MLPA How many of you did survey? - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default MLPA How many of you did survey?

I did, it took about a 1/2 hour.

As of September 18, only 296 recreational ocean anglers had completed the survey.!!!

http://www.ecotrust.org/mlpa/interview_signup

Registration for the interview process must occur before October 8, 2008.

Interviews must be completed before October 11, 2008.

MLPA Call to Action

Here is a reminder from United Anglers regarding the MLPA.

Clock on Critical Angler Survey Winding Down

An important opportunity for anglers to potentially protect their favorite ocean fishing spots from closure is slipping away. On October 1, the clock on the Ecotrust South Coast Marine Life Protection Act Survey will have run its course.

By now, anyone who fishes the salt should be aware of the challenge the MLPA represents. This state law requires establishment of a network of marine protected areas in state waters. Fishing closures are inevitable. What?s in question is where the reserves will go. It?s in the best interests of the majority that the closures avoid popular fishing areas.

That?s where the Ecotrust Survey comes in. Using an internet mapping tool, recreational anglers can indicate the fishing zones they value most. It?s no guarantee that a particular spot will stay open, but in the worst case, it will help quantify the economic and social impact of the closure.

As of September 18, only 296 recreational ocean anglers had completed the survey. That?s out of untold thousands of Southern California private boaters, kayak anglers, free divers, and pier and shore fishermen (the ridership of sportfishing boats is captured in a separate survey). Given the high stakes, that sample is far too small.

The list of sportfishing interest groups that support survey participation is incredibly long, including major names such as the Partnership for Sustainable Oceans, the Sportfishing Association of California and United Anglers of Southern California. With such widespread support, what explains the disappointing numbers?

Could it be the decidedly ?green? name Ecotrust on the survey label? Possibly. It?s important to consider that Ecotrust is simply contracted to provide this information to the MLPA Initiative for the use of Regional Stakeholders, a group which will include numerous representatives of sportfishing organizations. Ecotrust itself has no role in the decision. That?s up to the stakeholders, the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force, and the California Fish and Game Commission. They can only hope to minimize impacts on sportfishing if they have solid information.

The good news is there?s still time for anglers to participate. Interview sign-ups are available at this link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Cg76PlEFTwS6F7jG94HWEQ_3d_3d

For those who volunteered but had trouble completing the survey, help is available. They can provide technical support, reactivate expired survey invitations, restore incomplete sessions, and even perform a limited number of in-person surveys. Contact Ecotrust representatives Joe Bonkowski (503.467.0804 / jbonkoski@ecotrust.org) or Sarah Kruse (503.467.0785 / skruse@ecotrust.org). Ecotrust?s general MLPA email address is fish@ecotrust.org. ? Jim Sharper
TUNA4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: MLPA How many of you did survey?

I did. While the software is a little clunky once you do an area the rest are easy. Sad if the 296 figure is true.
reddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 11:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
HD
Banned

Pardon me for being skeptical of anything with the "eco" in it but given the fact that aerial photos were taken to identify the areas of the Channel Islands that we anglers liked most, then selected for closure...I must ask HOW DO WE KNOW THIS ISN'T A CYBER TOOL TO BE USED AGAINST US? This would be so much easier for groups like the NRDC wouldn't it. No expensive fuel to fly around and photograph the areas with fishing boats...we just hand them the spots we know fish hang in. I'm afraid I'm gonna hafta hear deom somebody like Linglover or another RFA officer before I embrace this survey. Tom at United Anglers is in favor of MPAs and I am not. Joel? Are we supplying the enemy with necessary data to use against us? http://www.ecotrust.org/mlpa

This post edited by HD 09/29/2008
HD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2008, 01:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD
Pardon me for being skeptical of anything with the "eco" in it but given the fact that arial photos were taken to identify the areas of the Channel Islands that we anglers liked most, then selected for closure...I must ask HOW DO WE KNOW THIS ISN'T A CYBER TOOL TO BE USED AGAINST US? This would be so much easier for groups like the NRDC wouldn't it. No expensive fuel to fly around and photograph the areas with fishing boats...we just hand them the spots we know fish hang in. I'm afraid I'm gonna hafta hear deom somebody like Linglover or another RFA officer before I embrace this survey. Tom at United Anglers is in favor of MPAs and I am not. Joel? Are we supplying the enemy with necessary data to use against us? http://www.ecotrust.org/mlpa
I know we disagree on this Bruce. I certainly have a lot of respect for the RFA and all their good work. I would love to see increased regs on both commercials and recs if that would stop the MLPA process in its tracks. I truly think that with the proper regs our fisheries would be much better than what the MPLAs are going to give us. Sadly it is clear that the MLPA process is something we have to live with. No amount of fighting in court or protests are going to get us as rec fishers what sitting down and arguing for our interests with the best real data wil. While the data that ecotrust is gathering certainly has the potential to be used against us I think the upside is worth that risk. That is why I participated. I have hope that UA using the "friends close, enemies closer" method in the MLPA process will work out for the best.

