IT IS...WHAT IT IS!!! - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default IT IS...WHAT IT IS!!!

Leaving tomorrow morning on the Excel with my brother Guppy and our friend Zebco Commander. The weather has changed and the big fish have yet to show themselves. I'm praying for good weather...good fishing is a bonus. Not having a cell phone or email for 10-days is sure going to be nice. I'm going to take advantage of the time and being back on the water is going to be a nice change from all day to day stuff. It's been 3 years since and really looking forward to getting back on the "big rig." Wish us luck and good luck to all of you heading out and I hope we all lay the wood to'em. Good Fishing, BFK

This post edited by Bluefinkilla 11/04/2008
Bluefinkilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: IT IS...WHAT IT IS!!!

Good Luck and have a Great Trip.

Harddrive
harddrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

You got the mindset, you're gonna have a great time. Remember what a wise, not so old, tuna slayer (with the nic of a much skinnier fish) once said: I'd rather be leaving when the bite's slow than when it's wfo. (or, something like that)

This post edited by jiggermyster 11/04/2008
jiggermyster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd rather get the crappy weather out of the way going south. Hopefully smooth sailing coming home.
And even though the big fish haven't shown (yet), the fishing they are having is very very good fall fishing. Sounds like some very fat wahoo have been take the last few days.
Have a great trip, say hi to Captains Justin and Jason for me.
wahoodad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoodad
I'd rather get the crappy weather out of the way going south. Hopefully smooth sailing coming home.
And even though the big fish haven't shown (yet), the fishing they are having is very very good fall fishing. Sounds like some very fat wahoo have been take the last few days.
Have a great trip, say hi to Captains Justin and Jason for me.
I'd rather go downhill during this change of weather that's for sure. I know those bigger fish have been seen, it's just a matter of getting with the program. All that I know is that Justin and the crew of the Excel will do whatever they can within their means to get us on the fish. Regardless of us having an opporunity on cows, the fishing is really good down there. I'm looking forward to the adventure ahead of us.

Wahoodad...I'll tell Justin and Jason you say hello.

I plan on putting together a full report and pictures when we get back.

Good Fishing,
BFK
Bluefinkilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

BFK, FYI, I got the patch for you and your bro, so the weather hopefully will not get to you too bad. And if it does, well I'll take pictures. If nothing else, we are in for a great time. See you soon. ZC

This post edited by Zebco_Commander 11/04/2008
Zebco_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
HD
Banned

The last two 10 day trips I took had the same thing...made record time to the rocks. Love that push...more fishing time! A flat ride home is always a plus! G'luck!
HD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm with you brotha... Leaving on the Intrepid tomorrow..

Hope we all whack um...

Good luck and I too will report when I get back!!!
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Looks like the weather should be fine...until you plan to come home (if the storm materializes). I have been keeping a watch as I'll be on the Indy and we return home on the 16th.

This is from the wetsand website for Southern Cal:

http://swellwatch.wetsand.com/#place=30.715201644740844_-111.575195_7_1422_height_none_Sat_-1

Wednesday the 5th weather should clear as some NW swell comes down from the Gulf, angled from 300 degrees and size chest high for west facing breaks. Some light southern hemi should help south facing breaks with waist high waves. Winds should be light and variable in the AM, then onshore in the afternoon to 15 mph. Tide remains in a slack-water state in the 3-foot range for much of the morning, hitting an ~4-foot high around 1:40 PM.

Thursday the 6th the Gulf NW is expected to back off as the mino SW remains. In all, it's looking like a waist high day most everywhere. Weather should improve further, and winds could be lightly offshore in the AM. Tide on Thursday is high around 5:30 AM at ~3.5 feet, low around 10:30 AM at ~3 feet, and high around 3:30 PM at ~4 feet.

Friday the 7th some minor SW is due, but this should only bring waist high waves or so to south facing breaks. NW energy is looking nil.

Saturday the 8th looks about the same: waist high SW, barely any NW.

