Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

Fact or fiction?

911 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  tunavic1 
#1 ·
Fact or fiction?
Not much of a fishing report this week because there are not that many fishing. Off shore the showing of striped marlin and dorado has continued for the few boats out there. In shore yellowtail are in the neighborhood but finding live bait has been problematic.

Fact or fiction Fluorocarbon has little or no stretch? At a Super Bowl party I posed this question. (Heck, the game wasn't worth watching and we needed something to talk about.) The consensus was fact. I also asked seasoned sport writers and skippers who made their living sportfishing. The result was the same. Everyone I spoke with agreed that fluorocarbon did not stretch much.

As it has turned out I and everybody I asked have been mis-informed. Fluorocarbon does stretch. In fact it may stretch more than monofiliment.

Last fall we switched all of our mono and florocarbon to Momio and it didn't take long for me to be convinced it is the highest quality product on the market today. Speaking with the folks at Momoi we started a dialog about the characteristics of fluorocarbon. That is when I discovered my perception was all wrong.

Hi-Liner Fishing Gear and Tackle that distributes Momoi in the US has a $10,000 machine specifically built to test line strength. They have determined that their monofiliment can be stretched 100 times and will return to it's original length and strength without fatigue. They boast theirs is the only mono produced with this ability. Putting fluorocarbon on the same machine they have found that it stretches as much or more than mono before breaking.

How could I and so many others not be aware of this? I believed what Hi-liner was telling me to be true but wanted to do a little more research just be certain. And there it was on Seaguar's web site.
"MYTH: Fluorocarbon has very little stretch or none at all.
FACT: Yes, fluorocarbon lines and leaders do stretch, but not as much as mono. Line typically has more stretch than leader. All Seaguar lines and leaders provide the optimum amount of shock impact/stretch."

So it seems not everyone completely agrees to the degree of stretch, but I have come to the conclusion it has a considerable amount.

Posted are a collection of "Baja centerfold" photos captured on Jen Wren Boats last year.

Mark Rayor
teamjenwren.com
markrayor.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing
US cell 310 308 5841

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.