Hooking sandcrabs - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2005, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hooking sandcrabs

edit: pinned Jun 12, 2007 This article was originally posted in early summer 2004. Soon after, the original MomentofFame photo site went kaput. Posted again during the summer of 2006, but the Yourfishpicsture site also went down. Here it is again in edited form with pics uploaded to the Allcoast site: Finding the sandcrabs are pretty easy in the warmth of the summer. You can see them in their beds from a distance down the beach as rough areas in the sand just above the water line. Wintertime is tougher to find them as they either go deeper in the sand or deeper down the water. In any case, they usually are real tough to find in winter. Load up with enough for a couple days fishing (50 sandcrabs is your legal limit). You can store them overnight in a tupperware container with no water. A layer of shreddedd newspaper should be placed on top of the sandcrabs. Set a ziplock bag full of ice atop the container of sandcrabs to keep them cool. Condensed water will drip down on the layer of paper to keep the crabs cool. Placing the tupperware containers and ice bag in a cooler will keep them for another day longer. _ _ I started hooking this way during the BS perch spawn last March. It worked surprisingly well for the big spawning perch Got a couple of corbs this way but not enough to stay with it. 20.jpg _ _ This one's a little tricky to do but I got a couple of corbs in May using this method. This advantage on this one is that the the hook point is hidden in the roe area and the hook is flush with the back of the crab. The fish shouldn't feel t hook at all. When the corb crushes the bait, the hook is in it's mouth and the fish is on. The line comes straight out the tail and the bait looks natural in its presentation and movement. 22.jpg _ _ This way seems to work well with smaller crabs. Not a lot of finesse in this method but it seems to have a good hookup percentage when the fish want the smaller baits. 24.jpg _ _ This one is what I use mostly nowadays. I haven't come across a better producer so until I do, this is the one I'm using. I use a #8 or #6 hook here, depending on the size of the crab. The exposed hook will set into the fish's mouth on the first bite whether the is aggressive or tentative. 21.jpg _ _ Anyone else have their favorite ways of hooking their baits? Post your methods here. Pics will work better than a word description. For softshells, I use 24.jpg and the biggest hook... mainly so the crab doesn't fly off when I lob it. Edit: A personal note here. I like to release the corbina. Sure, you can eat them but I've come to respect them after watching a few put up a spectacular rooster tail and after being bested by a few of these torpedos. So I'll take a pic, I'll take the time to revive them and I'll s them on their way with a phrase of thanks. I'll post a report and identify them with a respectful moniker, such as corbina, corb for short...but never a "bean"... They deserve more than that.

This post edited by Charlie 03:25 PM 06/26/2007
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2005, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
BC

Default RE: Hooking sandcrabs

Jeff,

Thanks for sharing your info. on different ways to hook a sand crab.
Very helpful.

Thanks,

BC
BC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2005, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks again Jeff. I'm sure no animals were harmed or mamed for this photo shot re-enactment.

You bring a lot of knowledge to this board and even better yet you share it!!

Domo Arigato..Gozaimasu.
islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2005, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

I use a little different method of hooking sand crabs.

I use the #6 Super Mutu circle hook, and bring the point of the hook up from the bottom of the crabs shell just to the side and back down on the other side so that the point of the hook is near the roe. I have been using this method for several years now with good results.

Ed
tinfoil2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2005, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Jeff. Just anchored it at the top. That time of year so this should answer the sandcrab hooking question.

j
jscrib is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2005, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks tinfoil2,

I tend to use circles too or mosquitos for really small stuff. Even when fishing the kelp, I am confident that the last bend in the circle hook tends to fend/bounce off kelp strands and some structure for fewer snags and tangles with terminal gear.

Appreciate your suggestion on the circle hook/shrimp hooking.

tsurikichi
tsurikichi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2005, 12:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Jeff....I was wondering about this just yesterday.

Know, If I could get a lesson on where (how) to find the little bugs? :7

Tight lines....But not too tight!
Tunabliss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2005, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

I love this thread, nice pictures and detailed explanations..

Just one question on the last picture, i can easily see how the hook can turn either left or right, thus reduce the protrusion of the tip of the hook and in return reduce the hook up chance...?

CaffeineHigh
CaffeineHigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2005, 08:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

>Just one question on the last picture, i can easily see how
>the hook can turn either left or right, thus reduce the
>protrusion of the tip of the hook and in return reduce the
>hook up chance...?

Interesting question since this method of hooking is usually the most dependable and most productive. The answer can be found by casting this setup into the clear water of your swimming pool and pulling the crab as it would be pulled in front of your prey in the surf. Notice that the line tension does not allow the crab to flop to the side. It may 'weeble wobble' (sorry, Bill, I couldn't help myself) but always returns to the center as the forces of water keep it straight. Assuming of course that you hooked the crab along it's center line.

Then, let the line go slack. Watch as the lack of tension in the line allows your crab to flop over. When the fish grabs your flopping bait, the hook may very well be ineffective and miss the hookup. That's alright because with all the slack in the line, you won't even notice that you just got a nibble.

Just another reason to keep the slack out of your line when fishing with sand crabs. ;-)
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2005, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Jeff:

Your wife actually lets you put these natty, smelly things in your swimming pool?

B
Weebles Wobble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.