Anyone surf fishing in the santa monica bay, marina del rey, venice beach etc - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone surf fishing in the santa monica bay, marina del rey, venice beach etc

Hi there,

I am so eager to go surf fishing after i read so many good fishing reports on allcoast. I moved to the USA 5 years ago and never had a chance to go surf fishing. I am just afraid with all the fishing laws and regulations to fish on the beach where people swim. I do have a Fishing license.

Anyone who fishes in the are of : malibu, santa monica, venice beach, marina del rey and or redondo beach ?

Any good tips?

By the way, someone caught a 10 lbs Black seabass on the venice beach pier. That was a monster fish to catch on the pier. I DID not know what it was untill i came back home and did some research. I thought it was some sorte of grouper. Too bad, the guy did not realease it as i know it is a protected species.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Anyone surf fishing in the santa monica bay, marina del rey, venice beach etc

Hi Karim, I used to fish all of those areas regularly. We used to have a pretty regular crowd here on the board, but most have gone off to other boards. If you have any general or specific questions please feel free to PM me or just post them up here.

As for tips learn to read the water, fish the tides and during warmer months look for the sand crab beds.

In all of the areas you are asking about you will fall under the jurisdiction (for the most part) of the lifegaurds. Some of them are very understanding and if you are being safe they will give you no difficulty. Others are very weary of hooks, weights, flying lures, lines and surfers, swimmers and floaters coming in close proximity. You have a right to use the beach as long as you are not endangering others on the beach, which includes casting near joggers or folks walking along the beach.
Hithard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default re: Anyone surf fishing in the santa monica bay, marina del rey, venice beach etc

Hithard's post is right on.

My biggest 5 tips would be

1. Read the stickies at the top of the board then
2. Go out and fish. You will learn alot.
3. Keep walking the shore until you find the fish.
4. Pay attention to the conditions, tides, time that you find the fish.
5. Keep walking the shore until you find the fish.

RDG
Ready 2 Go is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Karin; To Allcoast

Early morning or late afternoon (Sunset I like) have alot less crowds.
Check the tides and practice. The Corbina are in close and standing in water up to your knees is not needed, it only scares the fish.
Where did you move from ?

Be carefull if you catch the small round 'Banjo Stingray'.
The stinger is at the end of the tail and they whip it around.
I like to flip them over on their back with the butt of the rod then throw a clump of kelp on the back half tail area. Then step on the kelp area and unhook them. then use the butt of the rod to flip them back to the ocean. Many cut the line.

Good Luck, DR
DockRat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockRat
Karin; To Allcoast

Early morning or late afternoon (Sunset I like) have alot less crowds.
Check the tides and practice. The Corbina are in close and standing in water up to your knees is not needed, it only scares the fish.
Where did you move from ?

Be carefull if you catch the small round 'Banjo Stingray'.
The stinger is at the end of the tail and they whip it around.
I like to flip them over on their back with the butt of the rod then throw a clump of kelp on the back half tail area. Then step on the kelp area and unhook them. then use the butt of the rod to flip them back to the ocean. Many cut the line.

Good Luck, DR
Thank You DR,

Infact, I did go through a lot of information on this website, which I find awesome. Did not have the chance to go fishing yet, as I am looking for a job with a decent salary ( was wrongfully terminated ). I can see Behdad is one of the best on Corbina. I caught a huge one in playa vista but unfortunately, I did not take any picture of it. I would say, at least 23 inches. I was fishing on the jetty, if i can call it so. Some good action on Opaleye, black surf perch a a fish that looks like white fish.

Oh regarding the banjo sting ray, yeah , thanks for the warning even if I know that fish back from algeria, where I came from. Oh man, that is a dangerous one. The avatar was taken on fishing trip, on Enterprise boat ( pierpoint.net) . If any is fishing on that boat just let me know, se we can meet and talk.

Thank you all for the help, advice and tips...

karim
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2016, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Icon34 Perch, corbina, yellow fin croakers

try around 17 and 18 life guard station 1 mile north of the pier. weve gotten a few corbinas at 4.5lbs and 5.3
digital scale of coarse. they bite lug worms, ghost shrimp, and plastic rootbeer color worms.these fish love to bite on a slow jerk and retrieve. if it sits still you might get a small one by accident.
tommytuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.