saints coach and G M suspended - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default saints coach and G M suspended

well I hope this will stop the bounty hunters......
fishybuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: saints coach and G M suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishybuzz
It won't stop the actions but it'll stop any type of talking about it. Players will continue to try and whack guys, it's part of the game.

We'll see if this actually stands up. I'm sure they'll be some type of legal challenge.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/21/nfl-suspends-saints-coach-ex-coordinator-over-bounty-program/?hpt=hp_t1
Boltar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltar
Quote:
It won't stop the actions but it'll stop any type of talking about it. Players will continue to try and whack guys, it's part of the game.

We'll see if this actually stands up. I'm sure they'll be some type of legal challenge.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/21/nfl-suspends-saints-coach-ex-coordinator-over-bounty-program/?hpt=hp_t1
mark gotta agree with you....I wonder what the price is for Payton in Denver??
Old 03-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
mark gotta agree with you....I wonder what the price is for Payton in Denver??
The Raiders will do it for free. :P
Pelagic Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:

I don't know if I'd describe it as part of the game.
Hithard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hithard
Quote:
Quote:

Played high school and college ball. 25 years as a high school coach. Friends with several ex nfl players. Friends with nfl trainer. Friends with one of the guys who gives out fines for nfl "infractions". All of them pretty much agree with me.

"Whacking", as in trying to hit a guy as hard as you can is and will always be part of the game.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

You shared most of that background/resume information before. I still don't know what that has to do with paying players to injure other players. "Whacking" players, solid hits and strong blocks are one thing, but systemic incentivizing of injury (clean or otherwise and looking back at their pattern there was plenty of otherwise) is poor sportsmanship at best and at worst outright dangerous, not to mention against the rules of the NFL. And that I have or have had friends (that I competed with or against) in several professional sports including the NFL has no bearing on whether or not I think this is wrong and should not be a part of the sport. Having said all that I don't disagree that a certain level of violence and danger are inherent to football (which I do consider part of the game), but the belief that trying to hurt other people is part of the game and always will be I can't agree with. I do think there is some political implication to the severity of the sanctions with the concussion suits, etc...but in the end what Williams has been doing for years is in bad taste and he apparently is going to pay dearly (possibly with his career)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hithard
Quote:
Quote:
It won't stop the actions but it'll stop any type of talking about it. Players will continue to try and whack guys, it's part of the game. We'll see if this actually stands up. I'm sure they'll be some type of legal challenge. http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/21...ram/?hpt=hp_t1
Played high school and college ball. 25 years as a high school coach. Friends with several ex nfl players. Friends with nfl trainer. Friends with one of the guys who gives out fines for nfl "infractions". All of them pretty much agree with me. "Whacking", as in trying to hit a guy as hard as you can is and will always be part of the game.
EDITBTW for clarity its the payment for cart offs and implied attempt to injure that I disagree with. I'm all for smashmouth football, but the days of Ronnie Lott and Jack Tatum are past and IMO should be, the long term damage to these guys is a societal issue that should be addressed at the earliest stages of sport.

This post edited by Hithard 03/22/2012
Hithard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

me thinks the players union is going to remain mute on challenging any players suspensions WHEN they are handed down. Why? how can they ask for more "pension $$$ due to injury" money next time their contract comes up for renewal if they openly condone the intentional game ending/career ending hits?
Wils is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

The reason I state my "bona fides" is to provide some evidence behind my statement.

I agree that openly paying guys for taking guys out was and is stupid but even without the financial incentive, it will still occur. Bragging rights if nothing else.

If we're so concerned about injuries, why play games in the rain, snow, and ice?

Players are much more likely to be injured in those situations.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
The reason I state my "bona fides" is to provide some evidence behind my statement. I agree that openly paying guys for taking guys out was and is stupid but even without the financial incentive, it will still occur. Bragging rights if nothing else. If we're so concerned about injuries, why play games in the rain, snow, and ice? Players are much more likely to be injured in those situations.
every football movie I ever watched besides the Marshall team movie always had a component of injuries and how they were part of the game and how they impacted the outcomes of games and players....just saying where do you draw the line.....it is definite advantage to have the other team 's star sitting on the bench injured.....football is a violent game that's the attraction for football fans as opposed to ice dancing......

This post edited by fishybuzz 03/26/2012

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.