This post edited by reddog 09/29/2008
Old 09-29-2008, 02:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Yes, you can trust Ecotrust!

In spite of their unfortunate name, these folks are doing the ONLY well funded work that can help us avoid new closures under the MLPA in southern California. While I understand completely the reluctance that some folks may have to blindly follow the guidance of a UASC press release, this is one instance where all of our organizations agree 100%. Just do it. Tell them the Recreational Fishing Alliance, the Sportfishing Association of California, the American Sportfishing Association, the National Marine Manufacturers Association, the California Fisheries Coalition and the Partnership for Sustainable Oceans sent you. The environmental crisis industry folks don't need to tap into these survey results to know where we fish. They already can do that by aerial surveys. What the Ecotrust survey is purposed for is to identify species and areas of greatest importance to fishermen as an informational tool to respond to a rather new policy in the MLPA process--avoid unnecessary closures to areas most important to the fishing community. The only innacuracy in the UASC press release is that the deadlines have been extended. If you have never signed up, you can do so until October 8th. You have until October 10th to complete the survey. Folks who read Western Outdoors News should already have undertstood the urgent importance--particularly to the private boater community--of participating in this survey. If you have a few recent copies of WON lying about that you just skimmed, you have no one else to blame but yourself if you miss the deadline and the reasons why we all need to do this. -Joel RFA SoCal

This post edited by linglover 09/29/2008
linglover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default re: Yes, you can trust Ecotrust!

bump
Old 09-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

It took a while for them to get the survey to me, but I did it recently. I found it an interesting concept. I don't know how accurate or efficient it will be. I kind of wonder how much time anglers will spend, sorting out which spots they want to choose and how much value they place on it.

As far as shore fishing goes, short of reef, manmade structure etc. I couldn't choose one spot over another. Its a constantly changing fishery, depending on tide, swell, sand movement from previous years, etc....
Hithard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linglover
In spite of their unfortunate name, these folks are doing the ONLY well funded work that can help us avoid new closures under the MLPA in southern California.

------------------------------------------------------

The environmental crisis industry folks don't need to tap into these survey results to know where we fish. They already can do that by aerial surveys.
No pun intended, but there's something that I find fishy about those two perfectly true statements, if there are, and I'm assuming that they are, true.

So, they were the the ORG "doing the ONLY well funded work", and they delivered, late or not at all in many cases, a glitchy online or somehow electronic survey? It sounds like they were just trying to make it as difficult as possible to get responses. This is NOT indicative of anybody who is working "in our favor".

AND, they have money to do AERIAL SURVEYS, but not enough, it would seem, to deliver a simple glitch free survey in time. See the second comment in the above paragraph.

Question, Joel. If "these folks are doing the ONLY well funded work that can help us", why is there no counterpart from all the pro fishing ORGs in on, and doing the survey? Seems to me that, from what I've seen here about the survey, a simple web site could do the same, and be at least as effective at gathering survey responses.

Is there an explanation as to why something that inexpensive was not done, instead of, or juxtaposing the survey mentioned here?
Alan_Cole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglover
In spite of their unfortunate name, these folks are doing the ONLY well funded work that can help us avoid new closures under the MLPA in southern California. ------------------------------------------------------ The environmental crisis industry folks don't need to tap into these survey results to know where we fish. They already can do that by aerial surveys.
No pun intended, but there's something that I find fishy about those two perfectly true statements, if there are, and I'm assuming that they are, true. So, they were the the ORG "doing the ONLY well funded work", and they delivered, late or not at all in many cases, a glitchy online or somehow electronic survey? It sounds like they were just trying to make it as difficult as possible to get responses. This is NOT indicative of anybody who is working "in our favor". AND, they have money to do AERIAL SURVEYS, but not enough, it would seem, to deliver a simple glitch free survey in time. See the second comment in the above paragraph. Question, Joel. If "these folks are doing the ONLY well funded work that can help us", why is there no counterpart from all the pro fishing ORGs in on, and doing the survey? Seems to me that, from what I've seen here about the survey, a simple web site could do the same, and be at least as effective at gathering survey responses. Is there an explanation as to why something that inexpensive was not done, instead of, or juxtaposing the survey mentioned here?
Have you gone to the site and played with the survey? You can do so without giving them your data for use. It appears that collecting that sort of data and utilizing it would be a labor intensive project if done manually with data collected by a simpler method. It is much more comprehensive than aerial surveys alone could ever give you. I am not an expert but I know from over 20 years in IT that putting complicated software together and getting all the glitches out does not happen very quickly. Usually over the course of years. My take is they tried to make it as easy to use as possible for those untrained people taking the survey making putting glitch free software together even more difficult. Just my $.02!

This post edited by reddog 09/30/2008
Old 10-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

bump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.