Sunday the 9th the SW is expected to back down, and we should see some westerly swell come in. This is from a storm in the Western Pacific right now that should die off long before reaching our shores (actually about 3000 miles away from us). Size should be around waist to chest on the 9th, angled from 280, periods 13 seconds, but sets sporadic. Models hint at some reform of the storm, which could mean weather and winds, but looking at the long range weather models today around SoCal, this just doesn't add up. More on this over the next few days.

Monday the 10th this WNW swell is expected to peak. Provided there is no reform of this storm in the next few days, Monday would see size running chest+ around west facing breaks, perhaps a bit better at standouts.

Tuesday the 11th is looking like a WNW swell day so far, but I'll need to see how this WestPac storm plays out in the next couple of days.

Wednesday the 12th we should see some southern hemi come up from a storm forming right now near New Zealand. The models don't favor this one having much northward movement, so waist to chest is the call so far, with an ETA on the 12th.

Thursday the 13th or Friday the 14th would be our next swell event, if, that is, you can believe the 132h+ northern hemi models this afternoon. The long range projection in the Western Pacific shows a massive fetch forming south of the Kamchatka Peninsula, whipping up 40-foot seas once within 2900 nautical miles of SoCal. This would mean 16- to 18-second period swell from 280-290, and size potentially a couple feet overhead...Double Overhead if this storm holds together long enough on its eastward trek across the Pacific. But, it's still too early to make a confident call today.
snordo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snordo
Looks like the weather should be fine...until you plan to come home (if the storm materializes). I have been keeping a watch as I'll be on the Indy and we return home on the 16th.

This is from the wetsand website for Southern Cal:

http://swellwatch.wetsand.com/#place=30.715201644740844_-111.575195_7_1422_height_none_Sat_-1

Wednesday the 5th weather should clear as some NW swell comes down from the Gulf, angled from 300 degrees and size chest high for west facing breaks. Some light southern hemi should help south facing breaks with waist high waves. Winds should be light and variable in the AM, then onshore in the afternoon to 15 mph. Tide remains in a slack-water state in the 3-foot range for much of the morning, hitting an ~4-foot high around 1:40 PM.

Thursday the 6th the Gulf NW is expected to back off as the mino SW remains. In all, it's looking like a waist high day most everywhere. Weather should improve further, and winds could be lightly offshore in the AM. Tide on Thursday is high around 5:30 AM at ~3.5 feet, low around 10:30 AM at ~3 feet, and high around 3:30 PM at ~4 feet.

Friday the 7th some minor SW is due, but this should only bring waist high waves or so to south facing breaks. NW energy is looking nil.

Saturday the 8th looks about the same: waist high SW, barely any NW.

Sunday the 9th the SW is expected to back down, and we should see some westerly swell come in. This is from a storm in the Western Pacific right now that should die off long before reaching our shores (actually about 3000 miles away from us). Size should be around waist to chest on the 9th, angled from 280, periods 13 seconds, but sets sporadic. Models hint at some reform of the storm, which could mean weather and winds, but looking at the long range weather models today around SoCal, this just doesn't add up. More on this over the next few days.

Monday the 10th this WNW swell is expected to peak. Provided there is no reform of this storm in the next few days, Monday would see size running chest+ around west facing breaks, perhaps a bit better at standouts.

Tuesday the 11th is looking like a WNW swell day so far, but I'll need to see how this WestPac storm plays out in the next couple of days.

Wednesday the 12th we should see some southern hemi come up from a storm forming right now near New Zealand. The models don't favor this one having much northward movement, so waist to chest is the call so far, with an ETA on the 12th.

Thursday the 13th or Friday the 14th would be our next swell event, if, that is, you can believe the 132h+ northern hemi models this afternoon. The long range projection in the Western Pacific shows a massive fetch forming south of the Kamchatka Peninsula, whipping up 40-foot seas once within 2900 nautical miles of SoCal. This would mean 16- to 18-second period swell from 280-290, and size potentially a couple feet overhead...Double Overhead if this storm holds together long enough on its eastward trek across the Pacific. But, it's still too early to make a confident call today.
Sounds perfect we leave the 15th...a two day or so of travel....just about right and if not it is what it is...
fishybuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.