Building and rebuilding Rail Rods - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Building and rebuilding Rail Rods

Have a buddy with three rods; 760H, 6463XXXH and XXXXH that all have rollers and he wants to have them redone with ringed guides. You know, it's the Gucci thing to do.

Also, probably going to be building a couple more for another buddy; 770XXH and 770XXXXH.

Question is what guides are you guys using for these? I built my 2 X 4 using the Titanium turbo guides but they're a little spendy. I see C&M has the Pac Bay titanium turbos. What Fuji guide is good for this?
Steve K is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Building and rebuilding Rail Rods

The guide I most use for rail rods is the Fuji HBSG. The Alconite ringed ones have worked well too but once you layout the bucks for a good rail blank seat and grip assy + labor the extra for the good rings is negligible.
Lou W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Been shopping MudHole and AcidRod on these guides.

Looks like the price difference between the Silicon Nitride and Silicon Carbide guides is about $50/set. Personal choice for the angler. I believe they use the Silicon Nitride guides on the stock Calstars; BHBNG
Steve K is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve K
Have a buddy with three rods; 760H, 6463XXXH and XXXXH that all have rollers and he wants to have them redone with ringed guides. You know, it's the Gucci thing to do.

Also, probably going to be building a couple more for another buddy; 770XXH and 770XXXXH.

Question is what guides are you guys using for these? I built my 2 X 4 using the Titanium turbo guides but they're a little spendy. I see C&M has the Pac Bay titanium turbos. What Fuji guide is good for this?
I have used the PacBay Ti turbos, the Fuji SiC HBSGs and SiN II CHBNG/BHBNGs, they're all good. I'm partial to the PacBay Ti Turbos because the are much lighter and flex more than the SS framed Fujis.
If you are building those heavy a$$ed rod, then weight isn't a factor, however with the lighter, smaller O.D., Phenixs', they are a consideration.
J_AkuHed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have a question also. I was considering changing to ringed guides also on my factory 765H. I wanted to keep the factory look so I need to find out which thread Calstar uses on their wraps. The aquamarine color on the Grafiters is the one I need.
Any help would be appreciated.
conchydong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchydong
I have a question also. I was considering changing to ringed guides also on my factory 765H. I wanted to keep the factory look so I need to find out which thread Calstar uses on their wraps. The aquamarine color on the Grafiters is the one I need.
You know, that is a propietary color!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_AkuHed
Quote:

Thanks for the info Jim. I guess if I go that route than I would have to find something close.
Might have to look at Gudebrod or some other manufacturers color chart and try and get something close enough where only the most discrinimating eye (my wifes) can tell the difference.
conchydong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_AkuHed
Quote:

Thanks for the info Jim. I guess if I go that route than I would have to find something close.
Might have to look at Gudebrod or some other manufacturers color chart and try and get something close enough where only the most discrinimating eye (my wifes) can tell the difference.
J/K! The closest I've foundis FishHawk Teal.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
JL

I have been using the Fuji silicon nitrite for the last three seasons without any issues. I had a few of the rings popped off from the Titanium turbo guides. They flex too much maybe that was why the rings popped off. Never had any issues with Fuji.
JL is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

A while ago you showed me Acidrods had the Pac Bay Titanium. I had one built before that on the Titan Turbos. Ever since all my rail rods are on the Pac Bay titanium from Acidrods. I cannot tell the difference except the price...
Bill W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.