RE: Helpful tips. - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2001, 03:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default RE: Helpful tips.

Well RC,

There are tons of opinios about the Salton Sea both good and bad, I've fished and hunted the Salton Sea for over 20 years and I'll give you some of my opinions along with a few facts.

Yes there are fish and bird die offs, the fish dies from lack of oxygen from plankton plumes. The bird die offs are from various reasons all of which I don't know of.

As far as the fishing, I fished in the great days of the late 80's and early 90's when catching unfortunately illegal commercial poachers gill netted tons of the orangemouth corvina and sold it throughout so. California. There were also a handful of guides who advertised and bragged about killing 9 fish limits of Corvina that went over 200 lbs per person. Fishing dipped in the early 90's but has come back in the last 4 or so years.

Typically the fishing starts getting good in the spring time and can stay good into October to Nov. Fish to 20 lbs used to be very common, these bigger fish are coming back, we caught fish up to 18 lbs this summer.

I don't fish there during the Fall and Winter, I'm to busy shooting ducks and geese down around the south side of the Salton Sea.

I fish 20 lb line when throwing Fishtraps and other plastics and use 30 lb line when fishing live croaker for bait or while trolling. Yes the fish are good eating but I release all corvina I catch, as far as polution, the water in the Salton Sea is cleaner than the water in Santa Monica Bay.

If there's anything I can help you with
KID CREOLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.