Fishing in seaweed - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2005, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fishing in seaweed

Are there any technique fishing when the seaweed is heavy? I was near station 28 in SMB all I pulled up were the weeds, do corbena feed in shore when the water is murky on days like today?
skippies20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2005, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Fishing in seaweed

I find it VERY difficult to fish if the kelp is heavy. Impossible if there is a current. In kelpy conditions, I forgo the plastics altogether and stick with bait. I slow my retrieve to a standstill, only cranking to maintain a tight line. It also helps to keep your line straight in front of you. If a current is pushing your bait sideways, follow it and keep your line in front of you. I guess the party boat motto, "no angles, no tangles" applies here.
jkim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2005, 06:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Best suggestion I have is move. Sometimes you can find a clear spot. Sometimes the seaweed moves in drifts with clear areas inbetween that you can follow down the beach. Sometimes you really should just give up and go home. I never do though.
I have done well on corbina in murky water. I have also done poorly, so who knows which is more correct.
mai tai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2005, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, the kelp was all along the shore, i think my other problem was that I was using a grub, so my hook was exposed.
skippies20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2005, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Has anyone else noticed that the interesting water seems to hold the weeds? When there is a curling of the water the weeds get caught in it. If you can dodge the weeds, the water can be productive. Plastics work better for me in these conditions as I like to "park" the bait when fishing the crabs.

Dangerous Dan
DDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2005, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

I keep moving until a clear area develops. The edges might hold hiding fish.
fishinity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2005, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

i agree
also ive found that the weeds can hold jelly fish
that u might not be able to see
good idea to avoid brushin up against em (the weeds)
i forgo my usaual submarine-en when its weedy nowadays
and just keep movin
or wait for the current to do its thing

p
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2005, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default John Is Right On Here...

...tough to fish the kelp and especially the eelgrass which has been really messing up Salt Creek lately along with the red-tide and jellies. It is doable fishing the pockets between kelp with no current...almost impossible to do with current like John said.
TBrumfield is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2005, 07:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default RE: John Is Right On Here...

I took the question to mean the times when the kelp is just all over the place. Because when its not, a pocket of kelp often means a hole. And a hole means fish. In those cases, I've fished kelpy water with great success.
jkim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.