New Seaport to hit Punta Colonet - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SteveT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 829
Default New Seaport to hit Punta Colonet

I'm sure a lot of you have been following this but I just read that bidding started today on the project. I am amazed at the size of this project at 4-5 billion dollars and must wonder if as with most mexican big projects it doesn't just run outa gas and get abandoned like so many other projects with a bajillion buildings with rebar sticking out the top. IMO it's ashame to see such a neat place ruined, I used to surf there quite a bit years ago and liked the remote location. I wonder what the impact will be on the great fishing just offshore. Can you imagine a port larger than Long Beach with virtually NO polution standards? God this could really turn out to be a mess!
And I also have to wonder just how good will the security be and the amount of contraband and drugs that will be transported by rail into the US.
I really hope this thing flops!
SteveT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2008, 02:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Neill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Fountain Valley
Posts: 4,134
Default re: New Seaport to hit Punta Colonet

Steve,

It's been talked about for a few years but its requires roads and railyards that run to the US, organized as the 2nd largest port in the world.....

I don't see it, Mexico does not have the infrastucture to build such a project......

Just MHO...

Neill
Neill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
MarkT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 7,156
Default re: New Seaport to hit Punta Colonet

San Diego doen't have much in the way of container freight because the only rail line runs up to LA so most containers just come into LA/Long Beach. Building a huge port down the coast from SD makes even less sense than adding big container freight terminals in SD.
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
REK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 948
Default re: New Seaport to hit Punta Colonet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT
San Diego doen't have much in the way of container freight because the only rail line runs up to LA so most containers just come into LA/Long Beach. Building a huge port down the coast from SD makes even less sense than adding big container freight terminals in SD.
Yuma?
REK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
REK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 948
Default re: New Seaport to hit Punta Colonet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neill
Steve,

It's been talked about for a few years but its requires roads and railyards that run to the US, organized as the 2nd largest port in the world.....

I don't see it, Mexico does not have the infrastucture to build such a project......

Just MHO...

Neill
Secretaries making 6 figures w/full benefits and all others making more. Traffic CFs, blah, blah, blah......thinking maybe shippers want an alternative. Mo money, Mo money, Mo money or drop anchor offshore and we will get to you whenever.

Just thinking out loud. Gonna mess up a chunk of paradise fo sure.
REK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
MarkT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 7,156
Default re: New Seaport to hit Punta Colonet

They'd have to truck stuff from Colonet to Yuma to load it on the train. To make a port down there effective they'd have to have rail lines to San Diego to join to BNSF and to Yuma to join to UPSP. It'd only cost a 'few' billion dollars. Of course if you connect to SD you'd still have to ship through LA so what's the point?
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 02:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
REK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 948
Default re: New Seaport to hit Punta Colonet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT
They'd have to truck stuff from Colonet to Yuma to load it on the train. To make a port down there effective they'd have to have rail lines to San Diego to join to BNSF and to Yuma to join to UPSP. It'd only cost a 'few' billion dollars. Of course if you connect to SD you'd still have to ship through LA so what's the point?
I thought the plan was a rail line from Colonet to Yuma, nothing to/through San Diego. From Yuma to N. America. Even if there is no rail, trucks from Colonet can deliver through out N. America(remember NAFTA and Mex trucks). I don't think San Diego and/or LA are even considered. If Mexico and the worlds' shipping fleet want this, I would think money is not that big an issue, even if it's a few billion. Colonet to NYC or LA to NYC not much difference. Port/Ca. environmental rules and freeway traffic CFs, why not Mexico? Again, just thinking out loud, no sides taken, (other than my selfish position on fishing N. Baja).
REK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SteveT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 829
Default re: New Seaport to hit Punta Colonet

My wife and I talked about this after I posted and She's been down there with me also and loves the remoteness considering how close it really is to our border. I think her/our biggest concern is that this project will get started and they'll screw up the area with massive breakwalls and build the beginning of an infrastructure and realize this is way too big of a project for basically a third world country and just leave it un-completed.
I know it is not any where as big as the Punta Colenet project, but look what happened to Puerto Escondido project and others south of Loreto. They had big ideas of a ferry port and homes docks, etc. and all there is is a big vacant lot with a rusted old ferry sitting there.
I don't want to paint the Mexican Govt. as a bunch of buffoons, but look at the track record.
JMOO
SteveT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
reddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 3,678
Default re: New Seaport to hit Punta Colonet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT
My wife and I talked about this after I posted and She's been down there with me also and loves the remoteness considering how close it really is to our border. I think her/our biggest concern is that this project will get started and they'll screw up the area with massive breakwalls and build the beginning of an infrastructure and realize this is way too big of a project for basically a third world country and just leave it un-completed.
I know it is not any where as big as the Punta Colenet project, but look what happened to Puerto Escondido project and others south of Loreto. They had big ideas of a ferry port and homes docks, etc. and all there is is a big vacant lot with a rusted old ferry sitting there.
I don't want to paint the Mexican Govt. as a bunch of buffoons, but look at the track record.
JMOO
I don't think that Colonet will be a "build it and they will come" kind of project thus less chance that it would be a ghost town. If it gets momentum it will be driven by the shipping companies.
reddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 11:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rat Beach
Posts: 2,465
Default re: New Seaport to hit Punta Colonet

Quote:
Originally Posted by REK
I thought the plan was a rail line from Colonet to Yuma, nothing to/through San Diego. From Yuma to N. America. Even if there is no rail, trucks from Colonet can deliver through out N. America(remember NAFTA and Mex trucks). I don't think San Diego and/or LA are even considered. If Mexico and the worlds' shipping fleet want this, I would think money is not that big an issue, even if it's a few billion.
That is the plan. New rail and a trucker freeway to Yuma. There is a truck border crossing point just past Holtville near El Centro/Mexicali. They might go that route. They want to build Colonet from 100 ? to 150,000 person city. Before After Wow; found this pic OMG A car collides into cyclists participating in a race in Mexico's northern border city of Matamoros, Sunday June 1, 2008. At least one person was killed and 14 injured when a driver slammed into a bicycle race. DR

This post edited by DockRat 08/30/2008
DockRat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Punta Colonet Project going butts-up? SteveT Main Fishing Board 11 01-19-2009 12:34 AM
Rpt- 1-21 & 1-22 2day to Colonet. Tunaslam Public Boat Reports 30 01-26-2006 03:45 PM
Colonet Numbers??? GettinUglysSon Public Boat Reports 1 08-10-2005 09:55 AM
Off to Colonet boswell Surf Fishing Board 1 03-31-2005 10:37 AM
Colonet?? Arvin_OnTheIron_45 Main Fishing Board 11 03-03-2005 07:37 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1