Transducer location issues - Furuno FCV-668 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2004, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Transducer location issues - Furuno FCV-668

Hey Guys - I have a 1993 Shamrock 260 Mackinaw and I am beyond frustrated with my fish finder. It's time to address the issue.

I have a Furuno FCV-668 Fish Finder with a transom mount transducer that is mounted on the starboard side. The problem is, the metal bracket for this is actually above the water line. The transducer itself is like 2 inches below the water. If there is any wind chop or I go faster that like 5 knots, I get nothing but gargle on the fish finder screen. I walk back there and look at it only to see that the transducer is popping up and down in and out of the water or its totally covered with bubbles. In fact, even when I'm in the harbor doing 5 knots, I notice that I sometimes loose the bottom reading on the fish finder for a moment.

I can't move the transducer bracket lower because it is already flush with the bottom of the hull. I would love to get a through hull but it's going to be about $500 when its all said and done. I really don't have the money for that. I've heard that you can glue the transducers to the inside of the hull on a flat area in the middle of the boat. Does anyone have any experiences or results after doing this. Will it work? I really would rather keep it in the water but I'm out of ideas for doing this.

I've also thought maybe my settings on the fish finder are wrong? I just use it in auto mode. Anyone have any experience with one of these units?

Anyone have any advice for me on this? I could really use some HELP. The boat is slipped in Channel Islands Harbor.

Thanks a bunch guys,

Joey

'26 Shamrock
"TailChaser"
Joey805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2004, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Transducer location issues - Furuno FCV-668

With an inboard (like a shamrock) I would definatly put a through hull or in hull transducer. I don't see how you can prevent turbulance with the prop forward the transducer. About glueing it in; you need to look at the new in hull transducers that are glued in and filled with an oil. I've heard good things about them, there were many posts in the past about these transducers. I would get one of those before just glueing in the transom mount (although I've seen it done.)

Either way I would quit fighting it and get an in hull or through hull. If you go with a through hull you can get a triducer if your using the speed and temp off of it, or with either (through or in) you can use the transducer and get a speed and temp sensor for the transom. Need to look up forward in front of the engine and see if you have a spot for one.
Tall_Tail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2004, 04:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

If you can't get the transom mount to work by getting it deeper and/or adjusting the angle then I agree save your $ and get a thru-hull. The latest Airmar in-hull setups are nice but about the same price as a good thru-hull.
reddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2004, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Your real solution is a through hole mount as far forward as you can get it. But in the meantime, and even after you get a through hole placement IMHO, lose auto mode and fishing mode. Very prone to interference, and it confuses the machine.

Find the best gain for yourself at various speeds, and set at manual your prefered fishing depths. Also, if you have a dual transducer, very few of us can run with the 50. I only uses it when going very slowly and when I am hunting a favorite stone or pinnacle. Hope that helps.

Fish the Tides - Freddie
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2004, 06:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for your responses guys. I knew through hull was the way to go but I was trying searching for a miracle fix..hehe

I guess its time to start saving all the pennies for a new transducer.

Joey

'26 Shamrock
"TailChaser"
Joey805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2004, 07:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to fshman1

Try this website for assistance:boatus.com...don casey library...ray
fshman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2004, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

leave the transom mount and use it for speed. get a "mushroom head" or flush face thru hull ducer. should run 100.00 and change

it's the smallest thru hull from airmar(furuno)
much better suited for trailer boats than the behemouth
with the fairing block
http://www.maritech.com/furuno_50-200khz.htm

YO HO ONO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2004, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Now you tell me...! Wow that looks nice!
Fair Warning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.