Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

Red Rooster III only 13 signed up - It's going 4 sure!

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  BTB 
#1 ·
Red Rooster III Fly back trip

I just got off the phone with Linda and the March 11th to March 27th 16 day trip has 11 spots open. This is a primo trip: limited to 23 anglers with a fly back from Cabo option so it falls perfectly between the Fred Hall shows. It leaves the day after the Long Beach FH and the fly back is the day before the Del Mar show opens. No long ride uphill back home, just hop on the plane in Cabo and you're home in two hours. Perfect! This will be a Hurricane Bank, Revillagegedo trip with a lot of wahoo and trophy tuna. I have agreed to sponsor (along with Izoreline) this trip as I missed my annual Thanksgiving trip last year. I'm lining up sponsors right now and I'll have mucho swag to give away during the trip. As I get the "stuff" in I'll annmounce here what it is. To start off: I'll give away a Super Seeker Ulua to throw bombs at the wahoo, and a Super Seeker 6463 XXXH for the large model tuna. I talked to Carolina Lures and Jim is sending a load of Yumee flyers and Yumee tuna, Gamakatsu is sending heavy duty hooks for everyone. Swifty will give us Blue Water reel and rod covers and crimp conection systems. Of course plenty of Izoreline products. Red Rooster website; http://www.redrooster3.com/trips.htm More later.

This post edited by BTB 02/24/2008

#3 ·
re: Red Rooster III Fly back trip

10 lbs +/- to 292 lbs. I'm sure that there have been larger fish caught there but that's the largest that I've personally witnessed. I've also seen 280+, 260+ many times. If they're there they're there. Just like the banks inside.

#5 ·

Hi Bill, I was the lucky guy to win the Super Seeker ULUA on the post Thanksgiving trip. I want to thank you very much for the great givaways on that trip, wish you could have made it. Andy targeted big tuna and we got em! The yummie flyers work great out on the Hurricane. Where ever Andy decides to go, I'll bet He will be trophy hunting.

This post edited by Bill W 02/08/2008

#6 ·

BobberM said:
I have not been on a real long range trip yet and I have never bee to the hurricane bank. I heard that the big tuna were all being caught off of Mag Bay. What's the size of the tuna at the Hurricane Bank?
The big tuna off Mag Bay are usually gone by March then we start seeing them there again in October.

There is no doubt that the grade off mag bay is bigger than the HB. Not too many fish over 300. I think there was one caught this year at the HB that went over 300, but don't count on it. Mostly it's trophy size tuna we look for from 180 to over 200 and WAHOO!

Hurricane Bank can be hit or miss with sometimes the threat of sharks. Also, the wind can (or usually does) blow like hell out there and when the current is wrong it can be pretty misserable.

With all of that said, I have seen it so wide open with fish from 180 to 250 that every bait that hit the water was inhaled by a trophy size tuna.

One year at the HB I had 6 fish by noon from 180 to 215. I did not want another. So I thought I saw a wahoo come through the stern from some where up by the bow. I went up there with my wahoo stick for a little break in the action. I threw the bomb out to where i thought the wahoo came from and hook another tuna that went 180 on my wahoo outfit.

It seems that everyone wants the cows and little is said about the fantastic wahoo fishing at the Hurricane. Last trip the Rooster reported 148 wahoo and the troll JP went for a 51.4 wahoo. -- Very Nice!

Man, I love the Hurricane Bank!!

We also fish the bottom with a ganion and catch threadfin sculpin and popeyes. Here's a threadfin sculpin.

Attachments

#7 ·

Right On Bill,

I looooovee the Hurricane. So many folks think you have to have cow fishing for the trip to be successful. I for one am crazy about Wahoo on the jig. Personally, I could fish those suckers all day and fish the tuna all night and have an incredible experience. I know there are folks out there who rate their trips on the number of cow tuna caught on the boat but to me a good Wahoo bite is wayyyyy worth the 3.5 to 4 day trip. Hopefully the tuna are there too but maaaaan, in the old days a 150 - 180 pound tuna was considered faaaantastic. To me they still are. Its the shear joy that accompanies the catching of these fabulous fighters of the sea. Cows are great but the bank is just plain special in its own right. Wahoo, tuna or as Big Bill says dropping down to the bottom and see what happens is just plain outrageously fun fishing. Your cannot fish 24/7 outside of Mag Bay, but you can at the bank. For those of us who have been lucky enough to have been there, once or more than once, and for those of you who will visit there in the future, remember only a very small fraction of 1 percent of the fishing population will ever enjoy that experience. Life is so short, experience it while you can. If I could I would be leaving on the next boat down there.

JMHO

Jamie

#8 ·

Wow, Jamie, sooo how do you really feel about fishing the HB? LOL

It looks like thing slowed down at the Bank on the current trip for Andy, so they came back up to The islands to fish offshore. What a bummer. Just kidding. It looks like they are doing OK with 3 over 200 and 14 over 100 on Wed. then things slowed down a bit.

We still have a couple of spots - should be a good trip. Linda says that they'll take bookings for this trip at FH Long Beach. See me at my booth at Long Beach if you can.

#9 ·

Jamie likes the HB, I prefer the Island buffer zones myself.I enjoy the hunt, sometimes I help look, sometimes I kick back in between spots. They come to the corner pretty good at times, and I truly enjoy when we get a plunker.

#10 ·
Great report from the Rooster

Well, it looks like a trip offshore at the islands or buffer zone. Still only 12 signed up. Here's the latest report from Andy Cates: Feb. 21st, 2008 "Good morning folks. We finished off good yesterday with a great show on Black porpoise and some big fish to go with it. 15 tuna for the day. Three over 200, biggest fish caught by Mark Moffet a 281 that was retrieved in the skiff. Allen Babashof with a 234 and Rich Rose with another cow going 213. The dozen other fish were 150 to 193 pounds and an incredible show on the stops. Very similar to the explosive action of the Mag bay fishery only it was out here at the Island. With the time spent out here It looks to me like there are good possibilities of big fish to come for trips coming up. It is a lot of work and you do have to be patient but the chances are there. We are on our way home and so far the weather is nice, lets hope it continues." Looks like Mark got a skiff ride along with a great fish, way to go Mark! I still love the HB. maybe a shot at the best of both? I'll have Andy on the show Sunday night and ask where we're going and what to expect.

This post edited by BTB 02/22/2008

#11 ·
trip is on!

I just got off the phone with the RRIII office and they will go with those signed up now. There's 13 signed up as of this morning. There should be a couple more by the time the trip leaves but it'll be a very light load. Looks like private staterooms and a lot of rail room!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.