Do you split fishing expenses? - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do you split fishing expenses?

I am very interested in hearing other opinions on splitting fuel costs and cleaning the boat after a trip.

FYI: When I invite someone to go fishing with me, I tell them that everyone who goes will share in the fuel costs and that we all wash the salt & grit off my boat on our return.

FYI: When I am invited to go out with someone else on their boat I always ask how much is my share of expenses and always stay to wash the boat.

Thanks for any insight to what is customary.

Nosek
949-363-8558
Super Swap Meet
Organizer/Co-Founder
33' Knight & Carver
"Aloha Lady"
Dana Point
nosek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
HD
Banned

Default RE: Do you split fishing expenses?

That's the bare minimum IMHO. I add groveling, driving all night (for those offshore runs), bait, ice, munchies...whatever is needed. Usually the PBer will tell me what to bring and that's that. I also ask what tackle to pack. Some guys don't want me to bring anything...others want minimal gear brought along. If the boat's dry (no alcohol...not even beer) I am too. If the guys want beer, I bring it. Scrubbing's a given.
HD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Amen..........someone else "GETS IT "

The priveldge of fishing on someone elses boat is nothing short of .............SACRED !!!!!
I am truly honored whenever I get the opportunity.
Fuel, Bait, cleaning, and I always leave an assortment of tackle that can be used in the future.
Fishrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

I always try and share not only expenses but workload during the trip. I always expect the same back.
One thing though, if you want to "split" expenses estimate them and or collect them upfront or at least let everyone know. You wouldn't pay for a charter at the end based on running farther than you thought or using more bait and chum than anticiapted.
viator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

We always divide all costs by the amount of anglers.
By saying ALL costs, I mean gas for the boat & truck, ice, bait, food, drinks. And yes at the end of a trip everyone participates on the clean up. Most who fish with us are willing to pay for more than requested or bring extra's such as additiona drinks,munchies or tackle to be left on the boat. If you have an issue on any of this.... you will not be asked out again, period.
Saluki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

>I always try and share not only expenses but workload during
>the trip. I always expect the same back.
>One thing though, if you want to "split" expenses estimate
>them and or collect them upfront or at least let everyone
>know. You wouldn't pay for a charter at the end based on
>running farther than you thought or using more bait and chum
>than anticiapted.
>

The 'running farther than anticipated' part is covered in your charter fee. They generally won't run farther if it means eating into their profit unless they need to get their counts up.

On a private boat, the key isn't to make money, it's to split the actual costs. If you were thinking about running 75 miles but ended up going 100 then everybodys share is more. However, it's pretty hard to get more bait when you are 100 miles offshore so the bait cost is pretty well known before leaving the harbor...

We figure out the costs of fuel, ice and bait and split the costs at the end of the trip. Going in, everyone knows 'ballpark' what the trip is going to cost.
TailsAndAles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

When I invite someone on my boat I never ask them to pitch in for anything. I dont ask them to bring gear along either, since I alreay have enoughf for everyone, But if they want to I dont say no. I have never asked anyone to give me money for fuel or to scrub my boat for me. I do this because I am going out anyways with or without them. If they do not come I will still go out and pay my own fuel so WTF? I am the one calling them to come with me, so why should I charge a guest money when I want them to go. Their payment is helping me out with things I cannot do at the same time like drive and fish. It dosent make sense to me to invite someone on your boat and then charge them for a bunch of stuff. Its a matter of generosity and respect.
Polystigma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Where do I send my phone #??????????

Bruce, I saw him first......... back off
Saluki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
HD
Banned

I'm too slow.
HD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

I don't own a boat so if I want to go out on the water I either need a ride on someone's personal boat or on a charter. If I'm going on someone's personal boat I expect to split all expenses. I make sure to give the person their money up front. I always ask the person if they need me to bring anything (bait, tackle, ice, etc.). Once the trip is done I assist in the clean up. If it's a good trip I usually give the person more money on top of expenses. There have been times when I offered the person money and they wouldn't accept it. When this was the case I usually offered the person some of my catch. Whatever the situation is I think the boat owner should make it perfectly clear before the trip what he or she expects. I think a lot of boat owners get turned off on inviting people because their passengers don't pay them what they expect when they didn't make it clear to begin with.
nockowt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.