For the people who are landlocked.......what got you into long range fishing? - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default For the people who are landlocked.......what got you into long range fishing?

As I watched the news tonight and saw the flooding in Memphis and other places along the Mississippi, I thought of Outhouse (Jon), whom I believe we all have a fondness for, even if we have never met him. I then wondered how people that were raised or live in the interior States of the country got involved in saltwater fishing and long range fishing in particular. I was fortunate to be born and raised in the FL Keys and then moved to Pompano Beach. Since I have always lived on the coast, I have been able to fish at least once a week on average and long range fishing was one of the the missing elements of my fishing experiences. Since most of my friends cannot take lots of time off work for fishing I looked into trips that I could do by myself and going on one of the excellent boats out of San Diego seemed like the perfect way to accomplish my mission. I have not been disappointed, even on "slower" trips. For the people who live inland, how did you get involved with saltwater and/or long range fishing?

This post edited by conchydong 05/09/2011
conchydong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: For the people who are landlocked.......what got you into long range fishing?

I am sort of landlocked now, since I live in Utah, but I was raised in the San Fernando Valley, and I lived 34 years in San Diego. I have always loved fishing, and being in San Diego all those years, Long Range fishing was just a natural for me.
fyermn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default re: For the people who are landlocked.......what got you into long range fishing?

Speaking of Outhouse!: I recall reading an outdoor magazine when I was a young teen ager about a nut named Bill Poole who was taking trips to far away places. I would periodically read such stories as I aged and I finally put this on my bucket list.

When I took my first trip, a five dayer, I thought it would be a one and done type thing but, as I commented in another post, some thoughtful guys lent a helping hand and a bit of encouragement and I became hopelessly hooked. The rising MS river provided a bit of distraction but I find myself checking these boards more than I should.

I do love fishing the Florida keys but since I've traveled west, I've stayed focused there. My boys are urging me to take another trip to the Keys and I suspect we will in the coming couple of years.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not really landlocked. I have lived on the Atlantic coast in Florida for 35 years. In all of my fishing, catching tuna has always appealed to me. On my boat, I can expect to catch 40 lb tuna and scaling down to 30# line makes that lots of fun. However, there is no charter trip available around here where tuna are targeted. They are an incidental catch. About once every three months, the Excel has an ad in one of the National magazines (Sportfishing, I think) and, after seeing the ad and reading an article, I decided in the early 90's to look into it. That is the same time that the few boats doing multi-day trips to the Bahamas stopped doing it due to Bahamaian rule changes so I had some funds to re-allocate. I subscribed to WON for a year, wrote letters to the columnists there, arbitrarily picked the Excel, called them and said "sign me up for a 17 day trip". My first multi-day trip on the West Coast. I owned a Penn 50W and a Penn 140. I rented everything else. Had, to my way of thinking, a GREAT trip, although the experienced fishermen said that it was slow. My first 70# tuna just about killed me. I was hyperventilating and shaking. I went once a year (with more and more of my own gear) until they closed the Islands. Then I started going again in 2006. Got first cows in 2009 and my first Super in 2010. I have tried to convince people at work and people in my fishing club to join me and the universal response is "15 days on a boat - you are crazy". That does not stop them from asking to share in the tuna and wahoo that I bring back. Hopefully, these trips are available and my finances and health hold up for a few more years.
Offshore6 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Tuna fishing is like a drug and BIG tuna fishing is like heroin! BEWARE!!!
SkipJack Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipJack Joe

Hi, my name is David, and I'm a Tunaholic!
wahoodad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoodad
Quote:
Aren't you the founder of T.A.? Tunaholics Anonymous! edit: I did say T.A. not T and A. so it is clean.

This post edited by conchydong 05/11/2011
conchydong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
WORD!!
sactotuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoodad
Quote:

I resemble that remark...

Speaking of which, I am about as landlocked as you can get now, but happily I started Long Range fishing (thank you, Harddrive!) before I moved to Mexico.
Rodless_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

I live in Montana but my family has been taking trips to the North Carolina coast since I was a child. My love of saltwater fishing started there and I still go back 3 weeks a year. I can't consider myself "into long range" (since I have never been on a trip) but I am definitely "interested in long range". My first trip is in January 2012, a 14-day on the Intrepid. I first became interested in long range from reading articles about it in Salt Water Sportsman when I was 16 or 17. I was never able to go because of the cost. What interests me the most about long range is learning the specialized west coast techniques, fishing for new species and seeing what the experience is all about. I think that fishing in new locations, for new species with new techniques is a great way to improve my fishing. Plus it sounds like a great adventure.
HydroSci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.