budget?? The Davis boats are pretty nice as Robert says. They have made a pretty comfortable interior setup - maybe your wife will not mind the price tag if she is comfortable enough - JK! A nice diesel Davis will set you back a a little and require a good tow vehicle as any boat that size on a trailer but fits your requirements nicely.
reddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2004, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the input everyone.

Kerry, I guess my budget is $60-$80,000. Depends on who you ask, me or my wife. I'd go $100,000 max. She's not crazy about the price tag on some of these boats but like you said, if I can make it appeal to her she might let me go big. Unfortunately we have to agree on something.

The Rock Harbor is very nice, I'm guessing around $140,000 with a diesel? I don't want to spend that much. A used one would be great though.

Keep the replies coming. I'm interested in hearing about your experience with these boat brands.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FarmerD

Drive up to Paso Robles ...and take a walk through with Harrold. Or just go on his website for now and ask his customers what they think. I think you will find that customer service from this guy is above and beyond. I am not yet a Davis owner, but will be in time. There are also some used boats posted on his board ..... I believe a rockharbor for sale on his used board for 89k.
Dustin
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2004, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Davis has some very nice boats. You may want to take a look at this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2485145878&catego ry=63726 . I know that it's over your price range, but if it does say to make an offer - who knows what it might go for. Good luck with you shopping.
Fishing Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2004, 05:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

You missed the Blackman.
georgia_peach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2004, 05:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

There's a 28' Skippy with a Yanmar conversion on Yachtworld.com. Looks like a sweet boat.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet&checked _boats=1244783&slim=quick&
Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.