DFG Proposed Changes to Kelp Bass, Sand Bass, Spotted Bay Bass Fishery - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default DFG Proposed Changes to Kelp Bass, Sand Bass, Spotted Bay Bass Fishery

I just found this on the DFG website: http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/2012/27_65isor.pdf http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/2012/27_65ntc.pdf I'm surprised that this has not been publicized more on the various fishing websites. This could actually be a good thing. Not sure why this was not thought of 10 years ago or more.

This post edited by Pelagic Hunter 06/14/2012
Pelagic Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: DFG Proposed Changes to Kelp Bass, Sand Bass, Spotted Bay Bass Fishery

I love fishing for Calicos,and they are usually my target species since most of my fishing is inshore.
I've seen and heard and read of alot of abuse to this resource,I've been fishing the LB,SP,area and Redondo,for approximately 50yrs+and there is no doubt things have changed.
Even about 20yrs ago we used to go out to an area we called the 3/4mile spot,and catch and release 40-60 Calicos almost every-time we fished there.
Now were happy if we catch and release a handful between 2guys,of course there is still those far and few between days when the fish go off and you may catch and release a couple of limits,but I think any one who loves this resource,calicos and sandies,would have to agree we need some updated regulations,JMO.

Cya Tuna Vic
Old 06-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default re: DFG Proposed Changes to Kelp Bass, Sand Bass, Spotted Bay Bass Fishery

I agree Tunavic1. The cattle boats have been slaying them for years (especially during spawn season) and now they may have to pay the piper.

I remember when we used to get brown bait, small pompano, and spanish macks, mixed in with the live chovies and sardines at the bait barge / receiver back in the '70s and '80s. Calico fishing was pretty darn good then.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Brad_G

I would support any or all of the listed options: 1) slot limit, 2) reduction of bag limit and 3) no harvesting during the spawn. Maybe just me, but I'm not a fan of boat limits either as they are a loophole for options 1 and 2.

Yes, it will further hurt the sport boats, which are already hurting. But IMHO if we don't rein in catches now, there will be none in the future, and that will whittle away at the sport fleet until its eliminated entirely. Look at how Mediterranean bluefin and swordfish catches have plummetted, and contrast that with how Alaska has maintained a healthy sport fishing industry.
Brad_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

I like the idea of a 12-20" slot limit and reduced bag limit... I can support 5 total with no more then 3 of 1 species for Bass. WSB limit of 1 year round would be fine too. I tanker is more than enough. This is actually management as opposed to the MLPA BS. With rules like these I don't know that a seasonal Sand Bass closure would be needed.
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

This has been a long time in coming and should probably have been done a while ago. A lot of the hardcore calico guys have been practicing catch and release for many years now. Even some of the sport boats used to weigh in big calicos on digital scales and then release them, but not nearly enough.

I recall almost 20 years ago fishing on dad's boat, there was a boiler rock we'd fish if we'd had a slow day. There were always a good number of calicos there including some sizable specimens. Two of the local 6 pack boats started taking notice of where we were fishing and six months after they started fishing the spot you couldn't buy a calico there anymore.

I'm all in favor of reduced catch limits and perhaps even the slot limits.
Baja Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
REK

Reduced bag limit would be fine by me. Who needs 10? Slot limit...always seemed like 12" fish was on the small side. Just to give the sporties a break, why not do it in increments? 13, 13-1/2, 14, 14-1/2, 15 or ??? inches on the minimum side to ??? maximum.
REK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

If the health of a species of fish can be adequately controlled with slot limits, smaller bag limits and seasonal closures, then why did we need the MLPA's at all? What fish are protected by them that cannot be protected by the same rules and limits that are proposed for bass? I would support the options on the table and whish this was the answer or alternative the MLPA's.
talltales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

I agree that we need to change the rules - we've been though that before . . . but I still think the Humbolt squid did more harm to the sandbass in one year than the local sport boats have done. . .
burbankbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by talltales
If the health of a species of fish can be adequately controlled with slot limits, smaller bag limits and seasonal closures, then why did we need the MLPA's at all? What fish are protected by them that cannot be protected by the same rules and limits that are proposed for bass? I would support the options on the table and wish this was the answer or alternative the MLPA's.

You brought up an excellent point. There are going to be several public DFG meetings regarding the proposed changes for the bass at various locations before the end of this year. This would be great to bring up and mention to the DFG.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.