9/15 days jigging/popping trip on the Excel from Jan 22 to Feb 6, 2013 - Page 3 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default re: 9/15 days jigging/popping trip on the Excel from Jan 22 to Feb 6, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishybuzz
Well for the same reason some people attempt to climb Mt Everest without oxygen...or run ultra marathons....or row across the Atlantic solo....I want to attempt to land a cow with a spinner....if I don't no big deal but I want to try it....I've caught them the regular way and from cruisers and LR boats....just want a challenge.

I really like trying new stuff and learning new techniques........fishing is just a series of handicapping ......want to make it harder...use a single speed....or don't use the rail or harness....or no spectra and a small reel... you get the idea.

Using a spinner is making it harder to land a cow ... we understand that.....we know the most efficient way would be with a 80 sized 2 speed reel loaded with 200# spectra...lay it on the rail and grind it in....some keep pointing out that catching one with a spinner will be very difficult...yep but that is the whole point...just like the line class records the lighter the line and the larger the fish the harder it is.

Just like sex ....... I like to spice it up.....and for me attempting to catch large tuna with a spinner is spicing it up big time....

I am looking forward to this trip........gonna be fun.
The sex or the fishing? LMFAO:P

Both....:P
fishybuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 01:06 AM   #22 (permalink)

Default re: 9/15 days jigging/popping trip on the Excel from Jan 22 to Feb 6, 2013

Can I please be the representative from Mexico?

Seriously Jamie/Kil, put my name on the list if there is still room. This is a trip I want to do.
Rodless_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 04:22 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodless_Jim
Can I please be the representative from Mexico?

Seriously Jamie/Kil, put my name on the list if there is still room. This is a trip I want to do.
I am in Cape Cod to fish around Nantucket Island.
I'll put you on the list.
ksong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
BD

I wonder if Furball's Tackle would sponsor one Fishy,,,
BD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 08:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
BD

Quote:
Quote:
Just like sex ....... I like to spice it up.....and for me attempting to catch large tuna with a spinner is spicing it up big time.... I am looking forward to this trip........gonna be fun.
Gett'n "jiggy" with Willie & Fishy! Even as we speak Furballs is working on that 2-Spd 80W Spinner Willy....

This post edited by BD 08/26/2011
BD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD
Quote:
Quote:
Just like sex ....... I like to spice it up.....and for me attempting to catch large tuna with a spinner is spicing it up big time.... I am looking forward to this trip........gonna be fun.
Gett'n "jiggy" with Willie & Fishy! Even as we speak Furballs is working on that 2-Spd 80W Spinner Willy....

Fur ball could sell those puppies for about $119.00 spectra included......buttttttt...

Have you talked to the accounting department about " shipping and handling"???????
fishybuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigGrinder
IMO this Jig/Pop trip will be short lived as most of the jig and pop anglers fish for Bluefin tuna on moving center consoles and often times in shallow water. These anglers are in for a whole new experience fishing aboard a long range boat that sits much higher off the water and does not spin or move towards the fish.

YFT are much stronger for their size than Bluefin are and moving them with 5 to 1 gear ratio spin gear is not an easy task. I have seen evidence of a few 100lb class YFT taken on a LR boat with the new generation spin reels but not many cows (two at most, one with a rail device) and zero super cows. They do have some pretty trick harness and plate gear now made specifically for saltwater spin reels, however the angler will be in some rather exagerated stances for the most part when fishing over the higher rail on a stationary LR boat, cow tuna in this application is pretty much a young man's game the way I see it as the fulcrum point for leverage is your body and rod plate which can equal a lot of pressure to apply when using a longer more parabolic popping rod in 7 to 8 foot lengths.

Most of the larger grade tuna that I have seen taken on the spin gear (mostly Bluefin on the east coast) the angler is using a rather short rod on a low freeboard moving boat using a plate and harness, very similar to the stand up style that we used in the early stages of LR fishing (5.5 to 6' rod with harness and plate and no rail resting) with the major differences of course being a higher rail and much larger stationary LR boat. But I don't see those shorter spin rods casting poppers/stick baits all that well with line coiling over the top of a big spool lip and spiraling through large spin guides placed fairly close together. So unless your are deep jigging with heavies the spin gear has the same tradeoffs as conventional gear when not used in conjunction with the rail: long rod good for casting distance but not so good for fighting, short rod good for fighting but not so good for casting distance. This is where using the rail technique with conventional reels shines: longer rod for better casting and longer rod for better fighting when using the sturdy rail as a fulcrum with leverage advantage on your side vs. lever advantage on the fish's side.

I tried injecting a dose of reality into this topic on several occasions over there on Brain Dead.com (BD) but recently got banned because I was too outspoken and was just sick and tired of a couple of spin reel fanatics constantly commanding threads on the "Long Range" forum that has spear gun fisherman for moderators. (go figure!).

