don't take anything for granted - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default don't take anything for granted

my son was involved in a head-on collision with a wrong way drunk driver on the freeway early this morning...he walked away...banged up, but he's okay....

we had just unloaded the boat and i sent him off with a truck full of blackcod to deliver in los angeles.....i put the boat away on the mooring and got the call on the way home..20 minutes drive to the south end of santa maria...when i got there i walked up on the most horrific accident scene i have ever seen...body parts literally EVERYWHERE..he was pretty shook up, i just gave him a big hug and got him the heck out of there as soon as i could.....he was one lucky man... the collision sent him in the air...the right rear bumper put a huge hole in the semi that was next to him on the bridge...the hole was about 6 inches from the top of the trailer..bouncing between that semi and the bridge guard rail and didn't go over the side....it makes me sick just thinking about it.

it really makes you think about how fast your life can be changed.

here's a link to the story.

http://www.lompocrecord.com/news/local/51513846-8aaf-11df-9b8e-001cc4c03286.html
TAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: don't take anything for granted

Glad your son is okay, John. That report sounds horrific. You are so right how quickly life can be changed. It's a very thin thread.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm sorry to hear about the accident John. Very glad your son was able to walk away. And your post is dead on, its here and its gone in the blink of an eye.
Hithard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

John, I have heard way to many "It all happened so fast" stories of late. I am just so glad that Jr. has had such great luck from this event.....as you know you are one Lucky Father!! Count our blessings! Thanks for the great news!!
Wideopen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Glad he's OK....Thanks for reminding us not to take life for granted...
fishybuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishybuzz
Glad he's OK....Thanks for reminding us not to take life for granted...
Glad he's ok. Sounds scary, as a dad.

Today would have been Natey boy's 30th birthday. I miss the boy
wahoodad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ya gotta thank god for times like these... could'a been much worse.
Outlawman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

You just never, ever know. I am glad all worked out for your son. A very hard thing to go through. Give him a hug!
themacs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 12:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Glad to hear your son walked away from that. I can only imagine how you felt arriving at the scene. I was in an accident when I was 17 where some guy in a Caprice Classic ran a red light and broadsided my dad's little Tercel at 45 plus mph. Luckily for me he hit the right front fender and not the doors (paper thin on that car). I distinctly recall bouncing my upper body off the right seat cushion and thinking I was a goner because the wind got knocked out of me. If I had been hit in the doors I would definitely have been severely injured. My parents came up on that scene and the destroyed car and were pretty glad to see me walking around.

You're right about not taking things for granted. I investigate traffic accidents and just handled part of a truck vs. train fatality accident. The driver simply did not see the train coming at a private crossing (no gate, bells, etc.) and did not stop at the stop sign. He did not get to the other side of the tracks. Worst possible timing.

Take care of your son. I know the accident was not his fault, but he will probably be thinking about the "what ifs" anyway, so be prepared for some possible negative emotions. It takes some time for that to fade.

Heymon
Heymon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

I drove by the clean-up about 5:30 am, it was still a mess. I had no idea your son was involved, glad he is ok.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.