Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

Enourmous Roosterfish in Costa Rica!

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SailFishQuepos 
#1 ·
My 28 foot inshore boat with Johnny nailed what has to be the grandfather of all the roosterfish here. Really nice one, biggest one I've seen so far I think!

He also got a pretty nice Mahi a couple of days back

And there have been an amazing amount of sailfish around. We released 16 out of 40 bites yesterday on my cold molded boat:

See less See more
#3 ·
Great fish. When would you say is the best time of year for rooster fish in Costa Rica?

I've tried looking into myself to plan a trip, and couldn't find any good opinions on it. From what I read, it seemed that it's believed the rooster fish are there year round, and that they are just targeted more during the windy season when boats can't get offshore for them.

I tried for them in Costa Rica in March a few years ago. Fishing wasn't great, and I was disappointed to just be trolling for them. I want to cast plugs for roosters next time I'm there.

Thanks,

Chris

#4 ·
Probably the latest response ever! I don't know why I just saw this :)

Best time of the year for numbers would be November to April, but we catch them year round. I don't use the same boat to go inshore and offshore, and we can always go offshore or inshore. It's very surprising you didn't catch any roosters in March, I don't think the 28 footer will have any trips this March where they don't catch roosters.

On the plugs, we can throw plugs, but live bait is always the most effective. Usually in March there are big schools of sardines around, and that's the preferred bait. But we also have a guy on the dock every night before we leave catching look down baits that work really well too. While trolling live bait out the back of the boat, you could cast the plugs off of the front, and that would give you a couple of different ways to get your roostefish.

Love to have you out, sorry for the late response!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.