Man I thought that was one big bass! - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Man I thought that was one big bass!

While fishing for LMB at my local lake Legg Lake,just a few minutes from home,I was throwing a bass bait,the ika on 10lb test line on a GLoomis senko rod.
I've caught a few bass here in the last month or so,biggest 6-7lbs,but mostly fish in the 1-3lb range.
My biggest fish in this lake is about an 8lb bass.
Anyway...I cast the ika and dead stick while checking my phone and listening to Steely Dan on my ipod,I go to raise the bait and bounce it and it loads up and takes off,I mean really takes off!
I'm stoked,big fish on,10lb test I got this pig,then it proceeds to cross the lake and head into the reeds,I'm not kidding when I say it looked like an African Cape Buffalo going thru the reeds!
Thats when I thought,man this is no bass,I finally got it out and when it reached the middle of the lake it boiled and all I could see was,bright gold,copper,and even a little red.
I said to myself,geeez it's a big Koi for my pond or just a common carp,oh well might as well enjoy the fight,right?
That was the hardest freshwater fighting fish I've caught in a long time!
Much respect for the lowly Buggle Lips,thanks for the battle,estimate weight,25lbs,reference,I'm 6'4"280lbs!Geez I gotta lose some weight!lol

Cya Tuna Vic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big fish! 032.JPG (50.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg big fish! 034.JPG (66.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg big fish! 028.JPG (32.5 KB, 0 views)
tunavic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Man I thought that was one big bass!

Wow, nice fish! Big ol' strong things, like freshwater yellowtail.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley
Wow, nice fish! Big ol' strong things, like freshwater yellowtail.
Thanks Marley yeah very true on their pulling ability,once I realized it was a carp,I just resigned myself from thinking I hooked my biggest bass ever to,just enjoy the fight,it was cool.

Cya Tuna Vic
tunavic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Cool catch vic! Imagine if it was a bass? Lake record!! What did it taste like?j/k. Going on a 2 1/2 day on memorial day weekend. local island hopper trip..hopefully get me and my boy a biscuit! give the report after. Fished the pipe and newport reefs last weekend. Never fished the reefs before..was kinda snotty..wifes cousin (thats been beggin me to take him) was chumming all day. No love on the reefs. The pipe produced every pass over it. Good times. Water was nice and warm and super clean. Hopefully things kick into gear here for us locally. Cya on the water.
reel loco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the report! I used to drive by Legg Lake all the time on the 60 thinking, I wonder what's in there? Next time, I bringing a rod and a hand full of artificials and give the lake a whirl!
Carp is held to such disdain in SoCal, while every where else the lowly carp is held in great esteem as a gamefish. Read it called the fresh water bonefish for its sizzling runs on shallow water flats and dogged fight in deeper water. They have Carp Tournaments back South East and in Europe.
A buddy of mine won a Carp Tournament in Central Texas for $5K with a 40#r his largest!
J_AkuHed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, those crazy Europeans like their carp fishing. And for good reason! carp put up one heck of a fight. I catch one now and then on the 2-lb trout gear and can attest to their strength and stamina. One thing about them, though, is that they stink. I can't touch one, always let them go. Probably shouldn't let them go, but I just can't touch one.
And they really tear up a lake as they feed. Fun as they are to catch, they muddy up a body of water something fierce.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.