RR3 Angler under investigation for selling fish - Page 3 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default I forgot....

most of you dedicated long range guys dont care about the "whys" of the MPAs, california regulations and the situation we poor folk face within just a few of our own home ports. and it only takes one "distinguished gentleman" to **** it up for the rest of us...thank you very much.

Question: how can a Mexican filet o'tuna be distinguished from a USA filet o'tuna?
Wils is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Default re: RR3 Angler under investigation for selling fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wils
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanton1
I met all three of the guys on that trip and I would like to say, you'll be hard pressed to meet finer guys. They offered there EMT service to the captain right off the bat. They were extremely professional, and courteous. I would agree, let it play out. I would also add we all make mistakes, so goes with saying.
prisons are full of fine, professional, philanthropic guys who all made a "mistake"....and who all obviously got caught on their very first time of unknowingly breaking the law - laws that are made for ALL of us.

why cant sport-caught fish be sold? so that their isnt an endless merry-go-round of private boats heading out, catching a limit, heading in, selling their limit, heading back out to repeat the process. evfen with this law, are there still some who think they are slick? yup...just like in any other industry.

it's happening already , wils. i'd bet if you looked in the freezers of the sanctimonious jerks cheering on the witch hunt, you'd find way more than a two day limit in possession. the same guys going out day after day getting thier limit of salmon,wsb,lobster,the list is long.

they claim everyone in thier family , thier maid, gardener,etc stores thier catch in one deep freezer.

years ago there was a guy (he posted quite often here) that had a commercial license on his sportfisher.(i suspected) he was taking his commercial placards off and fishing tuna in mexican waters.(i suspected) he'd catch his sport limit in mexico then replace the placards once he was back in US waters...VIOLA ! commercial caught tuna in US waters...(i suspected)he was taking them to one of the wholesale markets i frequent in los angeles and selling them.
(lets say) i caught the fker redhanded..i (would have) explained to him that it would be best for his health and safety if i never saw or heard about him again..

i didn't , he disappeared and quit posting
TAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #23 (permalink)

You are so right Chris I was on that trip and all the fire man were such right on guys and plight and helpful they certainly new the law. I feel and hope this never happened It just shows you it does not have to be the guy you think might do something like this but the guy YOU NEVER would think would do this SO very sorry for all of us who love this sport oldmanmike
oldmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishybuzz
this will get some people's attention......mostly Mexican authorities .
It has. BIG time.
Rodless_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodless_Jim
Quote:
It has. BIG time.

One would think Mexican authorities have a **** of a lot worse things to worry about then a guy selling some ten day old tuna out of his trunk.
Oakey520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakey520
Quote:
Quote:
It has. BIG time.

One would think Mexican authorities have a **** of a lot worse things to worry about then a guy selling some ten day old tuna out of his trunk.

well it depends on what that Mexican authority's job is......sorta like here in the U.S.
fishybuzz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It has. BIG time.

well it depends on what that Mexican authority's job is......sorta like here in the U.S.

Point well taken.

If it was a commercial operation I would see where fish and game would get involved ; one guy breaking the law selling fish to individual consumers should not cause to much concern. No way these long range fish are market grade so no large scale illegal poaching of Mexican Tuna should occur. You will just have an occasional cowboy go rogue and try and sell some tuna to recoup expenses. Not saying it is right, but it happens in all fisheries, everyday. Seems like the relationship between the long range fleet and the Mexican government is a fickle one. I hope this works out well for all.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It has. BIG time.

The people here who are paying attention are convinced (for cultural reasons) that if the police caught one angler selling sport-caught fish, there must be hundreds who sell their fish illegally and don't get caught.

There is a lot more to the story, but that is it in a nutshell. Many anglers won't understand or believe it, but this one news story has already caused enormous, and I mean ENORMOUS damage to the image of the long range fleet. It's not out in the open yet, but it will be. Elections are coming, and this kind of story generates the kind of headlines politicians want.

For now, there is an angry, icy silence from a lot of people who have been...at least until now!...real and staunch friends of all San Diego-based anglers.

As I said, it has caught the attention of the Mexican authorities in a big way.
Rodless_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It has. BIG time.

The people here who are paying attention are convinced (for cultural reasons) that if the police caught one angler selling sport-caught fish, there must be hundreds who sell their fish illegally and don't get caught.

There is a lot more to the story, but that is it in a nutshell. Many anglers won't understand or believe it, but this one news story has already caused enormous, and I mean ENORMOUS damage to the image of the long range fleet. It's not out in the open yet, but it will be. Elections are coming, and this kind of story generates the kind of headlines politicians want.

For now, there is an angry, icy silence from a lot of people who have been...at least until now!...real and staunch friends of all San Diego-based anglers.

Maybe it is time for our government to put forth some rules that will calm the masses. Break laws regarding the sale of tuna caught in Mexican waters, bag limits etc then lose your Mexican fishing license for one year. Second offense five years etc.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It has. BIG time.

Maybe it is time for our government to put forth some rules that will calm the masses. Break laws regarding the sale of tuna caught in Mexican waters, bag limits etc then lose your Mexican fishing license for one year. Second offense five years etc.

i disagree...it sounds like all rules concerning the mexicans were covered...the law that is in question is a US one concerning the sale of sport caught fish..i think the mexican gov could care less
TAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.