RR3 Angler under investigation for selling fish - Page 6 - Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #51 (permalink)

Default re: RR3 Angler under investigation for selling fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hand
I rarely post on these boards now that I no longer make that great trip west for our annual long range fishing trip. My fishing experiences now are vicarious, mainly from reading the activities of others on these boards. However, as a retired American diplomat I feel compelled to strongly support the information posted above by Rodless Jim. In the intercourse between and among sovereign nations perception is reality. Jim has it exactly right. One incident of illegal selling of sport caught fish can become the impetus for a crusade by politicians seeking specific aims and goals. I have seen the United States vilified for seemingly innocuous events that are publicized, often inaccurately, that led to riots and even wide-spread deaths in the name of political ends. Could this single event of selling a few fish could lead to Mexican legislation banning U.S. sportfishing boats from Mexican waters? Probably not. However, never underestimate the power of malevolent politicians. There are many Americans that see Mexico as an economic threat to U.S. by stealing jobs and U.S. politicians take every advantage of that thinking to win votes. By the same token, there are Mexican politicians who see it to their advantage to paint their powerful neighbor to the north as an economic threat stealing from good honest Mexicans. If Rodless Jim has gotten queries about this event from persons at high levels in the Mexican government, it is an important political event ? period, full stop! This single publicized event may fade away or it may become a cause celebre for some Mexican politician. We can but wait and see. Should additional similar events occur and be publicized, then look out gang because the future of U.S. sporsfishing in Mexican waters very well may be at significant risk. Just my opinion OH
Its a shame.

This post edited by gernsey 02/22/2012
gernsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #52 (permalink)

I don?t doubt much of what has been said about hotel owners and sport fishing operations in Mexico wanting to shut out non-Mexican fishing operations (I see nothing wrong with them wanting do this) but I don?t see how they could use the fact that a guy in the US is being prosecuted for selling sport-cost fish to help them. If anything, I think it would have the opposite effect. If it?s a commercial boat in disguise, why is the guy being prosecuted? Now if the story showed that a large percentage the sport-caught fish taken by San Diego sport boats was being sold illegally at the landings, and the authorities were turning a blind-eye to it, I would feel differently.

Following the money, I believe most any sport-caught fish has a more positive economic impact, and generates a lot more tax revenue than does a similar commercial caught fish.

Realistically, how much impact can long-range US sportfishing operations truly have on hotels in Baja Mexico? Ten boats, thirty passengers on each, two to a room only amount to a maximum of 150 rooms a day. That said, given the large number of overnight and two day boats in the summer months, it likely does have an impact on the northern-most Mexican hotels, but certainly not south of San Martin.

I find it surprising (albeit amusing) that a Mexican coastal fisherman can be convinced that bunch of old fat gringos with $200 sunglasses, $50 tee-shirts and shiny thousand-dollar outfits are commercial fisherman. I?d be willing to bet that most any self-respecting tree-hugger would rather see sport-caught fish sold and eaten, then indiscriminately killed and thrown away.

All that said, people selling sport caught fish are doing so illegally and should caught and prosecuted. I have been following this thread and I do not think anyone posting here has indicated otherwise, I certainly have not.

Incidentally, it?s great to have a hot thread for a change?
mogandave is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 03:54 AM   #53 (permalink)

Shame on us for catching and fining one of our own! You would think that Mexican government would be appreciative that U.S. authorities were actually doing their job properly, and for exposing the individual LR angler who was trying to cheat the system. We didn't just sweep the violation under the carpet like many countries would have done. I truly have to believe that Mexican authorities have much larger fish to fry in fighting the war on drugs and convicting drug lords and related thugs who are committing way more serious crimes on a daily basis than one not so smart LR angler ever did by selling some sport caught fish. Wonder how much revenue the Mexican hotels and sport fishing operators have lost over the brutal murder of citizens, innocent tourists, and local officials at the hands of the drug lords and their thugs. The Mexican government should be spending their time, energy and resources tracking down those home grown criminals rather than getting too wrapped up in the over regulation of a couple dozen San Diego based sportfishing boats if they are seriously concerned with any loss of tourism revenue. I believe that it is a privilege for us to fish in Mexican waters, we have been doing so for over 45 years now via mutual respect... and the recent laws enacted regarding tourist visas didn't seem to indicate any reluctance to allow us to continue to sport fish in Mexico, the Mexicans were basically revising the cost for us to partake. With all the bad press that Mexico has received in recent years regarding the increased violence and escalated murder rates, I would have to think that they surely would not want to restrict or eliminate any form of revenue derived from tourism, whether it be from San Diego based LR boats fishing legally in Mexican waters or any other foreigner purchasing a visa, fishing license, goods or services. Tight lines!

This post edited by JigGrinder 02/23/2012
JigGrinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigGrinder
Shame on us for catching and fining one of our own! You would think that Mexican government would be appreciative that U.S. authorities were actually doing their job properly, and for exposing the individual LR angler who was trying to cheat the system. We didn't just sweep the violation under the carpet like many countries would have done.

