ALBACORE - Page 2 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default re: :(

Just my 2 cents.

I would like to know the numbers of anglers fishing the landing boats back in the days of higher counts. In the mid 70's when I was in high school I would fish the Holiday three or four times every summer. Back then anything under 60 people on board was a lite load. Every boat was packed with anglers all summer long. IMHO the cost of everything from the trip to all of the equipment have sent people to outer activities.

Plus, I was told back then some landing would inflate the dock totals to get people to the docks.
Gnarly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default re: ALBACORE

I also believe that we are overfishing the species. Their are just to MANY people taking what the ocean has to offer. At one time, it was thought that there was enough fish in the ocean to feed the world forever. As we are finding out, that is not true. I have taken(caught) my share of fish, but absolutely none of it has ever gone to waste ( except possibly for the carcasses at the fish processors). I donate a share of the fish; I share with friends and family; and I give to the local food bank. They are all happy to receive it.

I think that we should all enjoy the sport we love doing, but we must be conscious of what we take from the ocean.
fyermn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyermn
I also believe that we are overfishing the species. Their are just to MANY people taking what the ocean has to offer. At one time, it was thought that there was enough fish in the ocean to feed the world forever. As we are finding out, that is not true. I have taken(caught) my share of fish, but absolutely none of it has ever gone to waste ( except possibly for the carcasses at the fish processors). I donate a share of the fish; I share with friends and family; and I give to the local food bank. They are all happy to receive it.

I think that we should all enjoy the sport we love doing, but we must be conscious of what we take from the ocean.
If you mean "we" as sportfishermen, I have to disagree with you.
Sportfishing is a drop in the bucket compared to the commercial industry.
Also, there are not "too many" taking the fish, it's just a few who are doing the most damage to the stocks.
Take a look at some commercial fishing magazines and you will see floating factories capable of processing fish 24/7 so you can buy it at Ralph's everyday, if you can afford it.
Just had to say that.
Loreto
loretojoe2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ChannelIslands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMKANG
Sorry ChannelIslands. I know it's depressing. I'm just pointing out what I see. I know I will get a lot of hate from people who think I'm greenpeace or peta. I'm not. I"m just making an observation that can be disparaging to people who love to fish. I am one of those people trust me. No fake.
With a join date a couple of months ago and 5 posts it raises my eyebrows as to what your motives are here. As David said it's all about the cycles.

There are species out there that are in trouble, albacore is just not one of them.
ChannelIslands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChannelIslands
There are species out there that are in trouble, albacore is just not one of them.

BINGO! They must not be in trouble, they were unlimited for many years, and I think they only put a limit of ten on to keep us from being pigs. Why you would need more than 5 is beyond me.
wahoodad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
You are a fake! Go away.
:
CLASSIC!
Hithard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

Could be that they have changed their migrating route to adapt to cyclical changes.That 3 or 4 years in the 80's with no albies ,isnt it more like 7 -10, then in about 1994 they started showing up in huge numbers for about 6 years or so and have benn making varied showings since.The summer of the 40 pounders was incredible and that came right out of left feild.Remember the doom and gloom when the Revilla's were closed then the boats had to look elsewhere and look what happened, cows galore on 10 day trips.Only time will tell but my guess is its a water temp and food source/current thing.Im going out on the Vagabond sunday and I know I will be having more fun than I would be at work and its about time for the Bluefins to regain their apetite!.

fishnadct is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoodad
Quote:

BINGO! They must not be in trouble, they were unlimited for many years, and I think they only put a limit of ten on to keep us from being pigs. Why you would need more than 5 is beyond me.

In the 70's when I fished the Holiday people on board would walk off with 20 or more albacore. One guy told me he sold most of his fish to a fish market in Temple City. I think for the most part anglers today are better about a self limit.
Gnarly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #19 (permalink)

Default The condition of the ocean

What about the pollution factor? San Diego is pouring millions of gallons of waste into the sea every day with some treatment and the country beneath us is pouring millions of gallons totally untreated sewage into the ocean. During the 60 and 70's the Coranado Islands were beautiful for diving, it was like a fish bowl. Today that same place is almost a desert. Perhaps albacore just don't like our stinky waters any more. Any way there is a lot that we don't know about our waters still in this day. I would love to go out and get some fish but we have killed the local fishing. No it is not the gill nets, no it is not the fishing, it is the pollution.
Genozzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoodad
Quote:

If I ever get enough time off of work to chase 'em, there's a limit of albacore out there that are definitely endangered!
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.