ALBACORE - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default ALBACORE

Here it is after the 4th of July. What is the status of the Albacore? I have not seen many,if any,reports of them being caught with any numbers. Has anyone been able to catch more than just a few so far, or has the school by-passed Southern California this year?
fyermn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default re: ALBACORE

aisle 6 Costco.....:P
fishybuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hate to be a downer, but as an average working man, this is why I don't invest a lot of money in gear anymore after I had around 2000 dollars of gear stolen. To replace my gear I spent probably a little over 400 dollars for 3 regular rods, 2 Daiwa SL'S, and one Penn 330 GTI. No Avets, Newells, Trinidads, or any of the reels pushing 200 or more. I have fished southern California waters including the overnight tuna fleet in San Diego since as a little kid starting from 1980. The only constant I see is that fishing gets tougher every year. I think I have mentioned a couple of years ago that I used to fish Hermosa Beach pier for yellowtail in the 80's with my dad. Yes, in Southern California yellowtail was a common catch in the 80's off piers. I think Hermosa Beach used to get at least 1 to a few every day during the spring through fall. Remember all of the old polariod pictures with the yellowtails, halibut, sheepshead, and WSB caught on the pier on any given tackle shop located on one? Thanks to pollution and overfishing, you will not see that again ever. Overfishing on a global scale. Watch the yearly counts. Someone one should put up a chart of albacore catches over the years. Sometime in my life, it just won't be worth it anymore. With the exception of the hatchery fishes like WSB, the migratory pelagics, are going to catfood and Chicken of Sea. Alas, I hope I am wrong this year and we have a late season with the 50 lb bruisers. I think that was 2004?

This post edited by SAMKANG 07/08/2011
SAMKANG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

There were some albacore seasons back in the 1950s that were a total bust! A lot of times it has to do with ocean currents, temperature breaks, etc. which determines their eventual migration pattern. Some years (or several in a row) it seems the main body of fish just doesn't come in close enough for us to get a chance. Others, they're within 3/4 boat range. For the sake of the fleet I hope SOMETHING happens soon! Be it albacore, yellowfin, yellows on the paddies, anything! It's hard to get guys to come out fishing when the counts are low...even when the weather is awesome as it has been lately. Come one fish...
wxdunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 01:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

SAM, If your were fishing the boats out of San Diego in the 80's then you should remember there was a stretch there where virtually no albacore caught for like 3 or 4 years. At that time many anglers attributed the lack of albacore to the lack of anchovies. I was on one overnighter back then when most all of the anglers applauded because one dink albie was caught on the troll as they saw it as a sign of things starting to change back to how they had been before. I agree there is a lot involved to make the cards right for the tuna to return in numbers where we can reach them just like Chris mentioned.

This post edited by SoCalAngler 07/08/2011
SoCalAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 02:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am not referring to statistical aberrations. If you smooth out the peaks and valleys over the last 30 years, I am willing to bet the number of albacore caught per year has decreased. For instance let's take a moving average of three years. Let's make it 5 years to account for the 4 or 5 years of drought you mention in the 80's. Over time, I say this average has been on the decline. Just my opinion. I say every year, fishing has been getting poorer and poorer as a blanket statement with pockets of resistance for example WSB this year. (but that is a man-made and artificial fishery likely as a result of WSB pens and hatcheries - I am merely referring to natural stocks which the vast majority of fisheries fall into this category) And for scientific "evidence" to back my assertion. Here is an estimate from the National Marine Fisheries Service on biomass of Albacore in the South Pacific. Their estimate for the North Pacific stock is much more optimistic however, that stock is a fraction of the stock in the South Pacific. http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/fishwatch/i..._chart_bio.gif Here is their chart showing actual landings, not estimates. Obviously over time, the catches are down. Around 50% of what they were in the 50's and 60's when they had much more arcane fishing technology. http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/fishwatch/i...chart_land.gif Here is the link to the page where all this info was found. http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/fishwatch/s...c_albacore.htm As an observant fisherman who looks at sportfishingreport.com on a daily basis during the fishing season and have done since the site launched probably close to 10 years ago, I can tell you that fishing catches by all landings are on a downward path. It's no accident.

This post edited by SAMKANG 07/08/2011
Old 07-08-2011, 02:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ChannelIslands
Default :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENVIRO TROLL
Hate to be a downer, but as an average working man, this is why I don't invest a lot of money in gear anymore after I had around 2000 dollars of gear stolen.

To replace my gear I spent probably a little over 400 dollars for 3 regular rods, 2 Daiwa SL'S, and one Penn 330 GTI. No Avets, Newells, Trinidads, or any of the reels pushing 200 or more.

I have fished southern California waters including the overnight tuna fleet in San Diego since as a little kid starting from 1980.

The only constant I see is that fishing gets tougher every year.

I think I have mentioned a couple of years ago that I used to fish Hermosa Beach pier for yellowtail in the 80's with my dad.

Overfishing on a global scale. Watch the yearly counts. Someone one should put up a chart of albacore catches over the years. Sometime in my life, it just won't be worth it anymore.

With the exception of the hatchery fishes like WSB, the migratory pelagics, are going to catfood and Chicken of Sea.

Alas, I hope I am wrong this year and we have a late season with the 50 lb bruisers. I think that was 2004?
You are a fake! Go away.
ChannelIslands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default re: :(

Sorry ChannelIslands. I know it's depressing. I'm just pointing out what I see. I know I will get a lot of hate from people who think I'm greenpeace or peta. I'm not. I"m just making an observation that can be disparaging to people who love to fish. I am one of those people trust me. No fake.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default re: :(

It's all about cycles dude. You are way off base, like the people who said Boccacio were endangered
wahoodad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Opinions

I can respect Samkang's opinion along with everyone else's opinion. I think he truly believes what he says as well as everyone else does about theirs. Agreeing to disagreeing is okay with me. I fall somewhere in the middle on this subject.
Pelagic Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.