I truly have to believe that Mexican authorities have much larger fish to fry in fighting the war on drugs and convicting drug lords and related thugs who are committing way more serious crimes on a daily basis than one not so smart LR angler ever did by selling some sport caught fish. Wonder how much revenue the Mexican hotels and sport fishing operators have lost over the brutal murder of citizens, innocent tourists, and local officials at the hands of the drug lords and their thugs. They Mexican government should be spending their time, energy and money tracking down those home grown criminals rather than getting too wrapped up in the over regulation of a couple dozen San Diego based sportfishing boats if they are seriously concerned with any loss of tourism revenue.

I believe that it is a privilege for us to fish in Mexican waters, we have been doing so for over 45 years now via mutual respect... and the recent laws enacted regarding tourist visas didn't seem to indicate any reluctance to allow us to continue to sport fish in Mexico, the Mexicans were basically revising the cost for us to partake. With all the bad press that Mexico has received in recent years regarding the increased violence and escalated murder rates, I would have to think that they surely would not want to restrict or eliminate any form of revenue derived from tourism, whether it be from San Diego based LR boats fishing legally in Mexican waters or any other foreigner purchasing a visa, goods or services.

Tight lines!

You could not have said that more eloquently.
Pelagic Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #55 (permalink)

Perhaps a few of the Mexican politicians who are in power could be encouraged (officially invited) to get on a LR boat that was docked in Cabo (fly in/fly out trip) to check out an operation and its anglers who are using thousand dollar plus rod & reel outfits rather than long lines or large nets or jig poles to catch gamefish one at a time. And why not spiff a LR trip for a Mexican authority or their designated observer (rather than one of our own paid advocates who is surely precieved by Mexicans to be on our side) so they could see first hand how a LR boat operates as far as catching sport fish. Pretty hard to misconstrue what you see and experience with your own eyes. The official or designee could talk face to face with the captain and crew and view how fish are individually gaffed or released and how they are often processed onboard so that the fish are kept fresh for the anglers personal use and NOT overharvested or wasted. Officials could also witness first hand that a few LR sport boats fishing offshore are truly not a direct conflict or serious threat to Mexican commercial fisherman who are actually fishing for a living. Last time I checked we still had senators and/or other government officials in this counrty who often travel to destinations (even to foreign lands) to check out first hand what is happening in an area or region where there is a reported or "campaigned" conflict of interest... why would the Mexican government be any different? And seriously, don't we have mucho contact and other business relations happening every day of the week with the Mexican government? And don't numerous other U.S. owned companies build and manufacture products in Mexico, one would think we must have many business relationships with Mexico other than Corona, the Double X brand of beers and LR sport fishing... right? Maybe the LR industry and SAC should hire "the most interesting man in the world" to legitimize the LR industry to Mexican authorities who have concern ;-). I personally just don't understand how the powers to be in Mexico could be sold on the fact that our rather small LR sport fishing industry could ever be considered a serious commerical threat to their valued fish populations or even a threat to any significant lost tourism revenue to the point where they would go through the political and legal motions to shut LR sport fishing down and not allow San Diego based LR "sport" boats to fish in Mexico. I believe that the Mexican government knows exactly how much mutual business interest they have with our country... and let's be real here, who is helping the Mexicans more than us when it comes to the serious drug lord wars going on in their country that are flat out killing tourism revenue when the brutal acts of violence and murder of innocent victums get broadcasted via numerous media outlets to the rest of the world?... look at the uproar and bad press Mexico got right here on BD when a LR crew member from the Intrepid (Kona Mike) who got off the beaten path while at a stop over in Cabo (a premier tourist destination in Mexico) got robbed and was shot in the face by a thug! Trust me, the true politicians in Mexico who run the country have to know who their real business partners are and who their true conflict allies are, and they also know who is raping them financially and morally (and it isn't us). I'm sure there are some corrupt politicians in Mexico who can be bought or swayed (perhaps even at gun point) to vote one way on certain issues or legal enactment (we have those kind in our own country too), but the bottom line here is that Mexico seriously needs all the revenue that they can get from legitimate outside sources and via sound foreign business who abide by the laws and rules set forth by the Mexican government. When considering today's tough world economy most countries will be encouraging and promoting tourism and trade not eliminating it or scaring foreign owned business away with over regulation and mega high crime/murder rates. Tight lines!

This post edited by JigGrinder 02/27/2012
Old 02-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #56 (permalink)

be careful in PV cow hunters!

http://news.yahoo.com/22-tourists-robbed-mexico-bus-assault-010511754.html
Oakey520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #57 (permalink)

[quote=Oakey520]be careful in PV cow hunters!

I heard the attack/robbery was done was done by a Mexican environmental organization in retaliation for Americans selling sport-caught fish.
mogandave is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #58 (permalink)

[quote=mogandave]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakey520
be careful in PV cow hunters!

I heard the attack/robbery was done was done by a Mexican environmental organization in retaliation for Americans selling sport-caught fish.

:P
Oakey520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #59 (permalink)

[quote=Oakey520][quote=mogandave]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakey520
be careful in PV cow hunters! I heard the attack/robbery was done was done by a Mexican environmental organization in retaliation for Americans selling sport-caught fish.
Yeah its press like this that really makes you want to go to Mexico and stay at a hotel and use other local services... cant imagine why they are loosing tourism revenue in popular destinations... must be those LR boats that don't come into port (go figure!). Tight lines!

This post edited by JigGrinder 02/27/2012
Old 02-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #60 (permalink)

Just a FYI tourism was UP last year in Mexico......
fishybuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.