Weighing fish during the trip - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Weighing fish during the trip

I just noticed that the Intrepid fishing report stated that a fish taped-out at XXX weight. I was surprised, does that mean they do not have a scale on board? Do they use the tape to determine the jackpot or wait until they get back to the dock? If they wait until their return, do they not gut the fish prior to placing in the RSW slammer? How can the fish cool-down quickly enough if it is not gutted? Wouldn't this negatively affect fish quality & taste, especially the big fish?? (>80#) Since this operation markets itself on offering premier creature comforts and customer service, wouldn't that include the best fish handling possible to create the best product for the customer? It appears to me that the best process for fish handling would begin by carefully placing the fish on the deck, then bleed, spike, wire, weigh on board and then gut and gill then into to the RSW. Carefully retrieving it out of the hold and placing it directly into the slush bins from 5 Star is also a factor to producing a superior product! After experiencing this method on the Royal Star & American Angler, it is far superior at delivering the best quality results compared to any of the other six long range boats I have experienced. The quality of the product is so critical to me that it is at least 60% of my selection process for fishing on a boat. Why kill fish that that do not taste as good as they can when I return? Please, what does everyone else think?

This post edited by singingreel 11/20/2008
singingreel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Weighing fish during the trip

I don't know the Intrepid's way of dealing with fish, but I think most boats, if not all boats need to improve fish handling. Next trip I will brain, bleed and spine all of my fish. don't know if it would take extra tip to get them gutted, but I would like that also.

The days of quantity over quality will end in the future. I fly into SD, so the amount of fish I can take home is pretty limited. I took two (under 50 a piece) boxes of frozed fillets home this year. Excess and regular baggage fee was $90.00. One more box would have been an additional $100.00.

I love the sound of a big fish hitting the deck hard, but I am pretty sure that does not help the meat. More deck padding is needed, and I don't want to point fingers at my boat, cause most are the same, but RSW is only one step.
Trouthead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was on a boat with no scale and they handled the fish RSW. It was the experience of the crew that gutting the fish reduces the weight by a certain percentage. So the deal was that when we got back to the dock, the JP fishes were weighed, the percentage added back and that was the 'official' weight. We all agreed up front that this would be the JP rules.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
HD
Banned

it is virtually impossible to accurately weigh fish on a rocking boat. if you dislike the fish handling practices of the boats you ride, it's time to change boats.
HD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
REK

Kind of early to do RSW on the Intrepid trip. Good for a week, 5 days? So far, what I'm reading, is the RS and AA do the most as to brain, spine, bleed, gill, gut. They should all do it!
REK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Not that I have ever had the need, but from what I read it is pretty typical to tape bigger fish to determine weight...

Anyhow I heard 7 day max on the RSW so most of the fish are frozen the first couple of days... (good ones to donate to people...)
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by REK
Kind of early to do RSW on the Intrepid trip. Good for a week, 5 days?
Where does this information come from? All the reports I have read state that RSW fish are good for 14 days....this is coming fom the sashimi industry.

I will say that all of this is based upon gutting, gilling, and braining your fish. Not sure if parasite infestation increased after one week in fish not gutted. I know it is an issue in some species after 12-24 hours but not sure about tuna......
StillInScrubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have talked to several skippers and they all say about 5-7 max on RSW
Fisherman103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 10:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

I believe they have a scale on the RP also now. That electronic scale is quite expensive and as you have noticed, not waterproof! It's also somewhat time consuming. BUT I really like it too! The other posts are right about weights back at the dock, as for handling the fish, well "there's Hertz and there's not exactly". Lastly, as for the accuracy of weighing on the boat, it's a wonderfully simple example of special relativity. The boats moving, the weighing apparatus is moving, and the fish is moving. As long as they are all in the same inertial framework (no substantial acceleration in the vertical) the weight will be the same as if the weighing were on dry land. Any physicists out there care to explain that better . . . please?

This post edited by sactotuna 11/20/2008
sactotuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 11:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadorPete
I was on a boat with no scale and they handled the fish RSW. It was the experience of the crew that gutting the fish reduces the weight by a certain percentage. So the deal was that when we got back to the dock, the JP fishes were weighed, the percentage added back and that was the 'official' weight. We all agreed up front that this would be the JP rules.
I NEVER would have agreed to that, particularly on a cow trip!

You take a 200 lb. tuna that hasn't fed recently and has an empty stomach, and put that against one of the same size that has spent a night gorging on big squid and you're talking maybe 20 - 30lbs. difference in weight!

As to the question that singingreel asked about taping the fish for the JP..........

Taping a fish will give a ball park weight inside the formula and subject to the fish being taped out correctly to start with. I am not aware of ANY boat that would even consider using the "taped weight" to determine the JP.

For a reference, do a search on how many times in the last 5 years we've seen big 300+ pound tuna come to the dock with a HUGE taped weight only to find out that they were substantialy lighter than the formula said they should be!

FISH HARD!
Baja Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.