Yellowfin vs Bluefin - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yellowfin vs Bluefin

Have any of you been back east to fish for big tuna?
Oakey520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: Yellowfin vs Bluefin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakey520
Have any of you been back east to fish for big tuna?

those aren't tuna. there whales with sickle fins
TUNATOKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Old 04-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

I will be fishing with Basil,Tim Turis and Jim Carlisle for Giants off Prince Edward Island the first week of September this year.

Ken Cirks,
POACHER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

I live east. Are you talking schoolies or giants?
Northy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy
I live east. Are you talking schoolies or giants?

I am from New Jersey, also lived in Boston for three years. I have lived out here in cal for a couple years. have fished for all sizes of bluefins got a 750 lb last year in Ipswich bay...four miles from the dock.....home by lunch drinking a cold beer on my friends deck.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by POACHER

I will be fishing with Basil,Tim Turis and Jim Carlisle for Giants off Prince Edward Island the first week of September this year.

Ken Cirks,
Not sure who those guys are, but sounds like a great trip. Is it still catch and release in PEI? I hear they get real man's tuna up there....rumors that ya see nothing under 500 lbs.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:

Ken Cirks,
Not sure who those guys are, but sounds like a great trip. Is it still catch and release in PEI? I hear they get real man's tuna up there....rumors that ya see nothing under 500 lbs.
They are some very good tuna fishermen, that's who they are. I am looking forward to hearing their evaluation of the species difference.

IMO, pound for pound, YFT kicks BFTs butts by a huge margin.
wahoodad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoodad
Quote:
Quote:

Ken Cirks,
They are some very good tuna fishermen, that's who they are. I am looking forward to hearing their evaluation of the species difference.

I respectfully disagree...and fear this age old argument will never be answered. While I have never caught a big yellowfin(110 lbs) I have caught some big bluefin. The problem lies in the water depth where these giants are taken. you hook a giant bluefin in the abyss from an anchored boat that fish is gone...game over. they catch them in 100-200 feet of water so the bluefins take off on long runs and you can follow them....they never dive down hundreds of feet where the real brutal battles occur. I may never catch a big yellowfin as my desire to pull on big tuna has waned with the years. I am middle aged at 38 and do not have the desire to get into hours long battles. When me and my friends were young we used to get huge old senators or penn int. 80's or 130's and hook giant bluefins on full drag with just a belt. the game was to see how long we could "hang" on. I was a good sized guy at 6'2...225 and used to bench press and squat a ton.I held on for five minutes once...

I had a friend who fished prince edward island years ago back in the 1980's. I may be mistaken but i believe he said they fished them in 80 feet of water. not much place to go other then straight out. The big yellowfin taken on the boats in san diego are big beautiful fish my breath was taken away when I saw the red rooster come in with a few yellowfins over 200 lbs...I could not process what I was looking at. However, if you love tuna, you owe it to yourself to see one that is nine feet long. They are marvels of nature and quite possibly the king of all fish.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoodad
Quote:
Quote:

Ken Cirks,

I respectfully disagree...and fear this age old argument will never be answered. While I have never caught a big yellowfin(110 lbs) I have caught some big bluefin. The problem lies in the water depth where these giants are taken. you hook a giant bluefin in the abyss from an anchored boat that fish is gone...game over. they catch them in 100-200 feet of water so the bluefins take off on long runs and you can follow them....they never dive down hundreds of feet where the real brutal battles occur. I may never catch a big yellowfin as my desire to pull on big tuna has waned with the years. I am middle aged at 38 and do not have the desire to get into hours long battles. When me and my friends were young we used to get huge old senators or penn int. 80's or 130's and hook giant bluefins on full drag with just a belt. the game was to see how long we could "hang" on. I was a good sized guy at 6'2...225 and used to bench press and squat a ton.I held on for five minutes once...

I had a friend who fished prince edward island years ago back in the 1980's. I may be mistaken but i believe he said they fished them in 80 feet of water. not much place to go other then straight out. The big yellowfin taken on the boats in san diego are big beautiful fish my breath was taken away when I saw the red rooster come in with a few yellowfins over 200 lbs...I could not process what I was looking at. However, if you love tuna, you owe it to yourself to see one that is nine feet long. They are marvels of nature and quite possibly the king of all fish.
As I said, pound for pound. We don't catch YFT that are nine feet long, and I fear we wouldn't either

I have caught both species in the 100-120 pound range, and hands down, YFT are much tougher.
One of my buddies who has caught numerous big YFT went to Hatteras and caught 15 big BFT in one day, between 250-500. He said the 170 pound YFTs from the Revillas were way tougher than those, no way he'd catch 15 of that sized fish in one day.

Ask any long range crew member or captain, search the archives on here, this has been debated many times, and most who have caught both give a huge nod to YFT.

Not taking anything away from a fantastic fish, a tuna over 9 feet long is a wonderful thing.
wahoodad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.