RR3 Angler under investigation for selling fish - Page 2 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default re: RR3 Angler under investigation for selling fish

sorry if i pissed folks off but the point i,m trying to make is catch what ya need use what ya catch //only a few fisherman kill the highest % of this most val. res.
I;m not sure its the correct thing to be doing!??
chester smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reel man
Let's not be too presumptive of his guilt until the whole story comes out. He may have received monies for the processing cost from a friend or relative, in which case would be acceptable if the fish was given as a gift.
I met all three of the guys on that trip and I would like to say, you'll be hard pressed to meet finer guys. They offered there EMT service to the captain right off the bat. They were extremely professional, and courteous. I would agree, let it play out. I would also add we all make mistakes, so goes with saying.

However, have to wonder what type of witch-hunt this might be. I say that cause my understanding these guys fish but are not your 5 + trip or so a year guys. And yes they took a few fish home but no more than many others. So my last point why not spend the time and money catching the real poachers, and quit wasting you guys tax dollars....
phanton1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanton1
I met all three of the guys on that trip and I would like to say, you'll be hard pressed to meet finer guys. They offered there EMT service to the captain right off the bat. They were extremely professional, and courteous. I would agree, let it play out. I would also add we all make mistakes, so goes with saying.
prisons are full of fine, professional, philanthropic guys who all made a "mistake"....and who all obviously got caught on their very first time of unknowingly breaking the law - laws that are made for ALL of us.

why cant sport-caught fish be sold? so that their isnt an endless merry-go-round of private boats heading out, catching a limit, heading in, selling their limit, heading back out to repeat the process. evfen with this law, are there still some who think they are slick? yup...just like in any other industry.
Wils is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Follow the money to find the answer to this one
phanton1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default Some words on this from Tim Ekstrom

There was a pretty disappointing news story that came out yesterday detailing a veteran long range angler coming off a January 15 day voyage being caught up in a CDFG investigation for selling his catch. Though this was not an angler that fished aboard Royal Star the circumstance does call for some broad reflection; we all have much at stake here.

I?m not going to get on a soap box and preach morality, we all have our share of transgressions punished and unpunished, I am simply going to make a sincere request for everyone to seriously consider the value of this fishery to ourselves and others looking forward. The long range fishery in Mexico is a privilege afforded to an extremely fortunate few. It is a privilege that can be taken away in the snap of two fingers by the Government of Mexico. Although we have forged strong relationships across the border as an industry we still have our share of detractors. The above mentioned negative news is the kind of cannon fodder such opponents are only too happy to receive; and even more happy to use.

...Please don?t succumb to any ideas about financially profiting from the product that comes from your long range trip. This is the kind of situation that creates inexpressible angst to those of us dependent on this fishery for our livelihood.
Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #16 (permalink)

Default re: Some words on this from Tim Ekstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve K
There was a pretty disappointing news story that came out yesterday detailing a veteran long range angler coming off a January 15 day voyage being caught up in a CDFG investigation for selling his catch. Though this was not an angler that fished aboard Royal Star the circumstance does call for some broad reflection; we all have much at stake here.

I?m not going to get on a soap box and preach morality, we all have our share of transgressions punished and unpunished, I am simply going to make a sincere request for everyone to seriously consider the value of this fishery to ourselves and others looking forward. The long range fishery in Mexico is a privilege afforded to an extremely fortunate few. It is a privilege that can be taken away in the snap of two fingers by the Government of Mexico. Although we have forged strong relationships across the border as an industry we still have our share of detractors. The above mentioned negative news is the kind of cannon fodder such opponents are only too happy to receive; and even more happy to use.

...Please don?t succumb to any ideas about financially profiting from the product that comes from your long range trip. This is the kind of situation that creates inexpressible angst to those of us dependent on this fishery for our livelihood.
Very well said, as you'd expect, by Tim.
sactotuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

exactly.......Thanks Tim......

and we wonder why it is becoming more and more difficult to Fish in Mexico.

b][/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sactotuna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve K

Very well said, as you'd expect, by Tim.
fishybuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

For arguments sake, here is a hypothetical situation.. let's say a guy makes 100K per year. A 15 day all in has to be $5,000. So this person is spending 5% of his pre-taxed annual income on one fishing trip. That is way to much in my opinion. When people stretch like this is when selling fish comes into play in order to recoup some cash. I would not think a tuna caught on a long range trip is market quality when it hits the dock so I do not think there is any real money to be made. Just some cash to soften the blow. Innocent until proven guilty and I am sure it was a misunderstanding. I have to much respect for fireman to think otherwise.
Oakey520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to fshman1

From a person who has fished long range for many years,we have all seen it at one time or other,someone catches over 30 wahoo or over 20 tuna or having nearly 2 carts full of fish at the docks.No one accuses anybody of selling or maybe even donating fish to a charity.The crews on the boats keep a pretty close tabs on daily catches and who has caught what?If there is any abuse here,who shares the blame?I really dont't care if someone needs to sell a fish or two,I care more about risking losing the sports fishery we all enjoy..IMO Ray
fshman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

PLEASE practice catch & release once you have enough fish for you, your friends and family to eat. I think some LR boats should preach more C&R than they actually do, like Tim E says, the LR industry's livelihood is on the line here. It is truly a privilege to be able to fish in Mexican waters (everyone needs to get that), and we MUST not abuse this fine fishery. Nobody is perfect and **** happens but it needs to be well known to all who fish LR that C&R and NO selling of fish are both vital components to a continued win/win relationship with Mexico. They should act no differently than we would if things worked in reverse... no free lunch to be had anywhere in this world, its all about give and take... not just take! Tight lines!

This post edited by JigGrinder 02/18/2012
JigGrinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.