No doubt that spinning reels have come a long way since the early days (as have conventionals) and they make a lot of sense for certain saltwater applications, but when it comes time for fishing for powerful cow and super cow YFT they make little sense to me based on design... so I will take a pass. For the extreme or "daredevil" angler seeking large tuna I guess they are all the rage these days. I wish them well on their quest for a new thrill seekeing adventure in the Long Range arena but honestly believe they are in for a rude awakening especially with those mean, "bad ass", open water YFT that thrive in shark infested Mexican waters.

Tight lines!

Those yellowfins can not be too tough. I have seen more then a few long range boats load and unload and they look like bingo night at a retirement community.
Oakey520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakey520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JigGrinder
IMO this Jig/Pop trip will be short lived as most of the jig and pop anglers fish for Bluefin tuna on moving center consoles and often times in shallow water. These anglers are in for a whole new experience fishing aboard a long range boat that sits much higher off the water and does not spin or move towards the fish. YFT are much stronger for their size than Bluefin are and moving them with 5 to 1 gear ratio spin gear is not an easy task. I have seen evidence of a few 100lb class YFT taken on a LR boat with the new generation spin reels but not many cows (two at most, one with a rail device) and zero super cows. They do have some pretty trick harness and plate gear now made specifically for saltwater spin reels, however the angler will be in some rather exagerated stances for the most part when fishing over the higher rail on a stationary LR boat, cow tuna in this application is pretty much a young man's game the way I see it as the fulcrum point for leverage is your body and rod plate which can equal a lot of pressure to apply when using a longer more parabolic popping rod in 7 to 8 foot lengths. Most of the larger grade tuna that I have seen taken on the spin gear (mostly Bluefin on the east coast) the angler is using a rather short rod on a low freeboard moving boat using a plate and harness, very similar to the stand up style that we used in the early stages of LR fishing (5.5 to 6' rod with harness and plate and no rail resting) with the major differences of course being a higher rail and much larger stationary LR boat. But I don't see those shorter spin rods casting poppers/stick baits all that well with line coiling over the top of a big spool lip and spiraling through large spin guides placed fairly close together. So unless your are deep jigging with heavies the spin gear has the same tradeoffs as conventional gear when not used in conjunction with the rail: long rod good for casting distance but not so good for fighting, short rod good for fighting but not so good for casting distance. This is where using the rail technique with conventional reels shines: longer rod for better casting and longer rod for better fighting when using the sturdy rail as a fulcrum with leverage advantage on your side vs. lever advantage on the fish's side. I tried injecting a dose of reality into this topic on several occasions over there on Brain Dead.com (BD) but recently got banned because I was too outspoken and was just sick and tired of a couple of spin reel fanatics constantly commanding threads on the "Long Range" forum that has spear gun fisherman for moderators. (go figure!). No doubt that spinning reels have come a long way since the early days (as have conventionals) and they make a lot of sense for certain saltwater applications, but when it comes time for fishing for powerful cow and super cow YFT they make little sense to me based on design... so I will take a pass. For the extreme or "daredevil" angler seeking large tuna I guess they are all the rage these days. I wish them well on their quest for a new thrill seekeing adventure in the Long Range arena but honestly believe they are in for a rude awakening especially with those mean, "bad ass", open water YFT that thrive in shark infested Mexican waters. Tight lines!
Those yellowfins can not be too tough. I have seen more then a few long range boats load and unload and they look like bingo night at a retirement community.
Proof is in the pudding as they say... let's see some actual videos of cows being hooked and landed on the spin gear aboard a LR boat before we get too far ahead of ourselves here... the trip is 17 months away so some of these thrill seeking anglers in their 50's and 60's will have time to hit the gym and build their muscle and stamina, as well as get their testosterone and HGH shots in by then. For the record, my money is still on the cow YFT's winning this extreme fishing challenge... angler age, physical condition, and skill set are certainly factors, but its the reel design being used that will be the largest hurdle to overcome IMO. There is one advantage that can come into play for the popper/stick bait fisherman where a large tuna's jaw gets locked up with super sharp and super strong 5X trebles to where the fish cannot breathe properly and tires faster being oxygen deprived. Just glad to see this trip has been scheduled and coming to fruition as the west coast spin reel advocates will finally have a real life opportunity to show the rest of the Long Range community just how well the spin reel design truly pans out and performs on larger to cow grade YFT, and how much fun and/or pain is really involved if one is up to this extreme challenge. Tight lines!

This post edited by JigGrinder 08/26/2011
JigGrinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #29 (permalink)

Excel Sportfishing encourages anyone with any questions or concerns to contact us, we will be happy to answer all of you questions and address your concerns. Thank You
(619)223-7493.
EXCELSPORTFISH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 07:04 AM   #30 (permalink)

Welcome to the board Excel. Its nice to have LR boat representation here to give us the real scoop. Look forward to reading more reports and info.
conchydong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.